Yellow | COO April 2012 comments thread .

I swear we got letters about how YRC needed concessions from Smid. What made that OK? And we will not get to vote on this COO so how is it that the company is violating Labor Law? Odd

Because what he spoke about during that time had already been negogiated with the IBT, and was OK to discuss with employees. The Company will be meeting soon with the Local Unions, and the Stewards, and then it will go before the COO Comm. for a hearing and decession.

Lets put it this way....what if the Boss came up to everyone and said the company was closing YOUR terminal and you go into panic mode and start putting your house on the market and then AFTER the hearing, the COO Comm. ruled to keep YOUR terminal open? Yeah, I would be pissed to....that is why we always state that this is a PROPOSED COO......just play it safe and wait for the final out come....just for a little history here....YRC was going to close the Springfield, MO breakbulk back in the 2/2010 COO, but we proved their numbers were wrong and the COO Comm REDUCED the road moves by 10% and kept the Sprinfield, MO Breakbulk opened....are our memories that short?.....KK

I dont get it either.
its ok for our TM , union reps, hoffa zollors and you name any1 else to call us and bring us into the office and threaten everyones jobs if that last mou didnt pass , but its not ok for them to take the time to explain their intentions so we have a better understanding and prepare for what may be coming for many here.
DOESNT MAKE ANY SENSE TO ME.

OK...............can someone PLEASE explain something to me? I mean no disrespect to the people at the terminals I'm about to mention, but something doesn't make sense to me. The three biggest gainers in the "proposal" are Dallas, Atlanta, and Chicago. These terminals all seem to have major Labor-management issues. Now, if I understand correctly, the purpose of this change is to make YRC a more streamlined and efficient company. And to do so, YRC is counting on utilizing terminals where they have historically had problems. I can use my own "loosing terminal" as an example. The Valdosta Ga. dock averages 4 bills an hour. The Atlanta dock has a goal of 2.7 bills per hour, but they don't achieve it. How will this make YRC more profitable?

OK...............can someone PLEASE explain something to me? I mean no disrespect to the people at the terminals I'm about to mention, but something doesn't make sense to me. The three biggest gainers in the "proposal" are Dallas, Atlanta, and Chicago. These terminals all seem to have major Labor-management issues. Now, if I understand correctly, the purpose of this change is to make YRC a more streamlined and efficient company. And to do so, YRC is counting on utilizing terminals where they have historically had problems. I can use my own "loosing terminal" as an example. The Valdosta Ga. dock averages 4 bills an hour. The Atlanta dock has a goal of 2.7 bills per hour, but they don't achieve it. How will this make YRC more profitable?

Maybe it's just location.

Because what he spoke about during that time had already been negogiated with the IBT, and was OK to discuss with employees. The Company will be meeting soon with the Local Unions, and the Stewards, and then it will go before the COO Comm. for a hearing and decession.

Lets put it this way....what if the Boss came up to everyone and said the company was closing YOUR terminal and you go into panic mode and start putting your house on the market and then AFTER the hearing, the COO Comm. ruled to keep YOUR terminal open? Yeah, I would be pissed to....that is why we always state that this is a PROPOSED COO......just play it safe and wait for the final out come....just for a little history here....YRC was going to close the Springfield, MO breakbulk back in the 2/2010 COO, but we proved their numbers were wrong and the COO Comm REDUCED the road moves by 10% and kept the Sprinfield, MO Breakbulk opened....are our memories that short?.....KK
Very good examlple of why it should not be done. Still would not violate Labor laws in my opinion. Its not like the company will negotiate with any employee or refuse to reconize the Union as sole Bargaining Agent for the members.

I certainly don't know the Terminals you speak of. In my experience those Bills per hour things were so manipulated by the local TMs that they were a useless indicator of the work force.....Just maybe this Welch character ain't as dumb as the last CEO???

Ok guys i'm going to ask a question, and i'm not trying to start anything but hear goes. Next day freight is the highest paying freight, if YRC gives this to the regionals what does YRC have left? The loss of just 1 job is bad, if YRC is looking to get back in the black should'nt they lay off more drivers? it looks to me they are saying that it only takes 180 drivers give or take to move the next day freight thru 48 states? That just does'nt add up. I hate to say this but it looks alot like CF and CON-WAY.
Again i'm, am not trying to start something but i just want you to think about it.

