TForce | Contractors coming to P&D

toilet paper

TB Regular
Credits
So now their wanting to add contractors to the P&D operation in the next contract. Of course it'll only be for weekend delivery's. Good luck on that you see how they've only used them very little on the road...lol

Worse than that, we haven't been able to fully staff our terminal so on top of the 6 new hires, 5 out of town drivers we have 2 contractors working in the city daily.

Will contractors have the option of joining the union at UPS? If not, then you have your answer as to why UPS wants to hire contractors. Reduced costs, reduced pension liability, and reduced union leverage. UPS is trying to break the unions and that shouldn't be a secret to anyone.

Will contractors have the option of joining the union at UPS? If not, then you have your answer as to why UPS wants to hire contractors. Reduced costs, reduced pension liability, and reduced union leverage. UPS is trying to break the unions and that shouldn't be a secret to anyone.
In Louisville, KY UPS Mechanics approved to strike UPS right now. No waiting. The Teamsters or Local has asked to be removed from the mediator talks they are having now. Why? UPS wants to cut their medical benefits in half. If the airplane mechanics go out on strike, it will ground UPS to a halt. 1 the pilots won't cross a line & 2 who wants to drive a 747 when no one is around to fix things? I know I don't. Check it out. von.
https://teamster.org/news/2017/02/teamster-ups-aircraft-mechanics-file-release-mediation

Their stating 30 to 50% of our freight will be Amazon that being said sounds like most P&D driver's will be out of a job. They've already done it to linehaul.

He also advised the NMB that Teamsters General President Jim Hoffa has pledged his and the International Union’s full support of the mechanics’ request
Hoffa is backing a possible strike against UPS? Now you know that something is up, if that weasel comes out.

Won't be any strike, Hoffa and company will just stuff it on them just like before with some unknown language in the bylaws,Think about it Louisville,local 89 Fred's area.

Won't be any strike, Hoffa and company will just stuff it on them just like before with some unknown language in the bylaws,Think about it Louisville,local 89 Fred's area.
Nothing to back me up, but I don't think Hoffa will try that again. He has the legal power to do it. I just can't see it. I believe that the International believes that the rank & file might go on a wild cat strike or a work slow down. Those mechanics have to certify their work, & their inspections in their air frame specialty.. I imagine it wouldn't take much to down a plane because of some safety problem. The second time around I think the rank & file in KY will tell the IBT what they will settle for or make UPS & Hoffa wish they died as a child. And no, the meds have NOT kicked in yet. von.

Years ago I was leased to Jones Motor, paid in 2 checks 1 to the truck and 1 to the driver, driver was a union member.

We had several contractors doing P+D for at least 3 years up until about 3 months ago-----when we lost the staples account.