ABF | Concession Bargaining - How Not To

D

Docker

Except in the most extraordinary circumstances, there is no acceptable reason for a union to bargain concessions. In the case of a business that is profitable, there is absolutely no reason for concession bargaining. The results of concession bargaining over the last two decades should stand as proof that concessions do not benefit workers.

While concessions are often presented to workers as "necessary", something that the company needs to remain viable, let's keep one thing in mind: The objective of a business is to maximize profit. Wages and benefits are a drain on the bottom line so it stands to reason that if these can be reduced, profits will increase. Business, therefore, needs no reason to demand concessions beyond the fact that this will improve bottom line profitability. If you don't ask, you don't get. If a union has a history of concession bargaining, the company is that much more likely to ask. Concessions are not a matter of need, but a competitive advantage to be sought out where it may be achievable.

An employer's inability to compete or to meet the challenges presented by the arrival of new competitors is a failing of management. Some businesses are hampered by unhealthy management cultures that tolerate incompetent managers and generate poor management decisions. All things considered, management ineptitude is more likely to sink the business than the arrival of new competition. Rank and file workers should not be responsible for years of bad management. Concessions on the part of rank and filers will not save a business that is its own worst enemy. At the end of the day, it is management's job to deal with the challenges of being in business.

In short, a business that is failing because of inability to compete or because of a management decision to leave a particular market, will do so no matter what the workers give up. Concessions will only serve to reduce workers' severance and pension entitlements when the inevitable comes to pass.

Concession Bargaining - How Not To

My opinion.I don't believe ABF is any condition that would precipitate any need of concessions from its employees.Even though the company says its share in the LtL industry is 7% compared to YRC at 27%.As long as I can remember I don't believe ABF has ever had fantastic market share in only the LtL market.I know that ABF is into other types of transportation markets.I don't know those figures.I thinkABF has kept a smaller market share in the LtL market because it is much more easier for the company to manage and to keep its expenditures lower.However,ABF still provides that excellent service by us Teamsters and that the company has some brains at the managerial level.Those factors make a difference.I guess all the company wants to hear is Cheap Cheap and Cheaper.The cheaper the labor the less morale will be and service will suffer.I know this in the latter because I work for YRC.

An employer's inability to compete or to meet the challenges presented by the arrival of new competitors is a failing of management.
this argument is sooo old it has grey hair..like so 1970-ish.

The results of concession bargaining over the last two decades should stand as proof that concessions do not benefit workers.
Concessions aren't designed to benefit workers..they're designed to benefit top share holders (senior management)..not senior drivers. ABF could go on forever making $10M-$12M profit a year. The only way to improve the numbers is to be more competitive..slash and burn

Concessions aren't designed to benefit workers..they're designed to benefit top share holders (senior management)..not senior drivers. ABF could go on forever making $10M-$12M profit a year. The only way to improve the numbers is to be more competitive..slash and burn

So what your saying Joe is that there is really NO need for concessions other than to line the pockets of the upper management..Sure glad your starting to see the light..

So what your saying Joe is that there is really NO need for concessions other than to line the pockets of the upper management..Sure glad your starting to see the light..

1919_picture_of_an_angry_old_man_with_folded_arms_in_front_of_a_computer.jpg

What's the matter Joe...it hurt's when someone points out the fact that you don't actually have a clue on what you are talking about half the time.

I think that crazy just might be right...there's hope for you yet...not much...but I'm an optimist...what can I say.

What's the matter Joe...it hurt's when someone points out the fact that you don't actually have a clue on what you are talking about half the time.

I think that crazy just might be right...there's hope for you yet...not much...but I'm an optimist...what can I say.

This is a championship fight..main event. You have to step in the ring with confidence..the agony of defeat is not an option. Show them you're not gonna take any cuts.

The undefeated ABF dock against..
Corporate America!!

honey-youll-get-cut-to-pieces_zps8c4292da.jpg

This is a championship fight..main event. You have to step in the ring with confidence..the agony of defeat is not an option. Show them you're not gonna take any cuts.

