XPO | Conway Six Sigma

UPSer

TB Lurker
Credits
This program seems to be a real issue within your company. How has it effected you folks on the dock and as drivers? Im just curious as to how something that was crafted in a controlled manufacturing environment has been rolled out into a workplace with highly customized workplace with uncontrolled variables such as weather, traffic, etc....

This program seems to be a real issue within your company. How has it effected you folks on the dock and as drivers? Im just curious as to how something that was crafted in a controlled manufacturing environment has been rolled out into a workplace with highly customized workplace with uncontrolled variables such as weather, traffic, etc....
total cluster****.

Thats what I've been hearing from other conway folks. When they told me about six sigma I was really shocked that it was being practiced so widely there. I could see it working for something like finance or billing with error reductions in controlled environments but to take it where the environment is very uncontrolled made me scratch my head. Thanks for the reply.

There are some places it makes sense; billing,office procedures, parts, maintenance... Static processes. But when they put signs at the ramp that say ramp, one on the gate that says gate, put tape around where the start must go on the sector desk, and it cannot move or someone pees their pants , it's just asinine. As usual, instead of studying it to see how it could benefit us, they went headlong into it. Now they can't stop. Too big to fail. And too much money wasted.

Makes you wonder how they are managing to quantify a return on investment when the six sigma projects have caused such issues around your company.

Makes you wonder how they are managing to quantify a return on investment when the six sigma projects have caused such issues around your company.

Six Sigma went away years ago... now Lean is a different story. We are three years into a Lean journey, with a long way to go. To your point on uncontrolled variables, Lean in transportation is more about finding problems through standard process. As far as the dock environment goes, if everyone is using the same governing principles for their standard processes, anyone can walk down the dock and identify something out of standard and know how it affects the outcome... and hopefully help correct it.

Lean at Con-Way is similar to the challenges at Toyota. There is "TPS", THE Toyota Production System (where they want to be), and then there is Toyota's Production System, this is the system in place today in every plant.

Six Sigma went away years ago... now Lean is a different story. We are three years into a Lean journey, with a long way to go. To your point on uncontrolled variables, Lean in transportation is more about finding problems through standard process. As far as the dock environment goes, if everyone is using the same governing principles for their standard processes, anyone can walk down the dock and identify something out of standard and know how it affects the outcome... and hopefully help correct it.

Lean at Con-Way is similar to the challenges at Toyota. There is "TPS", THE Toyota Production System (where they want to be), and then there is Toyota's Production System, this is the system in place today in every plant.
Yeah because if a broom is out of place, the load wont make its cut time.

Yeah because if a broom is out of place, the load wont make its cut time.

Same way with trashcans..........although I have seen Gary/Hammond use trashcans for dunnage, we've had a can on our dock for a couple of years that has XGH stenciled on it.

no, no I asked a regional VP.... Going ahead full steam!

Lean methodology is Greg L s forte and baby. If you read his bio that's his specialty. I believe if Greg go so will lean. As I've said before. Invest in workforce , IT, and necessities of our business and you will see a much greater return. Too many people trying to justifiy/keep the gravy executive jobs.

I thought so samenhere. But someone plz tell me where is the ****ter. No sign. And there is no garbage can where the sign is . what the hell am I supposed to do