Yellow | COO April 2012 comments thread .

Why does some think the only freight UE's hauled was 1 day freight? UE's haul trailers full of 1-5 day freight!!! These will now become bid runs out of the breaks, another thing is our focus is going to be long haul. I haven't read anywhere that were interlining our next day and 2 day freight to the regionals. We still have customers that like YRC as there preferred carrier! Did I miss the memo that time critical is being done away with too!!!
The only reason you got a Memo for the 1 day frieght is it requires a COO. Just saying.....We never had trouble making TC longhual before we vetured into Next day anyway. And no need to worry about the ones under 500 miles anymore.

The only reason you got a Memo for the 1 day frieght is it requires a COO. Just saying.....We never had trouble making TC longhual before we vetured into Next day anyway. And no need to worry about the ones under 500 miles anymore.
With all due respect, if you don't offer a complete product across the board, you can expect freight levels to drop.

I'm one of the people being negatively effected by yellow's flesh eating businesslike practices and it sucks working for decent co. For so long then having another co. Come in steel everything you have buy hortatory and throw. Us to the dogs. I personally hope they all (yellow management) have to do a ten year prison sentance we've done nothing but go downhill since the merge
thats good sincethe merger it was mainly roadway people runin the show in the midwest allmost all the yellow people lost there jobs at merger so facts arnt correct for the midwest

i work in springfield ,mo. well at least untill april 1. then it looks like layoff after 23 yrs. it looks to me like i will not even get a chance to transfer if i wanted to. looking at the change it does not appear they are offering enough for us to follow the work. not really sure where it seems to be going? i started as a casual in 1988. at that time there was a 200plus road board here. and about a 160 plus dock board. dock grew to almost 200 man board in mid 90's. today we have 2 bid drivers about 4or 5 extra board. and 44 guy's on the dock. so now we are losing the remaining drivers and will have about 18 to 20 guy's on the dock/p&d. seems funny to have 145 door terminal with mechanics and fuel islands and not use it!!! plenty of land around it to add doors someday if the company ever grows??????????? holland moved in here a year or so ago and uses a few doors on the north end. but it will be mostly empty. this terminal was always a good producer and profitable!!!!!!!!!! seems strange that if they want a small terminal here they should have sold this one and kept the old yellow terminal down the road it had 45doors? but in my opinion i think the writing is on the wall. early in the change paper work it states that the current system is designed for 70,000 shipments. it states i believe we are doing 48,000 a day?? i can remember when 70,000 or 80,000 shipments was a so so day! and that was roadway alone. i guess what i am saying is they the upper management have no intentions of ever growing it back to what it was? they have sold so much off that i do not believe this company has enough capacity to grow much more than 70,000 a day. well believe it or not it is time to get ready for my shift. i can already feel the doom an gloom coming from old 547 and not even there yet.

With all due respect, if you don't offer a complete product across the board, you can expect freight levels to drop.
They certainly will. :27: Nobody is gonna want to hear that. Hope I'm just being my usual negitive self. :soapbox:

I just got off the phone with my TM and he said that all TM's were just involved in a nationwide conference call and they are being told to answer no more questions regarding the COO. WTF over!!! Who can answer our questions?? I hate this place more and more everyday.

Yes I do. There are winners and losers in any COO. The objective is to configure the network in such a way as to provide for the MOST cost effective operation. This is not a COO I would have written but Messrs. Welch and Rogers didn't consult with me!
As info, North Lima (R07) is AKA "the duck pond".
We went from 309 to 135 which paid 641 miles, to 309 to R07 406 miles, and now it will be 309 to 218 which pays 343 miles. I call that poor utilization of us Road Drivers.

We went from 309 to 135 which paid 641 miles, to 309 to R07 406 miles, and now it will be 309 to 218 which pays 343 miles. I call that poor utilization of us Road Drivers.
What you will see is substantially more X50 via's to and from 218/211. Also those 218 domiciled drivers will gain the miles 309 lost. 218 - 135 will be a turn NOT a lay down. 218 - 123 will actually save a few miles and toll cost. Am I pleased with this part of the COO of course not I've North Lima or Harrisburg for almost all of the last 19 years. 309 has been involved in many COOs and our drivers have persevered. This COO will be no different.

