XPO | Conway Six Sigma

rnTOh10.jpg

5lIXNCD.jpg

When they first mentioned LEAN at my terminal, I was doubtful it could work and I was doubtful that any employees would embrace it. Now, over a year later, I've seen improvements and I've seen people get engaged who I thought never would. If I need a drum picker, a placard, a log book, a dock hook, whatever the item is, I can most often find it the first time. Before LEAN, I can honestly say, I could not. As a city driver, I have noticed that in the last 6 months or so, I'm not waiting on freight in the morning nearly as much as I used to, perhaps LEAN is working at other terminals as well. Surely becoming more orgainzed and more efficient cannot be a bad thing, right? I do think LEAN can work at Con-way the way it has worked at Toyota because there are so many factors we as an LTL cannot control, but it seems to work for inventory control and work place organization.
Do you think that maybe if terminals would enforce putting thing back when done, o maye hiding responsible employees everything would be in order. Or how about this, bring back building maintainance, because really that is all it boils down to. And as far as drivers embracing lean, at our barn it just feeds them unlimited o.t.

Do you think that maybe if terminals would enforce putting thing back when done, o maye hiding responsible employees everything would be in order. Or how about this, bring back building maintainance, because really that is all it boils down to. And as far as drivers embracing lean, at our barn it just feeds them unlimited o.t.
I re-read my post and I found that I forgot an important word. Where it says I think Lean can work here like at Toyota, I meant to say do not, I do not think it will work here like at Toyota. I do think LEAN goes beyond building maintainance and just putting things back in there place.

I re-read my post and I found that I forgot an important word. Where it says I think Lean can work here like at Toyota, I meant to say do not, I do not think it will work here like at Toyota. I do think LEAN goes beyond building maintainance and just putting things back in there place.
Where do I put the broom and shovel? I need signage , please help......

It certainly does go beyond building maintenance. It creates mindless drones incapable of independent thought apart from the way they have been instructed. The powers that be don't want you to think or your input, just what they've told you to do and how and when and why.

It certainly does go beyond building maintenance. It creates mindless drones incapable of independent thought apart from the way they have been instructed. The powers that be don't want you to think or your input, just what they've told you to do and how and when and why.
Song, with all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about.

Lean in manufacturing does have a goal of eliminating unnecessary decision making and wasted process steps on the part of the line worker. In our environment decision making must be embraced regarding primarily haz-mat compliance as it relates to loading, and handling of freight (building the 3-D jigsaw puzzles we call loaded trailers). What should be the standard process for all supervisors and managers is to put their relationship with their employees first and the scorecard second. Lean (outside of CWF's varied local interpretations) says success comes from building organizational (employee engagement) excellence... and that gives you the easy road to operational excellence.

"Positive discretionary behavior" is the goal of all successful companies... making the right decisions

nothing mindless in my day-to-day work enviroment junior... and I didn't even go to my company-provided script for any cut and pasting

Lean in manufacturing does have a goal of eliminating unnecessary decision making and wasted process steps on the part of the line worker. In our environment decision making must be embraced regarding primarily haz-mat compliance as it relates to loading, and handling of freight (building the 3-D jigsaw puzzles we call loaded trailers). What should be the standard process for all supervisors and managers is to put their relationship with their employees first and the scorecard second. Lean (outside of CWF's varied local interpretations) says success comes from building organizational (employee engagement) excellence... and that gives you the easy road to operational excellence.

"Positive discretionary behavior" is the goal of all successful companies... making the right decisions

nothing mindless in my day-to-day work enviroment junior... and I didn't even go to my company-provided script for any cut and pasting

No you didn't have to go to it for cutting and pasting. You are a true born-again believer, washed in the blood of the blue. You have it memorized chapter and verse. You keep believing that bullshit and I just might have some oceanfront property in Arizona you might be interested in.