That you are...you are stepping in the ring with confidence...this is why you changed your screenname to Joe the plumber:

Republicans, who paraded “Joe the Plumber” on the campaign trail, demonstrated that they despise labor in general and organized labor in particular.

Why Republicans demand worker concessions (it's not about the money) - Democratic Underground

You feel it is your duty to carry on with Joe the plumbers views of despising labor in general and organized labor in particular here on TB....right? Not only are you Billy boy's lackey...you are also an anti labor activist.

By the way Joe...tell me....just how do you feel about receiving that decent union pension of yours? Do you think that other rank and file members should give up their decent future pension payments so you can continue with yours? Evidently...you do...that's what Billy Boy did to your fellow YRC brothers and sisters and he is your hero.

Joe is deadly afraid of losing what he already gets..He does not want anything to happen to the pension funds and I believe that he believes that as long as ABF and YRC are in the game his pension will still be there ..I would seriously like to know that if he was still working where his mind would be..

That you are...you are stepping in the ring with confidence...this is why you changed your screenname to Joe the plumber:

Why Republicans demand worker concessions (it's not about the money) - Democratic Underground

You feel it is your duty to carry on with Joe the plumbers views of despising labor in general and organized labor in particular here on TB....right? Not only are you Billy boy's lackey...you are also an anti labor activist.

By the way Joe...tell me....just how do you feel about receiving that decent union pension of yours? Do you think that other rank and file members should give up their decent future pension payments so you can continue with yours? Evidently...you do...that's what Billy Boy did to your fellow YRC brothers and sisters and he is your hero.

What the Key-reist are you talking about? Keep your mind on the fight
____
32495706_zpsee9d2ee8.jpg

What the Key-reist are you talking about? Keep your mind on the fight
____

We will...as you best keep in mind that we all know just who Joe the plumber really is and what he's all about!

By the way...thanks for the pic!

5139369980.jpg

Joe is deadly afraid of losing what he already gets..He does not want anything to happen to the pension funds and I believe that he believes that as long as ABF and YRC are in the game his pension will still be there ..I would seriously like to know that if he was still working where his mind would be..

There is someone on here that knew him personally at work...and from what I have heard from his posts is that Joe always was a few bricks shy of a load...lol

ponder this,those u packs make abf a ton of money. low over head high cash reward. those are not going away if anything they are getting better.now with that being said, im not gonna end with nuff said cause i am sober so thnk u very much p.s wadd ya you guys think about having docker as alternate mod?how bout it joe we got your vote lol

ponder this,those u packs make abf a ton of money. low over head high cash reward. those are not going away if anything they are getting better.now with that being said, im not gonna end with nuff said cause i am sober so thnk u very much p.s wadd ya you guys think about having docker as alternate mod?how bout it joe we got your vote lol

Alternate mod and Docker...those are words that just don't go together. I'm lucky I'm not an alternate poster...lol

IMO...We have the best Mod anyone could ever hope for and can handle anything that arises on our forum. That's one Batman that doesn't need a Robin...lol

C'mon Joe...is that really the best you can come up with...when it comes to intelligence...Judy would be in the gifted class and your pal Billy boy would be in Special Ed. The difference being one goes on to running a profitable company and the other...starts off by ruining a profitable company ands up running a non profit company. Tell me...is that where you first met Billy...on that little yellow schoolbus?

C'mon Joe...is that really the best you can come up with...when it comes to intelligence...Judy would be in the gifted class and your pal Billy boy would be in Special Ed. The difference being one goes on to running a profitable company and the other...starts off by ruining a profitable company ands up running a non profit company. Tell me...is that where you first met Billy...on that little yellow schoolbus?
You might say that one runs a profitable company and the other runs a train wreck. Can Plunger Joe guess which is which?

You might say that one runs a profitable company and the other runs a train wreck. Can Plunger Joe guess which is which?

ABF made a .5% return on $1.7B revenue. When Judy rids the system of useless unproductive dock people like you they'll be rolling with deep pockets. Not to worry your man Bam-Bam got your back:9529: