XPO | Conway is also organizing

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an outsider and one who doesnt know alot about the ins and outs of union language,pensions would be my #1 problem with joining.To me,it seems like a ponzi,and if im gonna participate in one,it would seem my best chance to collect would be to get in one that starts at the beginning,instead of one that may be in the middle or the end.

Im not knocking it,because I admittedly dont know much about how it works,but I dont want my money going to employees of other companies retirement,when I may not even get a sniff at it when my time comes..I already donate to Gubment ponzi,also known as SS.
Thats why you negotiate into your own retirement program.

Pensions are NOT worth only $1300. Thats what they COULD be if the fund, and there are dozens of funds, goes to the pbgc. Every retiree I know collects full pensionm. If Conway were to organize I would negotiate a contract that stays out of any multiemployer fund and negotiate in what you have now or a restart of the pension that was halted a few years back. There are plenty of teamster represented companies that are on a stand alone pension or a 401k.

Yeah the $1300 pension I was referring to was the Con-way fund that was frozen.

I just figured the Teamsters would want Con-way in the CSPF because it looks like that fund is going to need all the help it can get.

After talking to some ex coworkers, conway has gotten to a point where the employees could care less if they shut it down or not. They want relief and they want it now.

Exactly. People would far rather quit than stay and fight.

And the ones leaving are the ones that give a s***.

So the pool of deadbeats grows and grows. Compounding the problem. And making things progressively worse.

I just figured the Teamsters would want Con-way in the CSPF because it looks like that fund is going to need all the help it can get.
Its not up to the teamsters, its up to the members voting

I really don't think this company will ever go union, simply because the whole reason this place even EXISTS was to get out from under the union at CF.

There's still plenty of union companies around, and the ones not doing good are really not the fault of the union. Look at YRC: both Roadway and Holland were doing pretty good until the idiots at Yellow swallowed them up. All the financial trouble that YRC is in was caused by recklessly spending too much money too quickly. Has nothing to do with the union.

ABF is union and they are doing fairly well. They took some crappy concessions last round, but they still have a pension and free insurance.

UPS Freight and UPS parcel are probably the best paid drivers out there right now, and they are both union.

On the other hand, I've seen tons of non-union companies that have done well, and some that have went under. A perfect example is the company I used to work for before Con-Way. They were a smaller regional LTL that was originally a union shop until the late 70's when the owner shut it down for 3 years to bust the union and then opened back up non-union in the early 80's. By the time I left in 2009, they had the worst reputation around for drivers. The only people who would work there were those that needed experience and then would leave a year later to get a real job. It got to the point that they had screwed everyone over so badly in the area that they couldn't find ANY drivers. The dispatchers and shop mechanics that had CDL's would get sent out in trucks all the time because they didn't have the people to move the freight. Hell even the operations manager was out peddling freight. It got so bad that eventually the bank froze their assets and called in all their loans and basically shut them down. The company had been in business for 88 years at the time of closing.

Same thing happened with Mid-States. Years of abusing drivers and horrible management decisions led to their assets being frozen and them shutting down. There's plenty of others that I could think of, but I've rambled enough.

Point is, being union doesn't mean that your company is likely to go under, anymore than being non-union means your company will succeed.
Piston i think this post is right on point. But the fact of the matter is like you stated the abusing of drivers and horrible management are the cause of this union movement. We all know the company brought this on to itself, employee's are fed up and want something done. This is why we are receiving calls from terminals all over my area seeking representation,

The Teamsters have several different pension funds. Central states only has jurisdiction in certain states. So if different Conway terminals organize and most employee's want to negotiate a pension, depending on their state is what pension fund they would fall into.

Pensions are NOT worth only $1300. Thats what they COULD be if the fund, and there are dozens of funds, goes to the pbgc. Every retiree I know collects full pensionm. If Conway were to organize I would negotiate a contract that stays out of any multiemployer fund and negotiate in what you have now or a restart of the pension that was halted a few years back. There are plenty of teamster represented companies that are on a stand alone pension or a 401k.

The question imposed upon you this morning was quite large, inquisitive and last but not least multi part which could spand in time over many moons. I was a little disappointed with the answer so if you don't mind I will give it a go !
First of all I would start by saying :
Thank You and your fellow employees across this great nation for seeking out the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, our union is the strongest by far in the trucking industry , our objective is to protect the membership new and old with long lasting job security , our mission is to unite into one labor organization of all workers reguardless of religion, race, sex, age, physical disability, or sexual orientation. We will restore faith and trust by providing the best benefit of unionism to all workers, protect / preserve the working conditions through improved wages, bargaining health care and pension benefits , training , political ,,educational and other interest for the benefit of the membership directly or indirectly ultimately leading to secure future.
I could go on and on Into pensions of multi employer vs single employer , benefit payments guaranteed the pbgc act provideds by law , deregulation In the early 80's , corruption from the mid 60's into the late 70's , and where Hoffa is ( conspiracy theory only ) , the fluidness of the cspf . Concerns of Current safeguards on 401k acquired by conway's employees if they join should be a priority in negotiations.
These guys seems to console in your past experience as a union member for a positive and precise answers not the 90% deflection on the statement .. No offense but sell a product and not an opinion especially when most have interest in joining the ibt .
Again these are my thoughts and expressions how to achieve a goal of new membership !

