Yellow | Concessions for YRC?

Give back

I hope the Union will remember to point out how many millions the company is saving right now in fuel costs due to the lower price of oil.

I think sooner than we might anticipte, the Yellow Roadway forum, will be moved to the "gone but not forgotten" section of this website next to CF:TR10driving03:

IMO this entire episode is a disgrace. If I'm not mistaken every YRCW freight company is making money except for the mostly nonunion USF Glenmore. How can the IBT renegotiate the NMFA when its members are doing everything that has been asked of them & they are making a profit?

I can't believe that a couple of dollars an hour wage concession can make that much of a different to YRCW's bottom line credit problems.

I hate to say this but something stinks about this whole situation. IMO Hoffa & Co. are going to have a hard time selling this one.

I my 35 years of being a teamster there has never been any company still working that gave up anything union or nonunion!!Keep what you got because once it's gone it's gone an you never get it back.

No not this time. I could see if your companies were not making money but you guys are operating in the black. Its the holding company that overextended itself & now it wants the workers of its profitable companies to take a wage cut because the YRCW CEO can't do his job.

I still think that Hoffa will have a hard time trying to sell wage concessions to the YRCW Teamster that is doing his job & turning a profit for his company

The top 4 DOGS
Zollars.....3.6
Stally......5.66
Welch.....3.1
Smid.......1.0

total......13.36 Million $$$$$$$

Let these 4 lead by example and give back a large portion of their salaries and stock options, lets say to the tune of 12 mil. and give back all of the stock options until this co turns around and all the brother and sister teamsters are back to work full time and earning a decent buck.....I'd like to see them try to live on 2 to 3 days a week or even being laid off and collecting u/e............................Then and only then will I listen to any talk of a give back!

Go ahead you 4 show us your true colors. And make believers of us!!:nutkick:

I think both J. Staley, and Welch have both retired for some time.

EXACTLY. Can't believe mgmt. didn't get this in the last contract. Makes ZERO sense to send someone off the dock to hook someone while they do nothing. This is a MASSIVE waste of money.

Speaking as a road driver I agree. As a smaller yard. But at big yards where there are 4 or more yard goats it is part of their job. I would gladly hook my set. I want to get paid for it. If you know how to do it it does not take that long. I always thought that hooking and unhooking was part of the job. Until I came here.

IMO this entire episode is a disgrace. If I'm not mistaken every YRCW freight company is making money except for the mostly nonunion USF Glenmore. How can the IBT renegotiate the NMFA when its members are doing everything that has been asked of them & they are making a profit?

I can't believe that a couple of dollars an hour wage concession can make that much of a different to YRCW's bottom line credit problems.

I hate to say this but something stinks about this whole situation. IMO Hoffa & Co. are going to have a hard time selling this one.

Something does stink about this is right. Makes me go back to the original question of why we bought RDWY to begin with nevermind USF. The only answer that ever fits perfectly is that this was a union busting move to begin with. The union didn't see it coming over the shrimp cocktails at the posh meetings that have led us to this point which is where everything since 2003 bears fruit.

Option 1. We don't give them the "give back" they want and they get to go out of buisiness and blame the members.

Option 2. We give them what they want and give them more time to go further in debt leaving nothing to cover lost vacations, benifit payments etc in the bankruptcy courts.

Either way the only union freight company left is ABF (I mean real teamsters in pension fund, not forgeting UPS freight) With alot of us still at an age that leaves a bigger break in service with a closing than years in service, suddenly our contributions with no future claims helps the fund solvency.

I usually like to see the glass half full, but historically, any company that asked for and/or got a give back never made it. Buy stock in UPS and FEDEX.

I hope the Union will remember to point out how many millions the company is saving right now in fuel costs due to the lower price of oil.

Don't forget the "fuel surcharge" built into customer contracts, as fuel rises, the company actually makes more money on these fuel charges. When fuel drops, as it has recently, these charges disappear, and the loss of these surcharges actually cost the company more money than if fuel had stayed at $4 a gallon

I can think of a few successful concessions; Oak Harbor Freight almost went under 25 years ago, they took a wage concession and didn't see an increase for years. The company survived and eventually thrived, now they are on strike just trying to keep their Teamsters medical. There are two smaller freight companies in my town that operate on NMFA piggyback contracts they give wage and pension concessions, these companies have had them for many years. I wouldn't call it "successful" from a labor stand point, but they did save jobs.

The top 4 DOGS
Zollars.....3.6
Stally......5.66
Welch.....3.1
Smid.......1.0

total......13.36 Million $$$$$$$

Let these 4 lead by example and give back a large portion of their salaries and stock options, lets say to the tune of 12 mil. and give back all of the stock options until this co turns around and all the brother and sister teamsters are back to work full time and earning a decent buck.....I'd like to see them try to live on 2 to 3 days a week or even being laid off and collecting u/e............................Then and only then will I listen to any talk of a give back!

Go ahead you 4 show us your true colors. And make believers of us!!:nutkick:
here, here... I 2nd that motion...

EXACTLY. Can't believe mgmt. didn't get this in the last contract. Makes ZERO sense to send someone off the dock to hook someone while they do nothing. This is a MASSIVE waste of money.
Massive money? Get real dude! I'll bet you waste more per day fooling with the damn thermostat! :chairshot: Biggist problem with it is it bugs the chit out of you. Call a few customers and ask for freight instead of focusing on the road driver while he's getting a well deservered breather.
:tongue0002:

Concession Bargaining - How Not To

Except in the most extraordinary circumstances, there is no acceptable reason for a union to bargain concessions. In the case of a business that is profitable, there is absolutely no reason for concession bargaining. The results of concession bargaining over the last two decades should stand as proof that concessions do not benefit workers.

While concessions are often presented to workers as "necessary", something that the company needs to remain viable, let's keep one thing in mind: The objective of a business is to maximize profit. Wages and benefits are a drain on the bottom line so it stands to reason that if these can be reduced, profits will increase. Business, therefore, needs no reason to demand concessions beyond the fact that this will improve bottom line profitability. If you don't ask, you don't get. If a union has a history of concession bargaining, the company is that much more likely to ask. Concessions are not a matter of need, but a competitive advantage to be sought out where it may be achievable.

more

Concession Bargaining - How Not To

Our sentiments EXACTLY..... This will be the 5th job to go down the tubes since I became a Teamster and every time it started with a GIVEBACK
Think of it Fox in Philly, CBL Trucking NJ, USF RED STAR PHILLY...All lost to give backs and P..s Poor Management... Yes, I see that ecconimic times are tough but CORPORATE GREED has the most to do with the Freight Industries Demise....

A Philly Driver. 32 yrs a Teamster