SAIA | Concerned for our safety?

They dont have the GPS updated enough to be able to see where you are in resl time. There is a lag in time. Henceforth, they call or text and the next time you are stopped, you call in. Now. If thats not suitable, there are tracking devices they could use to see where you are EVERY SECOND of your day or night. Would you be happier with those?
SAIA is about due an upgrade in technology but we need to improve our operation ratio for that. Just my opinion of course

Once upon a time, I was between stops, and the difference was quite a few miles (more than 30). Dispatch called and called, but I followed the policy and didn't answer. Also, I was in a rural area where there was no where safe to pull over. So I didn't call dispatch until it was safe. Turned out the a pickup was missed and they tried to write me up for it. I refused to sign and told my TM that the system is flawed, and I'm not responsible for it. (Insert eye roll here, really respectful, right (Saia core value?!)). Moral of the story is...Saia is the dealer and drivers are the players. Play their stupid game until such time as it's not worth it anymore.

On another note, I don't see how you can improve your OR unless something drastic changes. Don't rule out the possibility of Saia scaling back on you health Insurance. There's a lot of uncertainty in the health world, the economy is due for a correction, and your inability to attract and retain drivers is becoming an issue. Same is true for most trucking companies, but the ineptitude by management is rearing its ugly head (again). Smh...

Once upon a time, I was between stops, and the difference was quite a few miles (more than 30). Dispatch called and called, but I followed the policy and didn't answer. Also, I was in a rural area where there was no where safe to pull over. So I didn't call dispatch until it was safe. Turned out the a pickup was missed and they tried to write me up for it. I refused to sign and told my TM that the system is flawed, and I'm not responsible for it. (Insert eye roll here, really respectful, right (Saia core value?!)). Moral of the story is...Saia is the dealer and drivers are the players. Play their stupid game until such time as it's not worth it anymore.

On another note, I don't see how you can improve your OR unless something drastic changes. Don't rule out the possibility of Saia scaling back on you health Insurance. There's a lot of uncertainty in the health world, the economy is due for a correction, and your inability to attract and retain drivers is becoming an issue. Same is true for most trucking companies, but the ineptitude by management is rearing its ugly head (again). Smh...
Buck, you know we butt heads more often than not but I agree with much of your post. Not all, but most. Good post young lady.

They dont have the GPS updated enough to be able to see where you are in resl time. There is a lag in time. Henceforth, they call or text and the next time you are stopped, you call in. Now. If thats not suitable, there are tracking devices they could use to see where you are EVERY SECOND of your day or night. Would you be happier with those?
I'm LINEHAUL. If I'm dispatched, I'm driving. That's how they know I'm driving.

Must have been a lot of trucks without cb's since no one slowed down. Could it be that there was cb communication and no one listened?
You pop over a hill, it slides down to the bridge where the woman was videotaping, then slide another 3/4 mile to the bottom. It's deceptively steep. On dry roads, you drift from 65 mph up to 75plus pretty quickly. In the snow, there's always fog there. Nasty area. Harriman Rd exit, #342 if you're looking on a map. 8 miles from Buford, Wyo, elevation 8000', population 1, as in ONE. Between Laramie and Cheyenne, on I80.

Two weeks later, there was a worse wreck, 50 miles west with more trucks.One of those exploded, and burned people to death.

You pop over a hill, it slides down to the bridge where the woman was videotaping, then slide another 3/4 mile to the bottom. It's deceptively steep. On dry roads, you drift from 65 mph up to 75plus pretty quickly. In the snow, there's always fog there. Nasty area. Harriman Rd exit, #342 if you're looking on a map. 8 miles from Buford, Wyo, elevation 8000', population 1, as in ONE. Between Laramie and Cheyenne, on I80.

Two weeks later, there was a worse wreck, 50 miles west with more trucks.One of those exploded, and burned people to death.
And you're really going to blame a cb or the lack of a cb on this???? Come on driver. The cb does not drive the truck. Winter Ice. Snow. High wind. Crosswinds. Mountains. We've all done them. Stuff happens that you cant always control... Cb or no cb. Its up to the driver.

And you're really going to blame a cb or the lack of a cb on this???? Come on driver. The cb does not drive the truck. Winter Ice. Snow. High wind. Crosswinds. Mountains. We've all done them. Stuff happens that you cant always control... Cb or no cb. Its up to the driver.
I never mentioned cbs in my posts.

