XPO | Con-way in Canada , a

LOL, Canada start a war? Bet you didn't hear the story about us having to borrow batteries from you guys to start our f-18's when we helped out in Kosovo.

I hope I didn't sound condescending when I said Americans know very little about Canada, I didn't mean it that way. It's just that it is much like you say, you just don't hear anything about us, so you really don't know. We usually get a dose of american history in school here, but I'm sure you don't get a dose of canadian history down there.

I used to do a lot of ice fishing in my younger years, but I reserve most of my fishing energy for the summer now. It's still big here in the winter, but not for me. Too hard to dig a hole big enough for the boat... :biglaugh:
well i know this: canada is the proud owner of longest kill confirm in history by a riffle!!! 1 1/2 miles or just under 3km with a barrett

Nope, the largest axle combinations you will see will be in Ontario and Quebec, unless its a huge equipment move in Alberta, those things can be impressive. Con-Way doesn't run any different equipment up here than you huys do down there.

The run you made on 17 across Ontario is a nice run, still pretty populated compared to what I am used to, but obviously pretty sparse compared to those big cities in the south. Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, British Columbia, they are absolute treasures for scenery. I'm glad you had the chance to experience it. I made enough runs through the 290/294 corridor and back and forth across the GW to make me shake my head wondering how people live like that every day. The biggest thing with border crossings is attitude. You have to remember that regardless of where you come from, or are going to, when you are at the border, you are in no-mans land, and you belong no-where until they say you do. I have seen to many indignant and ignorant people, on both sides, who think that just because they are canadian/american, and they are going home, that they pull some kind of attitude when they walk into the customs shack thinking they are home. The truth is, you have no rights and you are nobody UNTIL they grant you access. I always went in there with a 'yessir' attitude and never had a problem.
as far as border goes,when you cross every night the guys get to know you at least at the smaller crossings anyway. only prob we ever had was if their was a prob with paperwork or if they needed to inspect freight and it was in nose and you couldn't reach it by yourself.then you can kiss 2-3 hours goodbye.but hey getting paid to take a nap wasn't the end of the world either

No, it's not nearly as bad as the American media and some politicians make it out to be. Health Care is not rationed, nor do we have people sitting on 'death boards' like I heard once before. Is it the greatest system? Absolutely not. They do though, when it comes to minor things have not really a queue, but that's the best way to explain it. They will put a guy that needs a hip replacement behind a guy that needs a triple bypass, etc. Which only makes sense. The problems with out heatlh care system are not at all about the major stuff like heart attacks, cancer, etc. It's about the minor stuff, like knee surgery, hip replacement, etc. We usually have a backlog in the system for that kind of stuff. Any emergency stuff is dealt with immediatly.

I think that some of the best health care systems in the world are in europe and asia where they have a mix of public and private, or publically funded but privately delivered healthcare. Canada and the US are both complete polar opposites with regards to the health care system and they both have flaws that need to be fixed. No ine should die of cancer because they can't afford it, but your 80 year old mother shouldn't have to wait a year for a new hip just because she is not a priority.

Thank you for your answers. I have another question please. Do you have co-pays? Do you pay anything out of pocket other than through taxes?

Thank you for your answers. I have another question please. Do you have co-pays? Do you pay anything out of pocket other than through taxes?

Like i said earlier, some provinces, and Alberta is the one that comes to mind, has a healthcare premium (last time I heard) was about 300/year and con-way pays it as do most employers in Alberta, but then, they are one of the provinces with no sales tax and low income tax, which is the reason they have it. In most of the other provinces you pay nothing, con-way's benefit plan they give us covers other things like private or semi-private rooms if you have a hospital stay,, dental, vision, ambulance, and other medical incidentals that aren't covered by our healthcare system. And we pay nothing for those benefits but we do have to claim it as a taxable benefit at tax time every year which isn't much, like 15/month.