XPO | Conway doing Away with CDL Dock Workers - Part timers Only

HowlerMonkey

TB Lurker
Credits
This is not a rumor. This is from the top, Mike Leathers. This is what's happening. They are now phasing out most or all of the CDL dock employees in exchange for part timers without CDL's.

If you haven't had a meeting about it this week. It's rolling your way. Count on it.

Their saying it's the long term financial decision that must be done, could take 1 year or 5 years to fully implement but it is happening. The goal for 2014 is different per each location.

Part time non CDL employees on the dock. CDL employees will only hit the street, no dock work. They're saying why pay a guy $19 - $35 an hour when they can pay $12 an hour and without benefits.

Our drivers are saying some folks are barely getting their hours now so how is this going to work? Make it Lean baby!

On another note, this isn't from the top, not even nearly the top but heard from a guy that's been here 19 years today that along with this phase they're going to phase out the linehaul and out source more freight to other carriers for some reason. They're basically wanting more loaded freight to skip terminals and get closer to where they're actually designated to go by Loading a lot more proper loads which would mean longer runs. What linehaul type operations that are left will be more like actual road drivers according to him running from terminal to terminal to terminal one way, not necessarily returning to your terminal the same day or night because there's too many empties and light loads being brought back.

All coming together now folks.

As a numbers guy myself, I have always questioned how we got to paying drivers $24/hr to move freight on the dock, when we can pay part timers cheaper and have them at the whim and fancy in terms of hours and start times. So I can't say I am surprised at this decision,it was only a matter of time. We base freight rates based on paying a driver top scale among other factors, takes 5 yrs to get there anyway and then pay someone half that = instant savings. Numbers never lie guys.
I think this board would be more like the OD board, if we just come to terms that most any big corporation these days, we trade labor for money and the buck stops there. Healthcare, Pensions, bonuses,OT are going the way of the dinosaur for the small guys and blue collar workers. I have alot of friends in different fields and its all about doing more work for the same salary. I am afraid the 'American' Dream we have been sold through generations is only that, a figment of the imagination these days.

As a numbers guy myself, I have always questioned how we got to paying drivers $24/hr to move freight on the dock, when we can pay part timers cheaper and have them at the whim and fancy in terms of hours and start times. So I can't say I am surprised at this decision,it was only a matter of time. We base freight rates based on paying a driver top scale among other factors, takes 5 yrs to get there anyway and then pay someone half that = instant savings. Numbers never lie guys.
I think this board would be more like the OD board, if we just come to terms that most any big corporation these days, we trade labor for money and the buck stops there. Healthcare, Pensions, bonuses,OT are going the way of the dinosaur for the small guys and blue collar workers. I have alot of friends in different fields and its all about doing more work for the same salary. I am afraid the 'American' Dream we have been sold through generations is only that, a figment of the imagination these days.
ABF and UPS Freight aren't doing this to there drivers, lets try to figure out what the difference is.

This is not a rumor. This is from the top, Mike Leathers. This is what's happening. They are now phasing out most or all of the CDL dock employees in exchange for part timers without CDL's.

If you haven't had a meeting about it this week. It's rolling your way. Count on it.

Their saying it's the long term financial decision that must be done, could take 1 year or 5 years to fully implement but it is happening. The goal for 2014 is different per each location.

Part time non CDL employees on the dock. CDL employees will only hit the street, no dock work. They're saying why pay a guy $19 - $35 an hour when they can pay $12 an hour and without benefits.

Our drivers are saying some folks are barely getting their hours now so how is this going to work? Make it Lean baby!

On another note, this isn't from the top, not even nearly the top but heard from a guy that's been here 19 years today that along with this phase they're going to phase out the linehaul and out source more freight to other carriers for some reason. They're basically wanting more loaded freight to skip terminals and get closer to where they're actually designated to go by Loading a lot more proper loads which would mean longer runs. What linehaul type operations that are left will be more like actual road drivers according to him running from terminal to terminal to terminal one way, not necessarily returning to your terminal the same day or night because there's too many empties and light loads being brought back.