What you will see is substantially more X50 via's to and from 218/211. Also those 218 domiciled drivers will gain the miles 309 lost. 218 - 135 will be a turn NOT a lay down. 218 - 123 will actually save a few miles and toll cost. Am I pleased with this part of the COO of course not I've North Lima or Harrisburg for almost all of the last 19 years. 309 has been involved in many COOs and our drivers have persevered. This COO will be no different.

i work in springfield ,mo. well at least untill april 1. then it looks like layoff after 23 yrs. it looks to me like i will not even get a chance to transfer if i wanted to. looking at the change it does not appear they are offering enough for us to follow the work. not really sure where it seems to be going? i started as a casual in 1988. at that time there was a 200plus road board here. and about a 160 plus dock board. dock grew to almost 200 man board in mid 90's. today we have 2 bid drivers about 4or 5 extra board. and 44 guy's on the dock. so now we are losing the remaining drivers and will have about 18 to 20 guy's on the dock/p&d. seems funny to have 145 door terminal with mechanics and fuel islands and not use it!!! plenty of land around it to add doors someday if the company ever grows??????????? holland moved in here a year or so ago and uses a few doors on the north end. but it will be mostly empty. this terminal was always a good producer and profitable!!!!!!!!!! seems strange that if they want a small terminal here they should have sold this one and kept the old yellow terminal down the road it had 45doors? but in my opinion i think the writing is on the wall. early in the change paper work it states that the current system is designed for 70,000 shipments. it states i believe we are doing 48,000 a day?? i can remember when 70,000 or 80,000 shipments was a so so day! and that was roadway alone. i guess what i am saying is they the upper management have no intentions of ever growing it back to what it was? they have sold so much off that i do not believe this company has enough capacity to grow much more than 70,000 a day. well believe it or not it is time to get ready for my shift. i can already feel the doom an gloom coming from old 547 and not even there yet.
I'm sorry to here this for you. I had about the same luck in kcm. I'm not blaming any one person,but if our union had spent more time unionizing instead of politicing mabe we could have got other companies on board.

I just got off the phone with my TM and he said that all TM's were just involved in a nationwide conference call and they are being told to answer no more questions regarding the COO. WTF over!!! Who can answer our questions?? I hate this place more and more everyday.

The reason would be that it is against labor law for management to by-pass the Union and discuss these issues before they have been negogiated....YRC has yet to meet with the Local Unions on this COO, and things could change.....smart move on YRC's part.....stay out of the UNion's business....nothing more....nothing less....your questions will all be answered soon.....KK

I am sorry to see what is happening at terminal 547. I spent 28 years at terminal 859 (Albuquerque) and stripped a boatload of Springfield Mo. trailers. Hope it works out for you boosis.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason would be that it is against labor law for management to by-pass the Union and discuss these issues before they have been negogiated....YRC has yet to meet with the Local Unions on this COO, and things could change.....smart move on YRC's part.....stay out of the UNion's business....nothing more....nothing less....your questions will all be answered soon.....KK
WOW!!! I did not know it was against the law. Thanks KK. I guess since we live in the tech age I was looking for instant gratification. Thanks for the help.

Just another quick question for you KK. Can my labor guy answer any questions for me or does he have to wait until after the hearing?? I'm meeting with him on Thursday morning and I just wonder if I'm wasting my time or not. Thanks.

I swear we got letters about how YRC needed concessions from Smid. What made that OK? And we will not get to vote on this COO so how is it that the company is violating Labor Law? Odd

Boosis , You can transfer to any gaining domicile in the country if you want to , in accordance with your seniority. Good luck brother.

YRC Is Changing It's "Footprint"!

Some of you guys just don't get it. The company is giving all the short haul freight to the regionals. They already handle such freight so the increase from us will boost their profits considerably. We will no longer have the separate distribution network dedicated to the short haul thus we will save money. It is a win win situation for the company. Unfortunately it is a bad deal for the employees involved. They cannot follow the freight to a different company , chances are some of it will be taken by FedEx , Conway etc. The business is being eliminated. But that's business. Moral of the story..never ever transfer to a small terminal where your job can be eliminated easily. Try to stick to the big breakbulks in the major cities.
YRC execs said they are changing the "footprint" of YRC! Remember USF Dugan in TX and OK? Remember USF Holland in the southern states?
All YRC has to say is "we no longer service those lanes" and the freight is GONE! Do I think it's right that YRC employees WILL NOT get to follow their work to Holland, New Penn, and Reddaway....NO WAY!...but you know that's how it's gonna turn out! Don't forget that you'll always have "preferential hiring" at one of the regionals...although at a lower pay rate, and no seniority! What a mess!

:flame:

I'm one of the people being negatively effected by yellow's flesh eating businesslike practices and it sucks working for decent co. For so long then having another co. Come in steel everything you have buy hortatory and throw. Us to the dogs. I personally hope they all (yellow management) have to do a ten year prison sentance we've done nothing but go downhill since the merge

then explain to me how at the merger 80 percent of yellow terminal managers dispatchers, supervisors, and such where shown the door in the midwest and then 6 months later more where gone all that was left was 95 percent roadway people in the midwest in managment and supervision, and dispatch sso is that a fair statment since the merger get your facts straight plz be fair know the facts