New Penn | COO in Maspeth ??

UnionTrucka

TB Regular
Credits
word came down from the TM that there is ongoing discussions about a possible COO. from what i gathered the geniuses down in PA are thinking about diverting all of the Bronx frt. to the S.Kearny terminal. several of us including our steward asked the TM about this and he confirmed that there was only "discussions" about this and that nothing is official. as of right now we would be losing 6-7 loads per day. any info out there ??? Allnighttrain44, where you at ???

That's a new rumor, but never discount anything when it comes to change.
You can always follow the work however, doesn't mean you will lose your job, only means you may have to go to Kearny to punch in.

That's a new rumor, but never discount anything when it comes to change.
You can always follow the work however, doesn't mean you will lose your job, only means you may have to go to Kearny to punch in.

If someone on the bottom of the Maspeth list with just a couple of years in 707 were to follow the work to Kearny, is there any way that they could get into 641's great pension fund? Would they have a choice or are they locked into their old fund?

If someone on the bottom of the Maspeth list with just a couple of years in 707 were to follow the work to Kearny, is there any way that they could get into 641's great pension fund? Would they have a choice or are they locked into their old fund?

From what I understand,only by quitting and starting all over,and they would have to go through the hiring all over with no guarantee that they would be hired..:funky: Wouldn't it be nice if every locals pension were the same:smilie_132: >>>>CRAZY

if they do move the work, once again, 707 loses members correct ?? i always felt the Manhattan work should come outta NJ but the Bronx ? i've ran the Bronx and i loved it but count me out when it comes to working outta NJ. here's a question for you guys : in my opinion there isn't a TM that can stop a COO. this is strictly upper management's call correct ? our dispatcher made the comment to my steward that "this guy", our TM, "should try to stop this". for some reason i don't think they, a TM, can do anything about this. please inform me if im wrong.

Any member that follows the freight remains a member of the original local,also benifits and pension remain the same..Only the dues money would go to the local that represents the terminal they transferred to...

if they do move the work, once again, 707 loses members correct ?? i always felt the Manhattan work should come outta NJ but the Bronx ? i've ran the Bronx and i loved it but count me out when it comes to working outta NJ. here's a question for you guys : in my opinion there isn't a TM that can stop a COO. this is strictly upper management's call correct ? our dispatcher made the comment to my steward that "this guy", our TM, "should try to stop this". for some reason i don't think they, a TM, can do anything about this. please inform me if im wrong.
UT,
It would probably depend on how much juice the TM had with Corporate and those who make the final decision. If your TM fights like hell to keep the work in NY he might be able to convince the higher ups....then again, maybe not. I really hinges on how bad they want to do it.

what i heard was 07 could'nt handel all they have right now.and , yes kearney was to get a certain area of freight to ease the conjestion. i didnt think there was going to be a transfer of jobs, just more 07 guys to get all delivered and p/ued.i heard the bronx going to kearney, but that is one area 07 has a fair amount of p/u's, and that is where the money is for each terminal, in there p/u's. your right union trucker, manhatten would be a good area to give to kearney as they have plenty of p/u's in there area alreadywouldnt help 07 numbers by takeing away a good p/u area from them.i have been told kearney operates consistinly in the 80's o/r wise.but i guess we have to remember, npme's way of makeing money is now replaced with yellows numbers on what is good , or makeing money. so i guess you'll have to wait and see what the final out come of this all is.

I remember a few years ago, Roadway wanted to lay off about 20% of the work force system wide. At my terminal that would have amounted to about 20 guys. Our TM at the time told us about the decision and said , if we could step up to the plate, he would fight to keep from having any layoffs in our terminal. Well needless to say no one got laid off and the cartage agent we used to use, went out of business, because we got'r done.

well i seem to think there is a problem but im not convinced that my terminal is the problem. we handle tons of frt. and we do have the men to move it. hiring men has never been a problem because almost all them make the list so therefore the turnover rate is low. we had a meeting about 6 months ago where the TM was addressing us. he was applauding the way we were getting things done but as always said there was room for improvement. anyway, i got up and told him that our terminal wasn't the problem and i questioned him on whether or not our system is the problem. 3 major problems stick out. for example :

-out of Yellow, Rdwy, & ABF, we're the only ones without a L.I. term. and we get a sh*tload of frt. for that area. would a small barn out there hurt us financially ?

