FedEx Freight | Congress Passed Pension Cuts

the jobs didnt go to the RTW states, the jobs went rolling right thru those "free market utopia's", RIGHT ON DOWN TO MEXICO!!! i love it when some anti union guy starts touting these "industries" that have left the rust belt, and went to an anti union state.

I doubt every plant in the south could put out what Flint, Bay City, and Saginaw still do.
hey Bill don't forget this southern state also Toledo and Lordstown,could also say Marysville but honda isn't union Oh yeah forgot avon lake/sheffield .And if nobody knows I'm talking about Ohio GO BUCKS "nuff said c'ya

Thats all a bunch of :horseshit: Red.
You can paint as many braiwashing right wing antiunion crud ya want.
Favoring the companies and letting the companies do whatever they want has made more welfare and left more jobs leave here than one friggin speck of good its done for this damned country at all.
I just read a stkry about a town in Maftinsville or burg VA who lost tons of jobs to China.
Tax breaks and reduced regs WILL NOT keep them here. That town and tons more are nonunion. They leave them too.
FIRST they weakened the defenses by running to RTW states...but they aint done then eigher...GThey aint done till we live like the lowest place on earth they can go tok.
You can kiss their butt and give them EVERYTHING they want and they still come back for more.
Ya know what I'd give them?

I'd give them a big FAT tarrif to ship their stuff back to my country or state if they left. THAT is give and take....YOU let them just take.
THATS why they come and thats why they go.

You want our market?
You stay or pay to ship it back.

IT ALL STARTS WITH YOU GUYS NOT JOINING UNIONS!!!
YA LET THEM WALK ON YOU AND THEN THEY WALK ON THE WHOLE COUNTRY!!!
But that's exactly what these companies do! It's actually cheaper for them to relocate abroad and pay the tariffs to import their products back into the U.S. than it is to stay here and pay the high labor cost brought on by the unions.
Would you rather take a little less and have a job or take more, lose your job, then not have the money to purchase these products when they're imported back into the country?
Our job is in the service industry, not manufacturing, therefor we're not going anywhere...but up...if the union would just stay away.
Let the union in and we'll be in the same boat as the rest of the union LTL companies since deregulation.
No thanks.

Yeah, that's probably why ya have a $1200 fee too. Let's try to be honest just a little. I know it's sometimes hard when talking business for some. Honesty doesnt always bring big fast rewards. It's all about now.

I have no extra fees for my wife or 3 children.

I pay $52 dues.
The union contract covers the insurance.
Does your "crappy" insurance really beat that?
Yes, since my wife is now in upper management, she has different insurance than the union employees...but I did mention she is upper management, her insurance is just a little better than there's...not by much...and yes, that $1,200 fee applies to everyone, union/non-union employees and management.

the jobs didnt go to the RTW states, the jobs went rolling right thru those "free market utopia's", RIGHT ON DOWN TO MEXICO!!! i love it when some anti union guy starts touting these "industries" that have left the rust belt, and went to an anti union state.

I doubt every plant in the south could put out what Flint, Bay City, and Saginaw still do.
You should really do some research.

http://www.manufacturing.net/articles/2011/11/right-to-work-laws-pay-off-with-manufacturing-jobs

And not only are the jobs moving from closed shop states to Right to Work states, Americans are also leaving these bankrupt states and are following the jobs to RTW states.

http://www.aei.org/publication/amer...rced-unionism-states-to-right-to-work-states/

But that's exactly what these companies do! It's actually cheaper for them to relocate abroad and pay the tariffs to import their products back into the U.S. than it is to stay here and pay the high labor cost brought on by the unions.
Would you rather take a little less and have a job or take more, lose your job, then not have the money to purchase these products when they're imported back into the country?
Our job is in the service industry, not manufacturing, therefor we're not going anywhere...but up...if the union would just stay away.
Let the union in and we'll be in the same boat as the rest of the union LTL companies since deregulation.
No thanks.
Don't worry, take a look around, clearly you see the ltl industry has gone to its lowest levels regarding wages & benefits and the largest profits in history. This trend will continue. LtL drivers will become a dime a dozen. You don't have to worry about unions coming back and wages & benefits getting better, Its not going to happen. The ball is rolling and these company's will be staying right here in this country with the huge profits that they are making off of the backs of their employees. No need to go to any of these slave labor countries anymore when they have what they want right here. There will be plenty of people willing to come to this country to drive a truck for peanuts.

Don't worry, take a look around, clearly you see the ltl industry has gone to its lowest levels regarding wages & benefits and the largest profits in history. This trend will continue. LtL drivers will become a dime a dozen. You don't have to worry about unions coming back and wages & benefits getting better, Its not going to happen. The ball is rolling and these company's will be staying right here in this country with the huge profits that they are making off of the backs of their employees. No need to go to any of these slave labor countries anymore when they have what they want right here. There will be plenty of people willing to come to this country to drive a truck for peanuts.
Seriously???? Are you saying you make less now than you did when you started in the industry?
Yes, eventually when the last two largest union LTL companies go under there will be a plethora of drivers available....and I hope it's later than sooner...but that day will come.
You really shouldn't worry about how much profit any company makes...unless you own stock in that company of course.

Yeah, that's probably why ya have a $1200 fee too. Let's try to be honest just a little. I know it's sometimes hard when talking business for some. Honesty doesnt always bring big fast rewards. It's all about now.

I have no extra fees for my wife or 3 children.