Last edited by a moderator:
The question imposed upon you this morning was quite large, inquisitive and last but not least multi part which could spand in time over many moons. I was a little disappointed with the answer so if you don't mind I will give it a go !
First of all I would start by saying :
Thank You and your fellow employees across this great nation for seeking out the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, our union is the strongest by far in the trucking industry , our objective is to protect the membership new and old with long lasting job security , our mission is to unite into one labor organization of all workers reguardless of religion, race, sex, age, physical disability, or sexual orientation. We will restore faith and trust by providing the best benefit of unionism to all workers, protect / preserve the working conditions through improved wages, bargaining health care and pension benefits , training , political ,,educational and other interest for the benefit of the membership directly or indirectly ultimately leading to secure future.
I could go on and on Into pensions of multi employer vs single employer , benefit payments guaranteed the pbgc act provideds by law , deregulation In the early 80's , corruption from the mid 60's into the late 70's , and where Hoffa is ( conspiracy theory only ) , the fluidness of the cspf . Concerns of Current safeguards on 401k acquired by conway's employees if they join should be a priority in negotiations.
These guys seems to console in your past experience as a union member for a positive and precise answers not the 90% deflection on the statement .. No offense but sell a product and not an opinion especially when most have interest in joining the ibt .
Again these are my thoughts and expressions how to achieve a goal of new membership !
Sorry to dissapoint you with my answer. I could have done like you and written an essay that basically said less than what my answer did.

Sorry to dissapoint you with my answer. I could have done like you and written an essay that basically said less than what my answer did.

That response is what was expected ,you just proved the ineptness of your stance and arguement on union standing in one phrase ( you dont know ) about promoting new membership or very little in what's actually binding in a full contract . . Cluelessness , it whats being displayed as you are the one who has minimal knowledge of all the issues ask of you . Little FYI I would recommend doing a little research before babbling on like you know something and possibly write your own essay to give a positive answer to these guys who requested a solid answer from you, and not some half hearted smarta.. Bs ! With all due respect ' have a good day !

That response is what was expected ,you just proved the ineptness of your stance and arguement on union standing in one phrase ( you dont know ) about promoting new membership or very little in what's actually binding in a full contract . . Cluelessness , it whats being displayed as you are the one who has minimal knowledge of all the issues ask of you . Little FYI I would recommend doing a little research before babbling on like you know something and possibly write your own essay to give a positive answer to these guys who requested a solid answer from you, and not some half hearted smarta.. Bs ! With all due respect ' have a good day !
You dont even deserve a response.

Dude. They biggest union buster out there is the unions themselves. Wake up.

He isn't trying to buffalo us with lies and ignorance. He is speaking honestly.

Stop putting words in other peoples mouths. If you got something to say. Then say it.

You got no business speaking for others. Let alone someone clearly speaking for his self.

Dude. They biggest union buster out there is the unions themselves. Wake up.

He isn't trying to buffalo us with lies and ignorance. He is speaking honestly.

Stop putting words in other peoples mouths. If you got something to say. Then say it.

You got no business speaking for others. Let alone someone clearly speaking for his self.
I was promoting positive action to the lack of inadequate reaction to something that was sincerely ask by two posters ( including our new mod ) and as it stands there was and still is a lackluster response . I put forth a positive prospective which revealed a different outlook , That's It ! These guys has put him on a pedestal including you and if the soap box rider wants to preach have at it . Intently as the new go to guy for union answers we should expect positive accurate info instead of Mumbo Jumbo from a holland city driver .
Sorry to say but I was even hoping for a shining star but as the disappoint sets in I feel ........! But hey it's all good because there's always a guy like me to add extra encuraging words to the conversation and a guy like you to cry wolf !

I was promoting positive action to the lack of inadequate reaction to something that was sincerely ask by two posters ( including our new mod ) and as it stands there was and still is a lackluster response . I put forth a positive prospective which revealed a different outlook , That's It ! These guys has put him on a pedestal including you and if the soap box rider wants to preach have at it . Intently as the new go to guy for union answers we should expect positive accurate info instead of Mumbo Jumbo from a holland city driver .
Sorry to say but I was even hoping for a shining star but as the disappoint sets in I feel ........! But hey it's all good because there's always a guy like me to add extra encuraging words to the conversation and a guy like you to cry wolf !

Just pointing out that a guy working for a union. Particularly one that has failed him as much as that one has. ( give backs, more give backs )

Maybe he is a touch jaded. And not nearly as full of happiness as you want him to be.

Maybe you should stop coming up with reasons for him to be happy, and STFU and listen to why he isn't ?

Watch the personal attacks guys... Don't want to lock it up, so let's keep discussing like adults.

Just pointing out that a guy working for a union. Particularly one that has failed him as much as that one has. ( give backs, more give backs )

Maybe he is a touch jaded. And not nearly as full of happiness as you want him to be.

Maybe you should stop coming up with reasons for him to be happy, and STFU and listen to why he isn't ?
Maybe you need to stfu and worry about your own feckless opinions and quit defending him , i fully understand the entire buyout / merger and the paycuts . he said his piece and I said mine so end of story, so you need to but the ...out with your pointless comments !

Nobody put me on a pedestal and I never asked to be the go to guy for anything. As for my minimal knowledge as you say: I have been a union driver my entire career, shop steward for several years, I'm a 4th generation teamster whose family members have been involved in the union at both the local and national levels for over 80 years as stewards, trustees, Secretary-treasurer, and national vice-president at large. But if I have any questions regarding an organization you have zero experience in, I will be sure to go straight to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.