XPO | Conway is also organizing

Status
Not open for further replies.
curious as to your objection to having a mod for our forum? I have closed one thread but left the content there, banned no one, and not altered one post so far. From a driver perspective, I'm on the fence as of late with everything going on. Being the highest paid driving company in our area and not being able to hire anyone sucks. 70 hour weeks suck.

Carry on.
It's not personal towards you. From your past posts on here, I think you were probably the best choice out of anyone on here.

Some people think anytime there's a disagreement over something that the mod is just supposed to be there for them and make it all better. Truth is, sometimes those same people's own mouths cause just as much bullcrap as they are supposedly trying to prevent.

It's not personal towards you. From your past posts on here, I think you were probably the best choice out of anyone on here.

Some people think anytime there's a disagreement over something that the mod is just supposed to be there for them and make it all better. Truth is, sometimes those same people's own mouths cause just as much bullcrap as they are supposedly trying to prevent.
Well said !

What the .... Are you talking about a hate thread ? I don't hate anyone , out loud that is I just disagree sometimes .. And why have I all of a sudden become a lie ? Your the one spewing garbage and you know it with all the anti union propaganda bs like never ending massive amounts being ejected right out of the mouth . Puking so much pro company garbage it's about to make me sick from just reading it !

See now. I am not pro company. I am pro driver.

And yes anti union.

What you get in trouble with is your mistaken belief that a person can't be both.

But you see, in a organizing drive the goal is getting a contract! The signing of cards, the vote are just parts of the campaign.

The goal is a stable company providing good paying jobs to everyone employed there.

There are some people that think we need a union to get that.

They are very short sighted if they believe the goal is simply to get a contract.

See now. I am not pro company. I am pro driver.

And yes anti union.

What you get in trouble with is your mistaken belief that a person can't be both.
And your solution to this problem is what then??

That's a genuinely honest question because I don't have one other than to go work elsewhere. I'm not pro or anti union. I can be pro-company, but only when the company deserves it, which it certainly HASN'T for the last 3 years...

And your solution to this problem is what then??

That's a genuinely honest question because I don't have one other than to go work elsewhere. I'm not pro or anti union. I can be pro-company, but only when the company deserves it, which it certainly HASN'T for the last 3 years...

I'm sorry. I don't have a solution. I agree with you. The company has brought this on itself.

Doesn't mean I am gonna trust some stupid union. Been there done that. I learned a lot from it.

I'm sorry. I don't have a solution. I agree with you. The company has brought this on itself.

Doesn't mean I am gonna trust some stupid union. Been there done that. I learned a lot from it.
At this point I would gladly bring the union to the table because there's no chance I'm going to trust them any less than the idiots that are running this company now.

I would RATHER stay here because I have tons of seniority, but if nothing is going to change around here, then there's no reason to stay. As fast as this place has gone downhill in the last couple years, I'm scared to stay here any longer.

I admire your courage for stepping up to the plate and volunteering for this massive headache of keeping gutter mouthed drivers in line that disagree on occasion , I have no fowl opinion for or aginst a moderatior on this forum but we were in the process of working out who made the actual call for a new mod. No harm intended on the post against you at all or the new job that was aquired. There's no fence for me, I'm all in because in the south were are about he lowest paid drivers around, and yeah your right 70 a week does suck plus it just makes it worse that no one wants to work here .

On occasion?

The goal is a stable company providing good paying jobs to everyone employed there.

There are some people that think we need a union to get that.

They are very short sighted if they believe the goal is simply to get a contract.

This statement doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Yes the goal should be to work for a stable company providing good paying jobs. How are you going to get to this goal without a union? All I've heard is the arguments for or against the Teamsters, but no alternate solutions. If you are going to be against something, the natural next step in a debate would be to offer a solution that attains your goal without using the means discussed here to get to that end.

I would also pose the question to the pro-Teamster side of this debate. Why should the rank and file at Con-way trust that the Teamsters have their best interests at heart? As I see it, the Teamsters have done a lot to improve the LTL industry over the years. There's no questioning that. Times have changed though. I've said this time and time again, it's not 1974 anymore. A majority of truck lines that have gone to the boneyard since deregulation have been union. Not totally the fault of the union (I realize deregulation itself took a lot of carriers out because it eliminated the need to "own" a freight lane, thereby eliminating smaller union lines that owned certain set lanes and yes there has been mismanagement as well) but why have the nons grown and thrived while union lines have died? How do you answer the question of the misallocation of funds, racketeering, and other illegal action that has occurred within the Teamsters organization? What about the senior drivers that have a frozen pension only worth $1300/ month? When they retire what are they going to get? Is Con-way going to be involved in CSPF and the other pension funds? Those guys aren't going to get a full pension because they haven't been in the union as long as someone at say ABF or YRC that's spent 30+ years there. Is that fair to them? Their current and future contributions are going to go to funding current pensioners retirement. What about the guys with 10-15 years in that aren't eligible for the current Con-way pension? They probably aren't going to be able to work long enough to get a full pension.

All I'm saying is there are 3 sides to every story. All I hear is 2 sides screaming at the top of their lungs at each other from both sides of the room. Where is the solution?

Thanks for pointing that out , it does sound a little bias and one sided so I should have said 'allegedly on occasion' . Sometimes proper etiquette goes by the way side !

Somebody called in a bomb threat in LSX. They just started letting us in 30-40 mins. Ago. There looks like 100 trucks lined up here. Gonna be a long night.

