XPO | Con-way freight sucks!! please reply

I am a CFO of a corporation in the LTL industry. That corporation provides services to several LTL carriers.

Thanks you sir for letting us know what you do. That lets us know where your coming from. I appreciate it.

Hey slim, 3PLs and 4PLs are changing the industry not destroying it. Further I didn't realize the industry belonged to anyone.

There's a ton I don't know, and nobody is under any obligation to accept my opinions. I'm here to share them once in awhile. I'd hardly call that pushing an agenda onto anyone.

As to the duties of this CFO, I get them done and from time to time I come here for a bit of insight and entertainment. Pre internet I had to rely on the suggestion boxes and bathroom walls.

Have a wonderful day :)

"Pre internet I had to rely on the suggestion boxes and bathroom walls." Really? Your bio says you are a whopping 43 years young. The internet evolved commercially in 1988. That would put you at 19 years old. So you were perusing the bathroom stalls and opening the boxes to gather your gossip at 19 years of age? PLEASE!!!! The bottom line here with Mr. ex is he is either lying about his age, which means he can't be trusted with any other truthful exchanges. Or he is wet behind the ears and has no clue as to what sacrifices were made in order to build this standard of living we enjoy in LTL. Either way, if he is indeed a CFO of a 3pl it would explain his motivation here. A union contract with defined pay and benefits language equals a win for you guys and gals, and a loss for him. TE out...

"Pre internet I had to rely on the suggestion boxes and bathroom walls." Really? Your bio says you are a whopping 43 years young. The internet evolved commercially in 1988. That would put you at 19 years old. So you were perusing the bathroom stalls and opening the boxes to gather your gossip at 19 years of age? PLEASE!!!! The bottom line here with Mr. ex is he is either lying about his age, which means he can't be trusted with any other truthful exchanges. Or he is wet behind the ears and has no clue as to what sacrifices were made in order to build this standard of living we enjoy in LTL. Either way, if he is indeed a CFO of a 3pl it would explain his motivation here. A union contract with defined pay and benefits language equals a win for you guys and gals, and a loss for him. TE out...

Please don't start bringing that stuff up again.

Dude. The internet was all dial up in the 90's. You couldn't surf endlessly like you do now. And there were only so many good pages. Web developers were just figuring it out. Using 2000 it puts him at 31 by your count. But this is really just another useless post from you. Maybe your audience is on another forum.

Hey T.E.,

Not lying about my age nor my experience. You've been around long enough...from some of our PM's it's apparent that we know some of the same people so let's go back to our GITC days. I had been in the industry for more than 10 years when I left GITC and they still didn't have internet access in any of their terminals, so what's your point?

As far as the sacrifices that were made, you didn't have to be in the Civil War to know what all the fighting was about.

Lastly, our employees are compensated extremely well; I've discussed it in other threads. A union contract would be a loss for everybody except the IBT. Not too different than our justice system where often times the only winners are the attorneys.

Hey T.E.,

Not lying about my age nor my experience. You've been around long enough...from some of our PM's it's apparent that we know some of the same people so let's go back to our GITC days. I had been in the industry for more than 10 years when I left GITC and they still didn't have internet access in any of their terminals, so what's your point?

As far as the sacrifices that were made, you didn't have to be in the Civil War to know what all the fighting was about.

Lastly, our employees are compensated extremely well; I've discussed it in other threads. A union contract would be a loss for everybody except the IBT. Not too different than our justice system where often times the only winners are the attorneys.

While I can't argue with your last statement, I'm going to have to politely disagree with the statement that we are compensated "extremely well". When I talk to other drivers from other carriers (both union and non) in the street and hear their compensation package and the fact that they do a lot less physical labor than us, I'm very disappointed with what we get. I get the feeling that somewhere in Ann Arbor there's a board room full of guys in suits who spend their entire day laughing their heads off at us drivers, saying "Can you believe those idiots, they actually BUY this whole Con-way Culture thing!!! They are SO STUPID!!!!" What they make off of us for what we get and how hard we have to work to get it, I just can't believe it sometimes.

While I can't argue with your last statement, I'm going to have to politely disagree with the statement that we are compensated "extremely well". When I talk to other drivers from other carriers (both union and non) in the street and hear their compensation package and the fact that they do a lot less physical labor than us, I'm very disappointed with what we get. I get the feeling that somewhere in Ann Arbor there's a board room full of guys in suits who spend their entire day laughing their heads off at us drivers, saying "Can you believe those idiots, they actually BUY this whole Con-way Culture thing!!! They are SO STUPID!!!!" What they make off of us for what we get and how hard we have to work to get it, I just can't believe it sometimes.
You might want to brace for impact nncnwydude, I got a feelin some not so friendy posts are comin your way:732:

There is some validity in the above post.

In regards to the compensation issue...you will see a narrowing of the gap in the near future. Trucking companies are now on the ropes trying to find CSA compliant/qualified drivers. The CSA initiative has by virtue of the threat of intercession forced these companies to come to grips with some harsh realities. It has closed loopholes and made employers as responsible as the driver for violations and infractions.

If a driver/company receives enough of these violations the government will set up house on the premises.

If a driver has a hazmat endorsement and a clean record they can almost name their own price...and it is only going to get better.