Ok then, if I don't know what I'm talking about, please, enlighten me. I'll give you time to get out your company-provided script.
Well, speaking from my own experience as a lean process owner and from observing what other process owners are doing, I'd have to say we've made some big improvements at our facility. We've organized our OS&D area to where it's uses less dock space while at the same time giving us the ability to process more freight, efficiency. We've organized our placard storage areas to where all standard placards are readily available at each sector stand and every sector stand is identical to the other as to placard organization. We've also made it easy to quickly identify required placards so as to save time searching. Engagement and efficiency. We've organized our dock so that all assets such as rug poles, drum pickers and such are at the same place near each sector desk, making them easy to find as well. I could go on, but there is too much to say. We had our skeptics, like you, when we first started the lean journey, but now some of those skeptics are coming to those of us on the lean team and expressing their satisfaction with how our processes have smoothed out and they are participating in offering and engaging in future projects. We have before and after pictures of everything we've done and when I look at those, I can see the positive difference our hard work has produced. I suppose there will always be doubters and that's ok, they can't avoid benefitting from the improvements we've made. I'm proud of our team, our process owners, 5S checkers, and everyone else involved, we truly have made our terminal better than it was before we started.

Well, speaking from my own experience as a lean process owner and from observing what other process owners are doing, I'd have to say we've made some big improvements at our facility. We've organized our OS&D area to where it's uses less dock space while at the same time giving us the ability to process more freight, efficiency. We've organized our placard storage areas to where all standard placards are readily available at each sector stand and every sector stand is identical to the other as to placard organization. We've also made it easy to quickly identify required placards so as to save time searching. Engagement and efficiency. We've organized our dock so that all assets such as rug poles, drum pickers and such are at the same place near each sector desk, making them easy to find as well. I could go on, but there is too much to say. We had our skeptics, like you, when we first started the lean journey, but now some of those skeptics are coming to those of us on the lean team and expressing their satisfaction with how our processes have smoothed out and they are participating in offering and engaging in future projects. We have before and after pictures of everything we've done and when I look at those, I can see the positive difference our hard work has produced. I suppose there will always be doubters and that's ok, they can't avoid benefitting from the improvements we've made. I'm proud of our team, our process owners, 5S checkers, and everyone else involved, we truly have made our terminal better than it was before we started.

Well so far all I heard was building maintenance and standardized place my of stuff. Did you out a sign over the fuel island saying "fuel island"? Did you label the trucks? I hope so because nobody knows what those things are. Did you build a board for the straps that's empty all the time? Did you build a saag board with an expensive electric motor on it to raise it and lower it because you have 1 gargantuan driver and a short os&d clerk? Who needs to be writing on the saag board but the dock screw on the stand? Did you ask for input and then disregard all suggestions because it's not what you wanted to hear? Did you decide to pay a linehaul driver salary for his run when he was on lean because he was butthurt and losing money getting paid hourly and is a former personnel supervisor so he can get away with it? These are my experiences with lean. Waste of time and money. Just an opportunity for those who are under the tm's desk to milk the clock painting circles while the rest of us bust our asses because we're understaffed due to guys on lean. Sorry, I'm not a believer.

Well so far all I heard was building maintenance and standardized place my of stuff. Did you out a sign over the fuel island saying "fuel island"? Did you label the trucks? I hope so because nobody knows what those things are. Did you build a board for the straps that's empty all the time? Did you build a saag board with an expensive electric motor on it to raise it and lower it because you have 1 gargantuan driver and a short os&d clerk? Who needs to be writing on the saag board but the dock screw on the stand? Did you ask for input and then disregard all suggestions because it's not what you wanted to hear? Did you decide to pay a linehaul driver salary for his run when he was on lean because he was butthurt and losing money getting paid hourly and is a former personnel supervisor so he can get away with it? These are my experiences with lean. Waste of time and money. Just an opportunity for those who are under the tm's desk to milk the clock painting circles while the rest of us bust our asses because we're understaffed due to guys on lean. Sorry, I'm not a believer.
It's all good, I'm not trying to make you a believer, I was just citing the positive changes that have happened in my workplace over the course of the last year. All I can really say to address your post is that LEAN is only going to work as well as the people who participate in it, we just happen to be fortunate enough to have exceptionally good people where I work.

It's all good, I'm not trying to make you a believer, I was just citing the positive changes that have happened in my workplace over the course of the last year. All I can really say to address your post is that LEAN is only going to work as well as the people who participate in it, we just happen to be fortunate enough to have exceptionally good people where I work.
IMO, lean will not work as they want it to. I feel it should be used in stable, static processes that don't change from day to day. It will never work for freight, and it was a complete waste of money to try. You want to standardize the office, filing system, parts sheds, maintence system? Great! Those should be all the same. I have lost count of how many times I have fought with dock workers and supervisors over lean loading practices ....