I never mentioned cbs in my posts.
You quoted my post, then posted.
ZZ6Jl2T.jpg

I mentioned the CB. Your right, driving is driving. The more information you have the better decision you can make. Once your out on the road you really cannot stop between exits safely in this kind of weather or it can cause these pile ups. The weather and conditions move in fast. If you can warn someone early you could save their lives, or they could save yours.

So, your obviously good with no cb, cool. I get it. Now could you give us a good reason for no airbags?

Psssst, just so you know, you can have a professional disagreement with your employer without being disloyal, besides, I've outlasted a lot more executives here, they change a lot, something some of you will never be able to say.

It's all about the size of the driver in many cases and the position of the air ride seat. The position of the seat matters. Many could take a blow to the nuts while others better be wearing a hard hat. What's to protect you from the trailer behind. In many cases you would be flattened like a pan cake. I could post a link on this issue but it wouldn't matter. You are too busy bashing the company position.

Those things didn't make me quit then, and I'll decide when I leave. I'll still call stupid stupid and wrong wrong
Would you like to have Rick's or Karla's email address to tell them that? I can gladly provide it. But since your so tight with upper level management and are a millionaire I'm certain you probably already have it. Along with their personal cell phone numbers set on speed dial.

. I am just shy of 10k shares owned in this company since the stock was made available
Better be careful hot shot because I'm certain not too many drivers have that many shares. It wouldn't be hard to figure out who you are. Provided you are tell the truth.

It's all about the size of the driver in many cases and the position of the air ride seat. The position of the seat matters. Many could take a blow to the nuts while others better be wearing a hard hat. What's to protect you from the trailer behind. In many cases you would be flattened like a pan cake. I could post a link on this issue but it wouldn't matter. You are too busy bashing the company position.
Can you speak to why your Freightliner doesn't have an airbag? That $800 option more important then you? You good with that? Your opinion doesn't contradict their decision
Do your research.

I mentioned the CB. Your right, driving is driving. The more information you have the better decision you can make. Once your out on the road you really cannot stop between exits safely in this kind of weather or it can cause these pile ups. The weather and conditions move in fast. If you can warn someone early you could save their lives, or they could save yours.

So, your obviously good with no cb, cool. I get it. Now could you give us a good reason for no airbags?

Psssst, just so you know, you can have a professional disagreement with your employer without being disloyal, besides, I've outlasted a lot more executives here, they change a lot, something some of you will never be able to say.
Cant really explain the air bag thing. Could be cost. Could be that somebody decided its harded to control the vehicle, should it deploy erroneously. While outliving the higher powers is a good thing, don't count on that forever. If you've been there that many years, you know how people come and go. Consider yourself lucky. But bottom line is. I prefer a cb and they do not. In their eye, two hands on the wheel is better than one. Cameras make quick work of defeating some ambulance chasing crackpot lawyer.

Cant really explain the air bag thing. Could be cost. Could be that somebody decided its harded to control the vehicle, should it deploy erroneously. While outliving the higher powers is a good thing, don't count on that forever. If you've been there that many years, you know how people come and go. Consider yourself lucky. But bottom line is. I prefer a cb and they do not. In their eye, two hands on the wheel is better than one. Cameras make quick work of defeating some ambulance chasing crackpot lawyer.
It's a doubled edged sword OT because they can work against the company too. The company weighed the pros and cons and chose a path. Let me say the upside when we are liable is that we can settle quickly and move on without dragging it out for years thus saving money. When we are not liable same thing really. They drop the suit and the crackpot attorneys cry themselves to sleep. Corporate decided the cameras are in the best interest of the company in the long run. They can survive the turnover rate just as Conway (XPO) did. XPO has an operation ratio of 84 the last time I checked. XPO has changed the way they utilized the cameras and I suspect SAIA will make adjustments as well.

Last edited:
I guess a person could contact Rick or Karla, but at this point, you'd be wasting your time I'm afraid.

Just goes to show the disconnect at Saia that exists between manager and employee. Frankly, it is immaterial what anyone else thinks except Rick. He answers to the balance sheet. If that is looking good, he keeps his job and vice versa. Doesn't change the fact that a lot of this discontent could probably be resolved with a conversation or explanation. Nothing wrong with transparency. Actually transparency would probably help with driver retention