XPO | Conway doing Away with CDL Dock Workers - Part timers Only

If you've got seniority you've got nothing to worry about. They're eventually going to lay off drivers. More dock workers, less drivers needed. Personally I'd be happy not having to work the dock, as long as I got my hours out in the street. Do you think they're going to to lay down runs on linehaul? If they phase out linehaul what are they going to do with their precious safestack? Let the sub carriers pull the doubles? Or are they going model linehaul more like we do at OD, load the pups to run less breaks and run them through the system? Wish you all the best, but something tells me its not going to work out in the driver's favor.

yeah the line haul thing i heard is hear say for sure. Not saying it's not true but the part timers coming in is happening for sure and i'm 100% positive on that .

We had meeting #2 today, lasted about an hour with our group and the same time for the next group. Told us we had nothing to worry about. Said they're not going to just start hiring the part time guys outta the blue but supposedly only when a driver quits, gets fired or retires then they will hire a dock only non-cdl employee.

Said this will help them to somehow be able to be more flexible for the street and will gradually build up the part time non-cdl dock only guys. Most of us think the buildup of part timers won't be as gradual as they're saying.

Surprised they'd make such a big deal out of it if it's going to be such a gradual change to the different business model. The big dogs don't come to our barn often, its just all kinda strange and feels like they'll care even less than they already do if you or another driver quits and maybe look forward to it so they can save the barn money with the part time help. what's worst is they may try harder to drive you away to make room for the part timers. I guess we'll all soon see how it goes down.
they may save money but with all the damaged freight from the part timers, turn over rates and loss of customers i guess it's a toss up. They did also say that eventually hiring full time non-cdl dock workers wasn't outta the question.

bingo!!!!!

If you've got seniority you've got nothing to worry about. They're eventually going to lay off drivers. More dock workers, less drivers needed. Personally I'd be happy not having to work the dock, as long as I got my hours out in the street. Do you think they're going to to lay down runs on linehaul? If they phase out linehaul what are they going to do with their precious safestack? Let the sub carriers pull the doubles? Or are they going model linehaul more like we do at OD, load the pups to run less breaks and run them through the system? Wish you all the best, but something tells me its not going to work out in the driver's favor.

crst will drag the wagons. They already drag wagons for other companies. they can park in the yard and wait on the part timers to load them at the reship.They wont have to pay wait time so it will be perfect. I cant see us going back to bag runs when they got rid of the ESL Lanes.I only know of one ESL run and it hardly qualifies as an ESL run.

If you've got seniority you've got nothing to worry about. They're eventually going to lay off drivers. More dock workers, less drivers needed. Personally I'd be happy not having to work the dock,.

Hope your right for the guys that have put their time in but who really knows? Remember, they're doing all this to save money so it just depends on how far their willing to go. The only drivers at our barn that seem to be getting coached are some of the more senior drivers. I've seen temp services only pay CLass A drivers $12.50 - 13 an hour. If Conway contracted with a temp service and the temp service even paid $16.50 an hour and profited $1 an hour for !000 drivers CHA Ching and never have to pay a dime in OT. I'm just saying, How far are they willing to go?

Or, they could call a meeting and say look guys we can't afford it anymore, we have to buy shorter sun visors for all the trucks that don't cover the cameras. sorry.. We're now offering a top out of $19 an hour with OT at 50 LOL.

I don't want to be in the group of ten that get's laid off at the same time and begin looking for employment in my area with all the others at the same time so I'm actively looking now.

crst will drag the wagons. They already drag wagons for other companies. they can park in the yard and wait on the part timers to load them at the reship.They wont have to pay wait time so it will be perfect. I cant see us going back to bag runs when they got rid of the ESL Lanes.I only know of one ESL run and it hardly qualifies as an ESL run.

We had a WERNER Enterprise driver in our yard a couple nights ago.

Averritt Express has been using temp- service p&d drivers in East Tenn. For the past 3 years. I have asked their drivers and sales people how they can take on that liability along wit letting a temp go out daily and represent your company as a whole. There is no more company pride anywhere because we all truly know that we are only a number. This coming from a Yellow employee with 23 years service.

What's gonna happen is conway will purposely over staff the street operation and get hours to around 35-36 a week. No Health insurance offered anymore. Walmart does it everyday and the employees love it. Save more live better

What's gonna happen is conway will purposely over staff the street operation and get hours to around 35-36 a week. No Health insurance offered anymore. Walmart does it everyday and the employees love it. Save more live better
Maybe in all my spare time I can apply for obamacare ( the affordable plan that's not affordable ) and get a part time at wallyworld , well wait a minute I prolly can't afford all that trouble ... Lol

This is not a rumor. This is from the top, Mike Leathers. This is what's happening. They are now phasing out most or all of the CDL dock employees in exchange for part timers without CDL's.

If you haven't had a meeting about it this week. It's rolling your way. Count on it.

Their saying it's the long term financial decision that must be done, could take 1 year or 5 years to fully implement but it is happening. The goal for 2014 is different per each location.

Part time non CDL employees on the dock. CDL employees will only hit the street, no dock work. They're saying why pay a guy $19 - $35 an hour when they can pay $12 an hour and without benefits.

Our drivers are saying some folks are barely getting their hours now so how is this going to work? Make it Lean baby!

On another note, this isn't from the top, not even nearly the top but heard from a guy that's been here 19 years today that along with this phase they're going to phase out the linehaul and out source more freight to other carriers for some reason. They're basically wanting more loaded freight to skip terminals and get closer to where they're actually designated to go by Loading a lot more proper loads which would mean longer runs. What linehaul type operations that are left will be more like actual road drivers according to him running from terminal to terminal to terminal one way, not necessarily returning to your terminal the same day or night because there's too many empties and light loads being brought back.

All coming together now folks.

Prepare for a 2 hour back-up every night! By starting later every day,it will give o/b time to build 53' and pure loads along with h/l's with break frt. on tail of trailers loaded properly to break at f.a.c sectors. Along with VIAS..... nightly

Last edited by a moderator:

get the facts right. For the heath care act it is under 30 hours

Prepare for a 2 hour back-up every night! By starting later every day,it will give o/b time to build 53' and pure loads along with h/l's with break frt. on tail of trailers loaded properly to break at f.a.c sectors. Along with VIAS..... nightly

These temps wouldn't know how to load a pure if it stared them in the face. But I concur. :)

We are now robots with these handhelds. It falls on the supervisors programming of them at the beginning of the shift. We used to make suggestions with out being shot down. Soooo. 10 motor moves 70 doors away ok. They set it up . Now it's just time. I guess that's what I'm here for,to make money. Lol

We are now robots with these handhelds. It falls on the supervisors programming of them at the beginning of the shift. We used to make suggestions with out being shot down. Soooo. 10 motor moves 70 doors away ok. They set it up . Now it's just time. I guess that's what I'm here for,to make money. Lol
Just move the freight wherever it needs to go. You get paid to move freight, let them worry about the rest. They are going to skew the numbers anyway. Ill mention something, if its a ****ty load and im like crap I really don't want to move all this all the way down there. Just like you cant win a war from the air, the dsrs are the actual boots on the ground, who see how processes can be made more efficient, better ways of handling stuff. But our opinions don't mean squat. You may need to go join one of the blowhard committees at every terminal..hahah

BEERFD would love the part time at wally world he could get a discount on his beer !!

Maybe in all my spare time I can apply for obamacare ( the affordable plan that's not affordable ) and get a part time at wallyworld , well wait a minute I prolly can't afford all that trouble ... Lol