FedEx Freight | Congress Passed Pension Cuts

I work for Holland they don't. Nor do any NMFA companies. I've been in the NMFA for 20 years and have never been charged it. I drove union tanker and they didnt charge it. My father was a union driver in the waste industry for 30 years and was never charged it. My grandfather was a union oil company terminal worker and he was never charged it.
But UPS and many other union companies do...including those not in the trucking industry.

But UPS and many other union companies do...including those not in the trucking industry.
Other than UPS, who? I mentioned the waste and oil industries. Im rather familiar with several union warehouse contracts and they dont charge. I know several union concrete drivers who dont have the fee. Im not certain but I dont believe carhaul has it. You only reference UPS

Non-union companies like FedEx don't charge an extra fee for spouses in a family plan, even if your spouse is offered insurance through their employer. Most union companies do charge that fee, that was my point.

I hate to nitpick facts, BUT... While FedEx doesn't technically charge a fee, they do force you to chose the family plan, if your spouse is to be covered. There was a time when you could choose employee & spouse, or family... No more. Now it's employee only, employee with children (single parent), or family. The family plan is the highest priced plan, by a significant margin. Therefore, while you're not paying a "fee", you are paying a premium. A pretty fat premium, IMHO.

I'm correcting a false blanket statement made by someone else. Why didnt you tell him his statement is irrelevant?

I did. I said whether they do or not, whether they are union or non-union is irrelevant. That covers all 4 possibilities. Since the conversation was a bit off topic from the title of the thread I felt it necessary to quote for reference to the subject being discussed. Your post was the most recent post on that argument.

Relax, I'm not picking on you. I'm picking on the argument.

I hate to nitpick facts, BUT... While FedEx doesn't technically charge a fee, they do force you to chose the family plan, if your spouse is to be covered. There was a time when you could choose employee & spouse, or family... No more. Now it's employee only, employee with children (single parent), or family. The family plan is the highest priced plan, by a significant margin. Therefore, while you're not paying a "fee", you are paying a premium. A pretty fat premium, IMHO.
So you consider almost $80 a month a pretty fat premium?

I highly doubt much tariffing is going on.
You will NEVER go as low as they want you, union or non.
They want China and third world.
Are ya willing to give them that?
You probably support removing minimum wage laws......Thatll get everyone even with China.

Theyre not gonna close you if ya go union.

Uniin wages nor inflexibility has NOTHING to do with YRC's problems. YRC management and their bank buddies created our mess......and we were flexible enough to vote vote and vote again to keep the doors open. Mr. Zollars took loans to buy 4 union carriers. Do you think that was wise?
We all had pension as a part of the deal and he new what he was getting into. One part of my brain is highly suspicious that this whole mess was intentional to take the union out of freight. Put us all in one boat and sink it.
He knew what he was getting into. Surely Im not a big business man but I DO question WHY he was loaned money to take us all on. The banks also knew what he was getting into. Too many times I heard how great this or that company is....just to see them fall....I dont puch much faith in businessmen. Too much hype.

But that's exactly what these companies do! It's actually cheaper for them to relocate abroad and pay the tariffs to import their products back into the U.S. than it is to stay here and pay the high labor cost brought on by the unions.
Would you rather take a little less and have a job or take more, lose your job, then not have the money to purchase these products when they're imported back into the country?
Our job is in the service industry, not manufacturing, therefor we're not going anywhere...but up...if the union would just stay away.
Let the union in and we'll be in the same boat as the rest of the union LTL companies since deregulation.
No thanks.

I highly doubt much tariffing is going on.
You will NEVER go as low as they want you, union or non.
They want China and third world.
Are ya willing to give them that?
You probably support removing minimum wage laws......Thatll get everyone even with China.

Theyre not gonna close you if ya go union.

Uniin wages nor inflexibility has NOTHING to do with YRC's problems. YRC management and their bank buddies created our mess......and we were flexible enough to vote vote and vote again to keep the doors open. Mr. Zollars took loans to buy 4 union carriers. Do you think that was wise?
We all had pension as a part of the deal and he new what he was getting into. One part of my brain is highly suspicious that this whole mess was intentional to take the union out of freight. Put us all in one boat and sink it.
He knew what he was getting into. Surely Im not a big business man but I DO question WHY he was loaned money to take us all on. The banks also knew what he was getting into. Too many times I heard how great this or that company is....just to see them fall....I dont puch much faith in businessmen. Too much hype.
No, I do not support removing minimum wage laws but raising minimum wage to $15 an hour as some suggest is ridiculous! If you raise the cost of labor, the cost of products go up. That increase is passed onto the customers, it's all relative.
To busy to look up the tariffs on imports, will check later, but tariffs are charged for imports.
Did your crystal ball tell you we wouldn't close if we went union? History suggest otherwise...maybe not tomorrow but eventually it WILL happen.
So again, you blame management for YRC's problems...it couldn't possibly be the unions high labor cost?
If I'm not mistaken, Carolina Freight and Consolidated Freight's employees said the same thing...right before they closed the doors.

Other than UPS, who? I mentioned the waste and oil industries. Im rather familiar with several union warehouse contracts and they dont charge. I know several union concrete drivers who dont have the fee. Im not certain but I dont believe carhaul has it. You only reference UPS

My mom was a teamster at a plastics factory, she had to pay some every week plus had an up charge for family. Tamarac dairy which I'm very familiar are teamsters they pay for insurance and extra for family. It's all about what is negotiated, that's what I have said from the beginning it's what started me posting on here. You self righteous pro guys love to say you don't lie and that the union has promised nothing, but yet you love to talk about what it will be like as if it has already been pre negotiated and most of you have no idea what is going to happen. Just because NMFA and UPSF have something doesn't mean you will get anything similar, like it or not Fedex will have some say in it and if you think the teamsters are going to push across a cherry contract then fold their arms and Fedex will give in then I think you are in for a rude awakening.

No, I do not support removing minimum wage laws but raising minimum wage to $15 an hour as some suggest is ridiculous! If you raise the cost of labor, the cost of products go up. That increase is passed onto the customers, it's all relative.
To busy to look up the tariffs on imports, will check later, but tariffs are charged for imports.
Did your crystal ball tell you we wouldn't close if we went union? History suggest otherwise...maybe not tomorrow but eventually it WILL happen.
So again, you blame management for YRC's problems...it couldn't possibly be the unions high labor cost?
If I'm not mistaken, Carolina Freight and Consolidated Freight's employees said the same thing...right before they closed the doors.
Carolina Frt didn't close we were bought by ABF. Carhaul has no extra fee's for insurance, Now I don't have a dog in this fight,but what I have seen on here is I think everybody is missing the big picture. It's not union non-union thing it's the fact that compaines and DC that don't give two hoots about the middle class. Fred could up and die tomorrow and turn everything over to the bean counters and then watch what happens,that's what happened at CFCC. "nuff said and good night

My mom was a teamster at a plastics factory, she had to pay some every week plus had an up charge for family. Tamarac dairy which I'm very familiar are teamsters they pay for insurance and extra for family. It's all about what is negotiated, that's what I have said from the beginning it's what started me posting on here. You self righteous pro guys love to say you don't lie and that the union has promised nothing, but yet you love to talk about what it will be like as if it has already been pre negotiated and most of you have no idea what is going to happen. Just because NMFA and UPSF have something doesn't mean you will get anything similar, like it or not Fedex will have some say in it and if you think the teamsters are going to push across a cherry contract then fold their arms and Fedex will give in then I think you are in for a rude awakening.
Absolutely it is what is negotiated. I never said anything to the contrary. He said that Non-union companies dont charge the fee and union companies do. He made a blanket statement with the intent of discrediting union companies. I blew holes all over this statement. I never once said anything about what would happen at fedex if they get a contract or what is prenegotiated. Nor did I promise, have the ability to promise, or lie about anything. You should follow the whole conversation if you want to pipe in.

Absolutely it is what is negotiated. I never said anything to the contrary. He said that Non-union companies dont charge the fee and union companies do. He made a blanket statement with the intent of discrediting union companies. I blew holes all over this statement. I never once said anything about what would happen at fedex if they get a contract or what is prenegotiated. Nor did I promise, have the ability to promise, or lie about anything. You should follow the whole conversation if you want to pipe in.

I've been part of the conversation for a long time. I did not in any way defend what he said about non union paying for insurance, and my reply was really for more than just this thread. You as well as a lot of the other pro guys will point out when the anti side issuing a blanket or false statement but you are also guilty of leading people to believe its going to be a certain way if the union comes in which you have know way of knowing. I see both as misleading and no better than the other.

I've been part of the conversation for a long time. I did not in any way defend what he said about non union paying for insurance, and my reply was really for more than just this thread. You as well as a lot of the other pro guys will point out when the anti side issuing a blanket or false statement but you are also guilty of leading people to believe its going to be a certain way if the union comes in which you have know way of knowing. I see both as misleading and no better than the other.
Never made a false statement about the union. If I did, point it out. And I have always said I could care less if fedex organizes or not.

So you consider almost $80 a month a pretty fat premium?

Not so much on the lesser plan that you chose (in actual dollars) $7 vs $54. When you bump up to the 80/20 plan, the premium for adding 1 person (your spouse) is pretty significant, in actual dollars. $70 vs $272.

As a percentage, the premium paid for spouse coverage is GREATER on the lesser 70/30 plan. The cost for employee & spouse (family) is 3 times the cost of employee & children. Over 7 times the cost of employee only. Quite a fat premium, IMHO.

Last edited:
Carolina Frt didn't close we were bought by ABF. Carhaul has no extra fee's for insurance, Now I don't have a dog in this fight,but what I have seen on here is I think everybody is missing the big picture. It's not union non-union thing it's the fact that compaines and DC that don't give two hoots about the middle class. Fred could up and die tomorrow and turn everything over to the bean counters and then watch what happens,that's what happened at CFCC. "nuff said and good night
Yet another non Fedex driver horning in on our business. At least he admits that he "doesn't have a dog in this fight". Again why do all of the other union carriers drivers push us towards the union? Answer- because we are slowly but surely pulling away their market share. They must realize that the union business model isn't working and are trying to put us in the same predicament as them in order to save themselves.

Yet another non Fedex driver horning in on our business. At least he admits that he "doesn't have a dog in this fight". Again why do all of the other union carriers drivers push us towards the union? Answer- because we are slowly but surely pulling away their market share. They must realize that the union business model isn't working and are trying to put us in the same predicament as them in order to save themselves.
No rules are being broke by non Fedex people 2nd we dident push you towards the union, your own people contacted them brother....

Once upon a time there were those that stood together for their respective trades. One thing is for certain. Something is slowly but surely pulling away. When you wake up one day to find a subcontractor in your place, remind me of how meaningful the market share is at your former employer.

Once you stop posting falsehoods and outright lies maybe it will stop.

You should really do some research.

http://www.manufacturing.net/articles/2011/11/right-to-work-laws-pay-off-with-manufacturing-jobs

And not only are the jobs moving from closed shop states to Right to Work states, Americans are also leaving these bankrupt states and are following the jobs to RTW states.

http://www.aei.org/publication/amer...rced-unionism-states-to-right-to-work-states/

research is easy, i drive for Holland, i see the difference between the industry in the north vs down south. its quite simple, you dont have any down south. its not moving down there, either. not unless you count mexico as the ultimate free market state, i guess...