XPO | Conway Applicant

Driver Shortage

Jeff said:
In your professional opinion, just how bad is the shortage of drivers and is the problem increasing or decreasing....
There is an acute shortage of good drivers. The biggest issue id the lack of drivers with there Hazmat endorsement and then a clean driving record. You get a driver who has accidents and tickets especially in the last three months. Then you look back three years and it kills a lot of applicants. No accidents or tickets in three months and no more than two accidents in three years and two major moving violations (speeding 15 over and ignoring a traffic control device) in three years. We have a dock to driver program going and that is proving successful. We are also able to see there work ethic too.

OT

CFer said:
mpwelsh, Overtime pay has nothing to do with OSHA. Overtime is governed by the Dept of Labor.

The problem is that there are certain industries that are exempt from overtime laws. 3 That I know of are military, farming and transportation.
Thats how these companies avoid paying overtime.

I hope this helps

It depends on the company too. It can be an attractive thing if you are paying OT after 40 and the competition is not. Especially in the P&D world where the norm is 50 hours is normal. We are paying 1.5x after 40 hours per week and it not only attracts drivers it retains them as well.

Did you tell the TM

mpwelsh007 said:
here's the deal conway guys. when i put my application in at conway, i also put an application in at yellow which is right next door to conway in raleigh/durham. well, while i was waiting for the decision to be made by conway, yellow called and i went in and had an interview and took the drug test. i'm waiting on the drug test now. of course it's part-time work on the dock to start. yellow said they would need me to work on friday night and sunday afternoon. well, the tm at yellow told me that if i get the job at conway that they (conway) might have a problem with me working part-time at yellow. union vs. non-union. so, i start at conway wednesday morning and i'm going to tell them that i have the opportunity to pick up extra hours at yellow on the weekend. has anyone encountered this problem before? the tm at yellow told me that guys used to work at 2 or 3 different terminals/companies to make a little more money. will conway have a problem with this situation? if they do, is there any way that my job could be in jeopardy? i didn't read anything in the paperwork that said i could not work for a union company part-time while i work for conway. anyone have any opinions?
Did you tell the TM at Conway? If so what happened? I would personally not say anything because if they wanted to they could let you go already.

i have informed them. they in turn informed me that i would not have a position at conway if i were to work part-time at yellow. i still have the opportunity to go with yellow, but i'm working at conway right now.

Really!!

mpwelsh007 said:
i have informed them. they in turn informed me that i would not have a position at conway if i were to work part-time at yellow. i still have the opportunity to go with yellow, but i'm working at conway right now.
Just as I figured....Do what you got to do man!!!

mpwelsh007 said:
poor fellow

I'll give you my standard new guy introduction...
#1: concentrate on getting everything right with your equipment. Focus on safety, don't sweat the paperwork. Con-Way is the king of tree killers (paperwork, paperwork, paperwork). Screw up the paper work and nobody gets hurt, especially you.
#2: Maintain three times the following distance you are accustomed to in any other rig. Doubles and triples demand your respect. Always react in heavy breaking situations by reducing your forward momentum first, steering to avoid second (this is where the extra following distance pays off).
#3: develop a pre-trip routine that you can do in your sleep. For there will be nights after reship that you will be half asleep when you hook to go back home. When you jump behind that wheel and hit the starter, be sure you did it right the first time.

Good luck and be safe.

Yeah!!

Merdock said:
#1: concentrate on getting everything right with your equipment. Focus on safety, don't sweat the paperwork. Con-Way is the king of tree killers (paperwork, paperwork, paperwork). Screw up the paper work and nobody gets hurt, especially you.
#2: Maintain three times the following distance you are accustomed to in any other rig. Doubles and triples demand your respect. Always react in heavy breaking situations by reducing your forward momentum first, steering to avoid second (this is where the extra following distance pays off).
#3: develop a pre-trip routine that you can do in your sleep. For there will be nights after reship that you will be half asleep when you hook to go back home. When you jump behind that wheel and hit the starter, be sure you did it right the first time.

Good luck and be safe.
I might print this and keep it in my pocket. Even though I have 20 years experiance in driving. You can never do these things to much!!!!!! VERY GOOD Merdock

Merdock said:

Good luck and be safe.

Thats some real good advice Merdock.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am over the road driver used to work at Conway,I let people know and reccomend not to work for Conway.I think Conway drivers think they are better than every other company out here.NOT.Every Conway driver I see on the road always talking on the cell phone not payiny attention to what they
are doing.Most of you guys don't even use a turn signal when changing lanes.I guess they don't make turn signals on sterlings.I personally think Conway is pathetic and those who work for that company.

ohhh hell i am gonna run on that one........

PS looks like I dont have to run on that one cuz the thread is gone now..... Or do i need glasses?????

Next time I will
it so i can make sure I am not blind???????

Well..
I've got two points on your opinion...
#1, opinions are like a_holes... everyone has one and knows two, and I respect your's for what it is
#2, I would not leave Con-Way to go to another LTL company, I may question some things, but you make it sound like our excellent safety record is just dumb luck.

Toxic said:
ohhh hell i am gonna run on that one........

PS looks like I dont have to run on that one cuz the thread is gone now..... Or do i need glasses?????

Next time I will quote it so i can make sure I am not blind???????

no the post is gone your eyes are ok

Jeff said:
In your professional opinion, just how bad is the shortage of drivers and is the problem increasing or decreasing....
It is my opinion that the driver shortage remains and will remain for a time to come with more and more drivers expected to retire. Company's will now hire more and more unexperianced employee's than what they have in the past. Although to some companys this is not a problem as they can train them as they desire. Company's that still require years of experiance will have to change their hiring policies so as to have an incentive for an experianced driver to leave their good job and work for them. Term to top rate, full time status, Benefits, Ect.