XPO | Con-way in Canada , a

What are they concerned about most at the border? Stolen goods, illegal people, drugs, not paying taxes.. which is it?
Back in 2002 and 2003 I can say with a good of confidence they were looking for morons to to fine for whatever. This was post 9/11 and it was never an issue getting into Canada whether it was a pass through or delivery and pick up.

That's a very good question though. I remember one time the boarder was shut down into Canada from Port Huron, Mi because bails of marijuana were found in a trash truck in the x-ray machine. That was the only time in no less than 50 total crossings I was held up.

I always had steel or clay in a Roll-Tite and honestly never had a problem or issue with Canadian customs. 99% of the boarder issues with American drivers involve getting back into the states.

It's been a while but I'm guessing it's still about the same.

One question I have for the Canadian drivers..

I had a fast truck when I ran up there. Is it true your truck has to be governed at 65mph or less to run up there now? I don't remember the km conversion but I think it was like 110. Is that true?

Back in 2002 and 2003 I can say with a good of confidence they were looking for morons to to fine for whatever. This was post 9/11 and it was never an issue getting into Canada whether it was a pass through or delivery and pick up.

That's a very good question though. I remember one time the boarder was shut down into Canada from Port Huron, Mi because bails of marijuana were found in a trash truck in the x-ray machine. That was the only time in no less than 50 total crossings I was held up.

I always had steel or clay in a Roll-Tite and honestly never had a problem or issue with Canadian customs. 99% of the boarder issues with American drivers involve getting back into the states.

It's been a while but I'm guessing it's still about the same.

One question I have for the Canadian drivers..

I had a fast truck when I ran up there. Is it true your truck has to be governed at 65mph or less to run up there now? I don't remember the km conversion but I think it was like 110. Is that true?

I believe that is only in Ontario. 105km/hr I think, which translates to 65mph.

With over-the-road truckers , if a driver looks like they came from the United Nations and speaks limited English , they are usually from Canada.

Is it easier for a foreigner to get a CDL in Canada?

Before anyone complains , personally , I've had no problems with foreign truckers. I've heard the horror stories but everyone deserves a right to earn a living.

With over-the-road truckers , if a driver looks like they came from the United Nations and speaks limited English , they are usually from Canada.

Is it easier for a foreigner to get a CDL in Canada?

Before anyone complains , personally , I've had no problems with foreign truckers. I've heard the horror stories but everyone deserves a right to earn a living.

Not sure if it is easier, maybe slightly, but it seems a lot of companies from here are hiring the immigrant drivers because they will go on the road for weeks at a time without complaint, work for lower wages, or do the little extras for free without complaining. However, those are mostly the 'close the doors and mash on it' companies.

I have always said the good companies to work for are very choosy about who they hire, immigrant or not.

Personally, I do have issues with some of these immigrant drivers with limited experience in our environment. Twice I have been almost pushed off the road by 'inexperienced immigrant drivers'. Once on the inside of a switchback on a 12% grade with 75000 lbs of rock bolts on my back going to minesite in the mountains. Guess he didn't realize he needed to use his vhf radio coming down too. Once on the open road a few years back while working here.

lots of issues with that in the west as well... inexperience can kill, add not speaking english, or running a radio, just adds to the problem.

Do you guys have city units up there in Canada? I noticed the line haul units are numbered "434". Do the line haul units have a/c? I know the older CCX line haul units "432" didn't have a/c until 2002 and newer.

Toronto and Montreal might have city units, but i'm pretty sure most of the rest of canada has the linehaul units.

haven't seen any city kitties for about 7 years now. They started with 478 prefix. linehaul units have a/c, older sterlings don't.

The older sterlings have a/c except it only works in the winter cause the heaters don't put out enough heat...

pto canada

I thought we had 2 pto days dude-pwb? that's what our tm told us at vacation bid time? Agreed on the shafting.... they took one up the pooper big time!

Canada gets one because they have an extra holiday over u. s drivers,but I was wondering if the Canadians get 40hr pay for their vacations like us or do they get there average pay over the last 52 weeks.

For line haul, they average our last 12 days of work. If that averages out to 12.75 hours for example, that's how much they pay us.

Vacation pay is calculated at 4% of your previous years pay for 2 weeks vacation. After 6 years, when you get your third week, it is calculated at 6% of your previous years wage.

Stat pay is calculated as an average of your previous 20 working days pay.

Is one driver assigned to it? Or do you get volunteered for this run? As far as remote , out-of-the-way deliveries in the US and Canada , isn't that when a zone driver gets the freight?

Don't answer this question like I should know already- I don't know , that's why I asked.

the driver that goes on that run is on the extra board, dispatch will send the same driver, unless for whatever reason(sick, not enough hrs,vacation), the next person on the extra board will go.

Is sub-service an issue there? Was the profit sharing the same as in the US? Is linehaul more proactive about avoiding bad weather?
we closed down xjj<st.john n.b>& xhf<halifax n.s> a few years ago now a canadian company picks up two 53's at reship every night!!! during winter it may be just one 53 here and there