XPO | Con-way Freight Supports ‘Craftsman For a Cure’

brutus

TB Veteran
Credits
craftsman_cure.gif

Mooresville, North Carolina (May 17, 2006) - Con-way Freight employees and customers will have a unique opportunity to spend time with Jack Sprague, the driver of the No. 60 Con-way Freight Toyota Tundra, away from the race track during Charlotte Speedweeks.

Sprague will get to race a large group of local Con-way employees, their families and customers as part of the ‘Craftsman For a Cure’ charity event at NASCAR SpeedPark in Concord Mills on Tuesday, May 23.

Con-way Freight, who signed on as sponsor of the No. 60 Wyler Racing Toyota at the beginning of the 2006 season, purchased all the race tickets for the charity race with Sprague as a show of support for the charity event, their driver and the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series.

“Con-way is pleased to participate in the ‘Craftsman For A Cure’ event,” said David McClimon, president of Con-way Freight. “It’s a great cause, and it’s typical of the family-type spirit we’ve witnessed within NASCAR since we initiated our sponsorship at the beginning of 2006.”

In addition to purchasing the race tickets, Con-way also made a donation to ‘Craftsman For a Cure’ – a charity event being hosted by Craftsman Motorsports and Bobby Hamilton Racing, which will benefit the American Cancer Society Relay For Life and the Victory Junction Gang Camp.

“It’s really cool as a driver to see your sponsor get involved in the NASCAR community, especially a sponsor like Con-way Freight who is new to the sport,” Sprague said. “When ‘Craftsman For a Cure’ was announced, they jumped right on board by buying tickets for their employees and making a very generous donation. It means a lot to me to know that I work with a sponsor like Con-way Freight who cares about the community. Bobby Hamilton is a good friend of mine, and with the support of Con-way Freight and other race sponsors and fans, we can really make a difference and raise a great deal of money for some very good causes.”
press release

As I watched the Coke Cola 600 the other evening, also watching the UPS car the FEDEX car the R&L car it struck me as kinda funny, why are all the other transportation companys sponsering top notch Nascar teams and CF is sponsering a truck team?

see the truck series when it started out was a feeder series to busch and cup it didnt cost that much to operate.now with all the veterans in there and big money sponsors like ,scotts,lumber liqiudators,con-way and the factory support of toyota,dodge,chevy and ford. you notice all the guys in the top ten in truck series points have hig dollar multi million dollar support ? the way racing works and has for over 50 years win on sunday buy on monday . this is the perfect way for con way to get their name out there . and once conway realizes that 10 times more fans watch cup racing, they will want to get into it,..but keep in mind if they do there will be considerable amount of changes in our work place,..more freight cause of exposure,a little less icp due to the fact sponsoring a cup team is around 30-35 million ayear just to enter the races,around 40million to be competitive so.i am not down on the idea but honestly i dont think con way has enough money to sponsor a full time cup ride plus pay us a decent ICP,and maintain our equipment, pay the bills. i was one fo the few people who was all for the truck sponsorship every single person in our barn at xef was whining and compalining that that money could go to icp ,or our raise etc ,.blah blah frickin blah! its only probably cost them about 30 million if that,..and thats givin the race team the best of everything! in closing i think conway wants to get their feet wet see how the exposure does and see the customer and fan reaction. one more thing it is an ace in the hole for sales men trying to get more business all he has to do is take a few customers to a race and business will be booming!!in st louis there were more sherwin williams employees than xef employees @ that race in april.

Sterling said:
As I watched the Coke Cola 600 the other evening, also watching the UPS car the FEDEX car the R&L car it struck me as kinda funny, why are all the other transportation companys sponsering top notch Nascar teams and CF is sponsering a truck team?

Craftsman Truck is a cheaper alternative to actual Nextel Cup Racing... It's a good way to get into advertising in racing without the mega millions of sponsoring a Cup Car... Truck is still very popular and a cheaper way to introduce race fans to CON-WAY...