Beerfd remember when I predicted this awhile back, and you said this couldn't happen.

I read it on TruckingBoards so it must be true.

As a numbers guy, have you thought about how much money the company can save if they give all the long runs and OT to the JR guys?

As a numbers guy, have you thought about how much money the company can save if they give all the long runs and OT to the JR guys?

Yes, of course..a 600 mile turn at .46 is much cheaper than .57c. Not sure how the boys in AA could pull this one off without a riot. But I am sure the idea is out there. And even cheaper than a jr guy is a subservice carrier so come to think of it they have.

This is correct. Had meeting yesterday while we were meeting about the start time that are being cut!! The FOM did say they are looking at bumping dock people up in April. I told him we have a stake in the game, less damages more oney we get back on our ICP or whatever they have changed the bonus to being called. I sit and watch some of the dock workers we have and say hey buddy don't tear the freight up. But all the fos sees is cheaper labor. They have cut us back to 8 or less a day!! Wish all you luck, might try make a change after easter. With this lean and everything else going on we are going backwards!!!
:2437:

Yes, of course..a 600 mile turn at .46 is much cheaper than .57c. Not sure how the boys in AA could pull this one off without a riot. But I am sure the idea is out there. And even cheaper than a jr guy is a subservice carrier so come to think of it they have.
They will pull it off the same way they pull everything off. They wiil wait awhile for everybody to calm down and then tell everybody they have to. Looking at history can't you figure that out? They have figured it out.

This is correct. Had meeting yesterday while we were meeting about the start time that are being cut!! The FOM did say they are looking at bumping dock people up in April. I told him we have a stake in the game, less damages more oney we get back on our ICP or whatever they have changed the bonus to being called. I sit and watch some of the dock workers we have and say hey buddy don't tear the freight up. But all the fos sees is cheaper labor. They have cut us back to 8 or less a day!! Wish all you luck, might try make a change after easter. With this lean and everything else going on we are going backwards!!!
:2437:
Next thing will be, your not working full time, so, no benefits.

I,m Sorry to confuse you, but I'm sure with some coaching you'll be able to keep up. I had predicted we would do away with L/H.

ok..That guy heard it from another,,so it's true. lol..They been saying that for about five or six years now. I'll take my chances.

ok..That guy heard it from another,,so it's true. lol..They been saying that for about five or six years now. I'll take my chances.

Yeah the line haul thing I heard is hear say for sure. not saying it's not true but the part timers coming in is happening for sure and I'm 100% positive on that .

We had meeting #2 today, lasted about an hour with our group and the same time for the next group. Told us we had nothing to worry about. Said they're not going to just start hiring the part time guys outta the blue but supposedly only when a driver quits, gets fired or retires then they will hire a dock only non-CDL employee.

Said this will help them to somehow be able to be more flexible for the street and will gradually build up the part time Non-CDL dock only guys. Most of us think the buildup of part timers won't be as gradual as they're saying.

Surprised they'd make such a big deal out of it if it's going to be such a gradual change to the different business model. The big dogs don't come to our barn often, its just all kinda strange and feels like they'll care even less than they already do if you or another driver quits and maybe look forward to it so they can save the barn money with the part time help. What's worst is they may try harder to drive you away to make room for the part timers. I guess we'll all soon see how it goes down.

They may save money but with all the damaged freight from the part timers, turn over rates and loss of customers I guess it's a toss up. They did also say that eventually hiring full time non-CDL dock workers wasn't outta the question.

Beerfd remember when I predicted this awhile back, and you said this couldn't happen.

we were told that they will replace 1 driver with 2 part time dock workers as drivers quit retire. They reduced our I/B dock crew (CDL) bid times from 5 guys to 4 starting with this bid and the 2 top unassigned will come in to work I/B dock. so where is the savings?
:regretful::regretful: