New Penn | contract

you newpenn guys were so proud of having a me too deal well here it is.

Yeah, and like we had any say-so as to the me too deal in the first place! NPME management had no say in the contract negotiations. So I see very little in the language they would be interested in. The only one they will jump at is the four hour casuals at $14 per. They already use them at most terminals to supplement the outbound evening crunch to get the freight moving. Utility employee makes no sense whatsoever for NPME. There is no scenario I've ever seen in my nearly 15 yrs here that NPME couldn't find a way to service a customer's needs. The UE, the cartage work by outside vendors, all that crap is Yellow/Roadway concern, not NPME's. In the end, New Penn votes are just a drop in the bucket compared to Yellow/Roadway. This contract will sink or swim according to the big boy's votes, not ours.

:butt kiss: HEY T.J HERES WHAT I THINK. Vote No!! Worst Contract I Have Ever Seen In My 25 Yrs As A Teamster. Powers To Be Are Pushing Way Too Hard For A Sell Out Contract. Makes One Wonder. ???

Not only am I voting yes on the contract, I'm going to sign the utility bid.

In case you guys haven't noticed, they left our health care alone. I would have agreed to a pay freeze to keep my health care as is. Do you guys realize how lucky we are? Very few companies cover the whole cost of benefits anymore. If I remember correctly I think I was paying $50 a week 10yrs ago when I was working for Coca-Cola. I came to New Penn for the bennys.

Why wouldn't a city guy want to take that utility bid? Why Is it wrong for a city guy to have an easy day every now and then? This whole conspiracy theory of stealing work from a road guy really doesn't concern me because they will have to call in another city guy to cover the utility driver. It all equals out.

Answer me this. I never understood why a road driver gets a 60hr vacation while a city guy only gets 45. Any city driver with balls and a backbone works well over 45hrs. Even with the additional perks a road driver gets, 60hr vacations, assigned tractors, more money, Minimal amounts of physical labor, you can't let a city guy coast from time to time?

I really enjoy my job at New Penn. The hatred some of you guys have for the company astounds me. If you're truly miserable your FREE health care will pay for a therapist, or you could just walk out the same door you came in. None of you would ever do that. Why? Because your so relaxed in your day to day life that you have to find a reason to make life tough on yourselves.

Fat Bastard, some of what you say makes a lot of sense. I too think there are plenty of individuals who don't appreciate how well off we are compared to many folks out there in the working world. I'm not ready to roll over and let it all be taken away piece by piece, though. That being said, I really believe much has been made of very little with regards to how this contract affects NPME. Utility Employee doesn't make sense. New Penn already has more than enough flexibility to meet any needs of the customer. They already demonstrate the ability to make pickups any hour of the day or night. $14 hr/ 4 hr casuals I can see them using. They already do in some terminals to boost outbound production. Good luck getting people to take them up on that offer, though. The rail cartage/outside road vendor issue completely out of NPME's realm of operations. As I said in other posts, this will pass or fail based on how Y/R people vote, not tiny little numbers(in comparison) of NP people. I love working here at NP, just as you do. And also notice some people have nothing better to do than just make trouble for the sake of it. Many of the drivers from other failed carriers have brought their bad attitudes here to NP, and I don't like it one bit. I came here from a failed carrier also, but immediately saw there was something different about NP. There was a certain sense of pride here/ almost a conceitedness. I liked that. Things are not what they used to be here now, and that stinks.
Your issues with how the road drivers have it vs. the city drivers are worth noting. I've been told by plenty of city drivers over the years that they wanted to run the road, but they didn't like being away from home or they were afraid of falling asleep. It's not for everyone, that's for sure. The extra perks must come from past contract negotiations to sweeten the offer and make running the road more attractive. I've done my share of dock/city over the years, but the road is where it's at for me now and in the future.

I really don't see that utility bid taking off and being a threat to anyones day to day job. I'm betting that they're just trying to force it into the contract just in case. All it does is give our customers a new option. Not that they're going to want to pay the cost for a same day delivery, but they know we can provide the service.

These other non-union companies are promising the world and offering up the deals of a lifetime. We have to stay competitive. If that means offering our customers more options we have to do it.

I'm not saying we should agree to anything, but I looked at it and thought, more money, same benefits, not half bad.

The world is not the same place it was during our last contract. We have to change with it or suffer the same fate as some of the old companies. You can't just take and not be willing to give a little for the benefit of the company.

the main problem is the 14 dollar casuals and giving our freight to nons to haul, no matter how low of a % it is.

the main problem is the 14 dollar casuals and giving our freight to nons to haul, no matter how low of a % it is.

this is the reason why i voted NO. overall, the contract aint bad but these 2 parts are garbage. NP already uses multiple non-union carriers which means it will only get worse. as for the $14 pr. hr. casual, this aint gonna help us. i feel p&d and roadmen will both be affected by this b.s. :thumbsdown:

this is the reason why i voted NO. overall, the contract aint bad but these 2 parts are garbage. NP already uses multiple non-union carriers which means it will only get worse. as for the $14 pr. hr. casual, this aint gonna help us. i feel p&d and roadmen will both be affected by this b.s. :thumbsdown:

Great points and I cannot understand how these yes people are thinking. The whole thing just stinks, period!

Don't be a Pinkerton!
Pinkerton National Detective Agency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They won't be able to hire casuals for $14. At least none that could speak the language, pass a background check, or a drug screen.

They won't be able to hire casuals for $14. At least none that could speak the language, pass a background check, or a drug screen.

I just bet this could turn into a great debate.Just watch the people line up for this. Look how the line is at UPS. Its amazing how much the UPS contract dictates the outcome of our contract.
Casual employees are gonna be the norm with in the next few years.Hell its that way now in the retail world.