Somebody called in a bomb threat in LSX. They just started letting us in 30-40 mins. Ago. There looks like 100 trucks lined up here. Gonna be a long night.
How did ya like that quick street reference to the entertainment spots , see the convict is state wide '

I would also pose the question to the pro-Teamster side of this debate. Why should the rank and file at Con-way trust that the Teamsters have their best interests at heart? As I see it, the Teamsters have done a lot to improve the LTL industry over the years. There's no questioning that. Times have changed though. I've said this time and time again, it's not 1974 anymore. A majority of truck lines that have gone to the boneyard since deregulation have been union. Not totally the fault of the union (I realize deregulation itself took a lot of carriers out because it eliminated the need to "own" a freight lane, thereby eliminating smaller union lines that owned certain set lanes and yes there has been mismanagement as well) but why have the nons grown and thrived while union lines have died? How do you answer the question of the misallocation of funds, racketeering, and other illegal action that has occurred within the Teamsters organization? What about the senior drivers that have a frozen pension only worth $1300/ month? When they retire what are they going to get? Is Con-way going to be involved in CSPF and the other pension funds? Those guys aren't going to get a full pension because they haven't been in the union as long as someone at say ABF or YRC that's spent 30+ years there. Is that fair to them? Their current and future contributions are going to go to funding current pensioners retirement. What about the guys with 10-15 years in that aren't eligible for the current Con-way pension? They probably aren't going to be able to work long enough to get a full pension. All I'm saying is there are 3 sides to every story. All I hear is 2 sides screaming at the top of their lungs at each other from both sides of the room. Where is the solution?
excellent points. Would like to hear from YRC-ATM on this. He seems like a logical person.

I really don't think this company will ever go union, simply because the whole reason this place even EXISTS was to get out from under the union at CF.

There's still plenty of union companies around, and the ones not doing good are really not the fault of the union. Look at YRC: both Roadway and Holland were doing pretty good until the idiots at Yellow swallowed them up. All the financial trouble that YRC is in was caused by recklessly spending too much money too quickly. Has nothing to do with the union.

ABF is union and they are doing fairly well. They took some crappy concessions last round, but they still have a pension and free insurance.

UPS Freight and UPS parcel are probably the best paid drivers out there right now, and they are both union.

On the other hand, I've seen tons of non-union companies that have done well, and some that have went under. A perfect example is the company I used to work for before Con-Way. They were a smaller regional LTL that was originally a union shop until the late 70's when the owner shut it down for 3 years to bust the union and then opened back up non-union in the early 80's. By the time I left in 2009, they had the worst reputation around for drivers. The only people who would work there were those that needed experience and then would leave a year later to get a real job. It got to the point that they had screwed everyone over so badly in the area that they couldn't find ANY drivers. The dispatchers and shop mechanics that had CDL's would get sent out in trucks all the time because they didn't have the people to move the freight. Hell even the operations manager was out peddling freight. It got so bad that eventually the bank froze their assets and called in all their loans and basically shut them down. The company had been in business for 88 years at the time of closing.

Same thing happened with Mid-States. Years of abusing drivers and horrible management decisions led to their assets being frozen and them shutting down. There's plenty of others that I could think of, but I've rambled enough.

Point is, being union doesn't mean that your company is likely to go under, anymore than being non-union means your company will succeed.

After talking to some ex coworkers, conway has gotten to a point where the employees could care less if they shut it down or not. They want relief and they want it now.

I would also pose the question to the pro-Teamster side of this debate. Why should the rank and file at Con-way trust that the Teamsters have their best interests at heart? As I see it, the Teamsters have done a lot to improve the LTL industry over the years. There's no questioning that. Times have changed though. I've said this time and time again, it's not 1974 anymore. A majority of truck lines that have gone to the boneyard since deregulation have been union. Not totally the fault of the union (I realize deregulation itself took a lot of carriers out because it eliminated the need to "own" a freight lane, thereby eliminating smaller union lines that owned certain set lanes and yes there has been mismanagement as well) but why have the nons grown and thrived while union lines have died? How do you answer the question of the misallocation of funds, racketeering, and other illegal action that has occurred within the Teamsters organization? What about the senior drivers that have a frozen pension only worth $1300/ month? When they retire what are they going to get? Is Con-way going to be involved in CSPF and the other pension funds? Those guys aren't going to get a full pension because they haven't been in the union as long as someone at say ABF or YRC that's spent 30+ years there. Is that fair to them? Their current and future contributions are going to go to funding current pensioners retirement. What about the guys with 10-15 years in that aren't eligible for the current Con-way pension? They probably aren't going to be able to work long enough to get a full pension.

All I'm saying is there are 3 sides to every story. All I hear is 2 sides screaming at the top of their lungs at each other from both sides of the room. Where is the solution?

Pensions are NOT worth only $1300. Thats what they COULD be if the fund, and there are dozens of funds, goes to the pbgc. Every retiree I know collects full pensionm. If Conway were to organize I would negotiate a contract that stays out of any multiemployer fund and negotiate in what you have now or a restart of the pension that was halted a few years back. There are plenty of teamster represented companies that are on a stand alone pension or a 401k.

Pensions are NOT worth only $1300. Thats what they COULD be if the fund, and there are dozens of funds, goes to the pbgc. Every retiree I know collects full pensionm. If Conway were to organize I would negotiate a contract that stays out of any multiemployer fund and negotiate in what you have now or a restart of the pension that was halted a few years back. There are plenty of teamster represented companies that are on a stand alone pension or a 401k.

As an outsider and one who doesnt know alot about the ins and outs of union language,pensions would be my #1 problem with joining.To me,it seems like a ponzi,and if im gonna participate in one,it would seem my best chance to collect would be to get in one that starts at the beginning,instead of one that may be in the middle or the end.

Im not knocking it,because I admittedly dont know much about how it works,but I dont want my money going to employees of other companies retirement,when I may not even get a sniff at it when my time comes..I already donate to Gubment ponzi,also known as SS.

Status
Not open for further replies.