I pay $52 dues.
The union contract covers the insurance.
Does your "crappy" insurance really beat that?
I pay about $80 a month for family insurance, dental, & vision. I contribute to my 401K, which the company matches, and they pay 100% into my pension.
The difference is my company is actually making a profit, yours is struggling to stay afloat due to your higher union labor cost.
Is it better to get all you can and hope the gates aren't chained shut tomorrow or take a little less and know the gates will be open?
I'll take the latter!
And with your union's latest concessions, I'll say you made the same choice...I just hope for your sake it's not to little to late!

I suspect you have a very low turnover rate. Sounds like reasonably smart people could do quite well, working with you... :1036316054:

The total compensation goes straight into the paycheck? Isn't there a lesser "bang for the buck", for the company, by not running some compensation through a benefit of some sort, gaining the tax advantage?

Yes and no. The employer must contribute payroll taxes based on wage, not benefits. However, the social security taxes on wages are capped. For example, in 2014 all income in excess of $115K/year is not subject to FICA taxes paid by the employee and employer. Unemployment is capped at $7K (moot as that limit is reached in either circumstance), SDI employee and employer contribution is also capped at $100K and change.

Bottom line is the company is paying about 6.5% more in payroll taxes up to the point those limits are reached. For those over that limit there is no additional employer payroll taxes.

The bigger savings is in the area of administration. We don't need folks administering or overseeing any of those benefit programs. There is value in keeping it simple.

The problem with your last sentence is that most union companies, including UPS, charges a fee for employees who want to cover their spouses if those spouses have insurance available to them through their own employer.

Yes, but if "family plans" are available to both spouses, why wouldn't you just go with the plan that provides a better value? Use the savings of not having redundant coverage to pay co-pays and satisfy deductibles if you have them. When you don't, you are ahead.

Seriously???? Are you saying you make less now than you did when you started in the industry?
Yes, eventually when the last two largest union LTL companies go under there will be a plethora of drivers available....and I hope it's later than sooner...but that day will come.
You really shouldn't worry about how much profit any company makes...unless you own stock in that company of course.
No, I make much more today because I have a contract, and yes, I have a lot of company stocks! So yes, huge profits means money in my bank. Shouldn't worry about company profits? I am a firm believer that company's need to be profitable and successful as they can so that we can continue to enjoy the benefits that we receive, but I also believe that todays corporate greed takes away from those benefits and that is what is happening in the ltl industry right now.

I can answer yes to the "making less" statement. Our buying power back in the 70's when I got started was a great deal better than it is today. Now if you only look at the number, I am make more than twice what I did when I got started.

I can answer yes to the "making less" statement. Our buying power back in the 70's when I got started was a great deal better than it is today. Now if you only look at the number, I am make more than twice what I did when I got started.

Are you that daft? That's the entire industry! Our wages haven't kept up with inflation because of "De-regulation", which was a democratic party idea! Implemented by Teddy Kennedy! Oops, those evil republicans were outvoted! And the unions didn't fight it! Those evil unions sat back and let those evil democrats screw the working man....oops, aren't we supposed to hate republicans for screwing us?

Aren't the republicans the evil ones??? What happened here? We got screwed by democrats? Imagine that. We paid to get screwed.

Wait a minute, I'm non-union and republican. I didn't pay to screw myself...I'm not that stupid. End of story.

Are you that daft? That's the entire industry! Our wages haven't kept up with inflation because of "De-regulation", which was a democratic party idea! Implemented by Teddy Kennedy! Oops, those evil republicans were outvoted! And the unions didn't fight it! Those evil unions sat back and let those evil democrats screw the working man....oops, aren't we supposed to hate republicans for screwing us?

Aren't the republicans the evil ones??? What happened here? We got screwed by democrats? Imagine that. We paid to get screwed.

Wait a minute, I'm non-union and republican. I didn't pay to screw myself...I'm not that stupid. End of story.
Political thread this isn't. There were republican hands tied to deregulation also. That is fact not fiction. A democrat pen put it in motion. Our trade has been spiraling downward for many years. Making more than twice than when I started yet not where I was on buying power. Grab your ankles trucker, their not through with you yet.

Tom Delay....look him up....Deregulatory right wing idiot he was....for himself.

Yes, but if "family plans" are available to both spouses, why wouldn't you just go with the plan that provides a better value? Use the savings of not having redundant coverage to pay co-pays and satisfy deductibles if you have them. When you don't, you are ahead.
Non-union companies like FedEx don't charge an extra fee for spouses in a family plan, even if your spouse is offered insurance through their employer. Most union companies do charge that fee, that was my point.

No. Most union companies dont charge that fee. You're wrong.

It's irrelevant whether or not most union/non-union companies charge that fee or not. Even if your employer doesn't charge a fee, your spouses' may. The fee may be minimal, the insurance may be better...too many variables to be making blanket statements.

It's irrelevant whether or not most union/non-union companies charge that fee or not. Even if your employer doesn't charge a fee, your spouses' may. The fee may be minimal, the insurance may be better...too many variables to be making blanket statements.
I'm correcting a false blanket statement made by someone else. Why didnt you tell him his statement is irrelevant?

He basically did...he just replied to you.
What union companies don't charge this fee?
I work for Holland they don't. Nor do any NMFA companies. I've been in the NMFA for 20 years and have never been charged it. I drove union tanker and they didnt charge it. My father was a union driver in the waste industry for 30 years and was never charged it. My grandfather was a union oil company terminal worker and he was never charged it.