ABF | Considering changing jobs

Don't know what kind of board they are or how each board is run. I'm looking at Dayton or Cincinnati. I work LTL part of the YRC group been here quite a while.

Cincinnati doesn't have a road board so you'll have to go to dayton.i used to work at a YRC company went to dayton on the road,I like it here I think it was a good move.

You go to IBT and click on freight and than ABF contract update at the top of that you will see 2013 to 2018 ABF contract, supplements updates.
Supplement changes are there but the whole supplements are not and they don't even show which locals are covered by that particular supplement. You'd need the old contract and the new supplement updates to figure anything out.

Obviously you didnt read or comprehend what I just said. Typical.

As far as calling men these silly names, I didn't know Teamsters were so thinned skinned.

I don't think it's a case of thin skin. I gave up calling silly names.....oh......about sixth grade or so. It was getting embarrassing on the playground...........

I need legitimate answers so I have come here to ask them ( and since its on the internet it must be true). I am considering placing a app in for the local terminal.

What is starting pay.
What is the true "casual' position? (working when they need me? Will I get a certain number of hours?)
ABF closed terminals. Are they done closing? The barn here is very small this is why i ask this.
The last contract as I understand it or have been told: Vacation for new hires 1 week paid after 2 years 2 weeks after 8 years 5 personal days or sick days a year. (that didn't sound right because it is not close to the industry average)
I do understand it is overtime after 8 hours.

As a person looking in it is a very fearful leap of faith. Casuals are guaranteed nothing? How long are you a casual? Do i get Health Insurance?

The local terminal has 2 drivers retiring in March. I've been in the P and D LTL side of the house for 12 years so I know what a local in the city is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting pay varies a little around the country as it's based on the rate and the rates are different, not usually by much but different. Chicago seems to be a few dollars/hr ahead of the rest of us. But you should start at around $20/hr.

Casual guaranteed nothing except 8 hours when they call you but if two guys are going in March you should be OK. They could, possibly put you right on the list with little or no casual time if they felt so inclined and that depends on supply and demand for drivers. I am not sure about how many days you have to work as casual to go onto probation, that changes every contract and we have a shiny new contract. Maybe someone else can get that one for you.

Can't give an answer on done closing terminals, only the crystal ball knows for sure.

You are right on vacation but personal days might be different around the country. Four personals and five sick days here, unused ones are paid off at the end of the calendar year.

ABF app:hire ratio is not so good. 10:1 wouldn't surprise me. The app is very important. Dot all your "I's" and cross all your "T's" and if you leave something out like an accident or ticket it's DOA.

Almost all who are cleared for hire and are worked casual do make the list. Only on rare occasion does one drop out or get axed.

ABFer. Thanks. I have heard to leave no stone unturned on the Application and that is why they have so many rejected. I have also heard the app takes a long time to go thru the process. I know I missed the first call they hired 2 casuals a few weeks ago but, from what i have heard from the ABF city guys those to OTR drivers they hired didn't realize what they signed up for and are ready to twist off.

I feel that this a a legit question regarding vacation. How does the company plan to recruit new drivers with that kind of vacation policy? I ask that with these points. The driver pool is and has been low. The quality of drivers out there is low. None of us are getting any younger and the next generation isn't looking to become a driver anytime soon.

ABFer. Thanks. I have heard to leave no stone unturned on the Application and that is why they have so many rejected. I have also heard the app takes a long time to go thru the process. I know I missed the first call they hired 2 casuals a few weeks ago but, from what i have heard from the ABF city guys those to OTR drivers they hired didn't realize what they signed up for and are ready to twist off.

I feel that this a a legit question regarding vacation. How does the company plan to recruit new drivers with that kind of vacation policy? I ask that with these points. The driver pool is and has been low. The quality of drivers out there is low. None of us are getting any younger and the next generation isn't looking to become a driver anytime soon.
You are far from alone with that question. We will have to wait and see what the future holds.

Thats why I see us getting that vacation back in the next contract.

Thats why I see us getting that vacation back in the next contract.
They might be willing to change that with the next beg back. Five years is a long time (four now) to go with bad language like that.

I know this a stupid question, but how do you find out what supplement each terminal has. Thanks

That is not a stupid question. The answer is to ask for a contract book. Because we are changing contracts it may be hard to get one now; you may have to wait for the new ones to come out. But, if you can get a copy of the 2008-2013 one it will cover most of what is in the current contract.