That's not a bad question at all . Now here's what I was told the other day ( take it or leave it ) . The " next day " and "two day" rates are some of the lowest in the LTL business . The niche carriers along with others have dropped the rates so low it's hard to make any money with them now . Now another problem is the cost associated with the " next day " has gotten higher at the same time claims, guarantee service payouts etc etc . So getting back to LTL should ( fingers crossed ) help out !

Ok guys i'm going to ask a question, and i'm not trying to start anything but hear goes. Next day freight is the highest paying freight, if YRC gives this to the regionals what does YRC have left? The loss of just 1 job is bad, if YRC is looking to get back in the black should'nt they lay off more drivers? it looks to me they are saying that it only takes 180 drivers give or take to move the next day freight thru 48 states? That just does'nt add up. I hate to say this but it looks alot like CF and CON-WAY.
Again i'm, am not trying to start something but i just want you to think about it.

That's not a bad question at all . Now here's what I was told the other day ( take it or leave it ) . The " next day " and "two day" rates are some of the lowest in the LTL business . The niche carriers along with others have dropped the rates so low it's hard to make any money with them now . Now another problem is the cost associated with the " next day " has gotten higher at the same time claims, guarantee service payouts etc etc . So getting back to LTL should ( fingers crossed ) help out !
Ok its hard to make a buck,but yet Holland seems to always be on the right side of making it,even if its low rated.YRC giving up on less than 500 mile freight seems to me will shrink the company even more than the change numbers reflect,some how and I do not have any solid numbers to back this up,just a gut feeling,it seems we could be seeing anywhere from 10% to who knows how much in less freight serviced.It will all total less work.Hope I'm wrong,I really do.Anybody else got any ideas on this.

I'm not going to disagree about TM's manipulating numbers, but usually they don't do it when it reflects on their own performance. Your performance, yes; theirs NEVER!

I'm not going to disagree about TM's manipulating numbers, but usually they don't do it when it reflects on their own performance. Your performance, yes; theirs NEVER!
True. But is the one terminal "Really" that much better than the other? And is numbers we get in Preshift the same ones Welch gets? :shrug:

True. But is the one terminal "Really" that much better than the other? And is numbers we get in Preshift the same ones Welch gets? :shrug:

I can only tell you to ask people that have been at both. One was mentioned on another thread (his initials are C.H.) another is K.W. Both are at 402 now. They spent time at both terminals.

Ok its hard to make a buck,but yet Holland seems to always be on the right side of making it,even if its low rated.YRC giving up on less than 500 mile freight seems to me will shrink the company even more than the change numbers reflect,some how and I do not have any solid numbers to back this up,just a gut feeling,it seems we could be seeing anywhere from 10% to who knows how much in less freight serviced.It will all total less work.Hope I'm wrong,I really do.Anybody else got any ideas on this.

I could be totally wrong on this, but don't the new changes only indicate that YRC Freight will not be going after the short haul freight and also that they will be eliminating the short haul "network-in-a-network" for handling that freight? IMHO that doesn't necessarily mean they won't accept short haul freight if it's offered by shippers. Of course that's with the understanding that possibly the short haul service may not be as quick.

I can only tell you to ask people that have been at both. One was mentioned on another thread (his initials are C.H.) another is K.W. Both are at 402 now. They spent time at both terminals.
Your bound and determined that a certain group of Teamsters is way better than another....I'm not so we'll agree to disagree I guess....Now if your right that makes all those that swear it makes no difference on how you do your job around here correct....Sucks.

I could be totally wrong on this, but don't the new changes only indicate that YRC Freight will not be going after the short haul freight and also that they will be eliminating the short haul "network-in-a-network" for handling that freight? IMHO that doesn't necessarily mean they won't accept short haul freight if it's offered by shippers. Of course that's with the understanding that possibly the short haul service may not be as quick.
I would have to agree on the surface....My concern would be why on earth ship it with us? Price?....R-14 was informed that the craps cheep now anyway. And YRC is publicly announcing you'll get it when we get there so speed is out of the question. :frown:

Just an observation as to what will take place........YRC Freight will give their "Short Haul" accounts to Holland, New Penn, and Reddaway within their respective territories and those carriers will no longer interline the "Long Haul" accounts with each other, cause YRC Freight will take it over. It's a give and take "swap", you give me your "Long Haul", I'll give you my "Short Haul".

Last edited by a moderator: