XPO | Con-way being sold.

Again, no first amemendment rights. It's a private site. Yes, this page is for Conway employees to discuss Conway issues. Just like all the other boards for all the other carriers on here. Every thread derails into union non union crap. And yep, I'm getting it under control going forward. You will see there are a lot of unintelligent responses here from trolls, as well as good questions asked from employees and people outside the company.

So, yeah... I will be moderating more closely to ensure things stay on track. Sorry if you don't like that. Don't really care to be honest.
I would have thought the Con-Way employees would have chosen a less sarcastic moderator also. As you so eloquently put it though, I don't really care for your opinion or your sarcasm either. How about that, we already agree on something.

I would have thought the Con-Way employees would have chosen a less sarcastic moderator also. As you so eloquently put it though, I don't really care for your opinion or your sarcasm either. How about that, we already agree on something.
No sarcasm at all. The truth. Since your not an employee, it should be no concern of yours. Carry on.

It's not an inflated price.

If anything , it's a great deal for XPO and , whatever their intentions with Con-way they have shown XPO is at the very least financially savy by trying to buy Con-way when it's down in value.

Some financial analyst show Con-way having a stock price rebounding into the mid $50's - and that's with the current management team.

Just in my region alone we've walked away from freight - good freight simply because management would have to actually work to organise equipment and personnel to service the customer. Then you have LEAN. We're more topheavy than Pam Anderson. And look how we run our linehaul - our major competitors RUN all 48. We send a guy out to the same place and cross our fingers every morning that he can make it back in time every morning. All of the terminals we have , yet this is the best we can do?

This is just a FEW of the ways Con-way could unlock MORE $avings and waste less. This IS a deal for a smart buyer.

You may very well be correct about the market seeing this as a bargin. I was referring to the 30% premium that XPO was paying to acquire it though.

You may very well be correct about the market seeing this as a bargin. I was referring to the 30% premium that XPO was paying to acquire it though.
It's debatable if it's a premium or not - this part is new to me ( owning a decent amount of stock in a company when an offer is made to buy the company ) The next day there were class action lawsuits based on XPO's offer being TOO low.

It's debatable if it's a premium or not - this part is new to me ( owning a decent amount of stock in a company when an offer is made to buy the company ) The next day there were class action lawsuits based on XPO's offer being TOO low.

Just about every money managing firm has launched investigations to get more money for this transaction. And he thinks they paid to much. There is always that one guy, somewhere.

They ( the stockholders) better take the money and go with it. Their precious stock would be a lot less if Conway continued on its previous path with old management.

They ( the stockholders) better take the money and go with it. Their precious stock would be a lot less if Conway continued on its previous path with old management.
I agree with you on this. It feels like behind the scenes , there may have been pressure to make a change in upper management.

Remember , as far as publicly , there's been NO support for the current management team to stay. Con-way wouldn't be a great deal as far as a low stock price if THIS team hadn't led Con-way so POORLY. Almost makes you wonder.........

if things get too bad xpo you can always go drive for yrc fright They wont hold it against you cause your nonunion....but.......BE TRUE TO BLUE

Anyone that follows the stock market for investing or just for wanting to know what goes on in their company, are very aware of the why mergers & acqusitons happen. Con-way was sitting on a boat load of money in the bank. The only reason to keep lots of money is to re-invest in the business by buying back shares and equipment, buy someone or have this heap of dough sitting that makes other companies want to buy you because all that cash becomes theirs and actually reduces the price and risk of buying you. This guy Jacobs isn't what I would call a raider, he's more like a billionaire kid buying up as many toys as he can to win the game. Con-way has the toy trucks moving the other toys to their playhouse.

I just wonder how they will get the LTL driver more miles? Will they run us like Estes and OD?
Reduce purchase transport. If we did not run purchase we would be all over the highways. We are second only to FredEx when it comes to freight tonnage. Thats how. I hope.....

[QUOTEeicuicp, post: 965516, member: 249"]I agree with you on this. It feels like behind the scenes , there may have been pressure to make a change in upper management.

Remember , as far as publicly , there's been NO support for the current management team to stay. Con-way wouldn't be a great deal as far as a low stock price if THIS team hadn't led Con-way so POORLY. Almost makes you wonder.........[/QUOTE]
I just read in one of the many articles about this that analysts and consultants have been pushing the board of directors at Conway for some time to make Management changes. They knew that things were out of control.

A little bird in Ann Arbor told me that XPO really liked the idea of of Star Cards and they're going to take that idea all across XPO.

No lie...

Don't say I told you this, but...............XPO is so impressed with our application of Lean and its effect on the operations, that they can't wait to implement it throughout the rest of their companies. Shhhh.......they only want us for our "Lean-ness"......and the Lean experts we have developed. That's what they really want..........No, really............I am serious here..................no snickering there in the back, I can hear that............

Reduce purchase transport. If we did not run purchase we would be all over the highways. We are second only to FredEx when it comes to freight tonnage. Thats how. I hope.....

Well, reduce out of network purchase carriers. He will surely use his extensive fleet of O/O and independent contractors to move stuff.

Well, reduce out of network purchase carriers. He will surely use his extensive fleet of O/O and independent contractors to move stuff.
There's this: Con-way has a truckload division with owner operators. When Con-way picked up this latest version of truckload upper management was asked :
Why doesn't Con-way Truckload get the majority of subservice freight? ( subservice is Con-way's name for freight that goes on contractors trailers )

The answer: Con-way Freight doesn't pay enough for Con-way Truckload to pull their own companies freight. Con-way Truckload will only take the Con-way Freight runs that pay enough.

Amazingly enough , there's always some other company ( CRST , Werner , etc...) that will pull Con-way Freight runs that don't pay enough for it's own Truckload division to haul.