The one glaring reality now becoming uncomfortably apparent to these carriers is no one wants this job anymore...for a variety of reasons. For years many of these shady operations have taken advantage of the unitiated driver...being 'green' in this business meant being ignorant of the way things tick. These companies knew this and took advantage of it...and when a driver got some time in the biz and realized the screwing they were getting they moved on.

These companies were not worried...there was an endless pool of suckers to chose from...some of these organizations had a 50+% yearly turnover...and stayed in business.

This is no longer the case. People do not want to deal with the trucking biz...too many regs...too many rules...and entirely too much corporate BS!!!! Then add into the mix the continous scrutiny and ever increasing government manipulation of the industry...many believe it just isn't worth the hassle...and they are absolutely correct in their assumptions.

This is now a business to be avoided.

These carriers are just now realizing the dilemna they are facing...the 'pool' is drying up. Drivers with the qualifications and required endorsements are at a premium.

The major thrust in the market for TL carriers is 'dedicated' freight...this allows carriers to assign runs to drivers and give them a definitive schedule....something of a radical departure from days gone by. Now these companies can recruit people and offer a work schedule....not the 'home once a month for a couple of days' BS. People will not accept that type of uncertainty any more...

Culture?....there is no culture. There hasn't been a truck driving culture for years. That died when companies decided to no longer recognize the 'profession' of truck driving. The death of the professional driver was fueled by snot-nosed college graduates with absolutely zero background in the trucking business.

Peeps with degrees in accounting...logistics...sales...HR...et al...ad nauseum.

There isn't any board room in Ann Arbor where folks are laughing at the drivers...but there is the 'in your face' over the top arrogance constantly reminding drivers of the 'benefit' of their employment. And in their ignorance the people at the palace firmly believe this makes a difference...it doesn't.

Keep The Dream Alive?....there hasn't been a dream for years...only the ever continuing nightmare the employees must endure to maintain their jobs...at the hands of people who haven't a clue...and know nothing of the 'culture' of the professional driver.

Rat

There is some validity in the above post.

In regards to the compensation issue...you will see a narrowing of the gap in the near future. Trucking companies are now on the ropes trying to find CSA compliant/qualified drivers. The CSA initiative has by virtue of the threat of intercession forced these companies to come to grips with some harsh realities. It has closed loopholes and made employers as responsible as the driver for violations and infractions.

If a driver/company receives enough of these violations the government will set up house on the premises.

If a driver has a hazmat endorsement and a clean record they can almost name their own price...and it is only going to get better.

The one glaring reality now becoming uncomfortably apparent to these carriers is no one wants this job anymore...for a variety of reasons. For years many of these shady operations have taken advantage of the unitiated driver...being 'green' in this business meant being ignorant of the way things tick. These companies knew this and took advantage of it...and when a driver got some time in the biz and realized the screwing they were getting they moved on.

These companies were not worried...there was an endless pool of suckers to chose from...some of these organizations had a 50+% yearly turnover...and stayed in business.

This is no longer the case. People do not want to deal with the trucking biz...too many regs...too many rules...and entirely too much corporate BS!!!! Then add into the mix the continous scrutiny and ever increasing government manipulation of the industry...many believe it just isn't worth the hassle...and they are absolutely correct in their assumptions.

This is now a business to be avoided.

These carriers are just now realizing the dilemna they are facing...the 'pool' is drying up. Drivers with the qualifications and required endorsements are at a premium.

The major thrust in the market for TL carriers is 'dedicated' freight...this allows carriers to assign runs to drivers and give them a definitive schedule....something of a radical departure from days gone by. Now these companies can recruit people and offer a work schedule....not the 'home once a month for a couple of days' BS. People will not accept that type of uncertainty any more...

Culture?....there is no culture. There hasn't been a truck driving culture for years. That died when companies decided to no longer recognize the 'profession' of truck driving. The death of the professional driver was fueled by snot-nosed college graduates with absolutely zero background in the trucking business.

Peeps with degrees in accounting...logistics...sales...HR...et al...ad nauseum.

There isn't any board room in Ann Arbor where folks are laughing at the drivers...but there is the 'in your face' over the top arrogance constantly reminding drivers of the 'benefit' of their employment. And in their ignorance the people at the palace firmly believe this makes a difference...it doesn't.

Keep The Dream Alive?....there hasn't been a dream for years...only the ever continuing nightmare the employees must endure to maintain their jobs...at the hands of people who haven't a clue...and know nothing of the 'culture' of the professional driver.

Rat
That is a nicely written post. add to that the new srtike policy and this sleep apnia stuff that is coming down the ladder. The number of Qualified driver's is shrinking.

While I can't argue with your last statement, I'm going to have to politely disagree with the statement that we are compensated "extremely well".

For clarification nncnwydude, I'm not the CFO of ConWay so when I said OUR employees are compensated extremely well, I wasn't commenting on whether or not CNWY employees are compensated extremely well.

Wow, it has been months since I have been on here. I quit because of all the crying, bickering, name calling and so on. Glad to see that it hasn't changed. I mean, sad to see it hasn't changed. You guys have fun.

Wow, it has been months since I have been on here. I quit because of all the crying, bickering, name calling and so on. Glad to see that it hasn't changed. I mean, sad to see it hasn't changed. You guys have fun.

Nope, hasn't changed much. I've been reading some and keeping to myself.

Same Crap Same **** Shoveling People Gotta Love Con~way And the People Whom work For them they keep life Interesting to say the least !!