-in the summertime especially, we get roadmen arriving late everyday and we all know it aint their fault for getting dispatched late. there hasn't been a summer that has gone by with at least 10-15 p&d guys waiting for their loads. why hasn't this changed ?

-what's with some these low-ballin shippers demanding that we del. & p/u their frt. for dirt cheap ? lift-gate del : no charge, inside delivery : no charge. and im talking about the ones that we have been dealing with for over a year. im not in sales but c'mon man !!

as you could imagine, i didn't get a clear-cut answer. by the way, our BA informed our steward that the change will go down as planned. it just a matter of time.

well i seem to think there is a problem but im not convinced that my terminal is the problem. we handle tons of frt. and we do have the men to move it. hiring men has never been a problem because almost all them make the list so therefore the turnover rate is low. we had a meeting about 6 months ago where the TM was addressing us. he was applauding the way we were getting things done but as always said there was room for improvement. anyway, i got up and told him that our terminal wasn't the problem and i questioned him on whether or not our system is the problem. 3 major problems stick out. for example :

-out of Yellow, Rdwy, & ABF, we're the only ones without a L.I. term. and we get a sh*tload of frt. for that area. would a small barn out there hurt us financially ?
Hell, they won't even open a small terminal in Maine .... less costs, no overhead, no management .... it's all about the money.
-in the summertime especially, we get roadmen arriving late everyday and we all know it aint their fault for getting dispatched late. there hasn't been a summer that has gone by with at least 10-15 p&d guys waiting for their loads. why hasn't this changed ?
Can't move the freight until it's loaded and dispatched. We ( road men ) complain all the time about getting into the city late ... it costs us time ( and money sitting in traffic ) but New Penn has the freight moved and they expect the destination terminal to deal with delivering it.
-what's with some these low-ballin shippers demanding that we del. & p/u their frt. for dirt cheap ? lift-gate del : no charge, inside delivery : no charge. and im talking about the ones that we have been dealing with for over a year. im not in sales but c'mon man !!
It's a cut throat business, and New Penn will now take freight they wouldn't have touched years ago. We have many competitiors, all willing to service the customer cheaper then us ... if we want to survive we must fight and do the crap the account managers promise the shippers. Not saying it's right, but if we don't take the freight, and service the customers, our competitors will.
as you could imagine, i didn't get a clear-cut answer. by the way, our BA informed our steward that the change will go down as planned. it just a matter of time.

I wouldn't have expected any different. Change ... sometimes for the sake of change ... is the only way management can show they are performing their jobs. Doesn't mean it's right, or the best way, just managements way.

yeah FLSTC 2000, i know what you mean when it comes this industry and it's cut-throat ways. i can agree somewhat with NP competing against these suck-a*s non-union co.'s pricing frt. dirt cheap but all the other stuff is mind-boggling to me. not to mention runnin the Bronx outta of S.Kearny :thumbsdown:

i got this explanation , for apart of whats happening there. take presidents day holiday, you put out some where around 36 men in the street, and a great majority of it came back because bussiness' where closed. but you still kept getting freight in 200-300 bills aday, and because of this, took weeks to get all that freight cleaned out and you caught up .mean while regular customers sufered.and i expect p/u's did also. also, didnt mean to say or sound like i said maspeth men couldnt' handel the work. that kinda came out wrong, but i know they can't handel the cold!! dont think you ever see another terminal in the cityor on the island to eleviate freight levels. npme never had a problem running city guys big miles to get freight del, and p/ued.

i got this explanation , for apart of whats happening there. take presidents day holiday, you put out some where around 36 men in the street, and a great majority of it came back because bussiness' where closed. but you still kept getting freight in 200-300 bills aday, and because of this, took weeks to get all that freight cleaned out and you caught up .mean while regular customers sufered.and i expect p/u's did also. also, didnt mean to say or sound like i said maspeth men couldnt' handel the work. that kinda came out wrong, but i know they can't handel the cold!! dont think you ever see another terminal in the cityor on the island to eleviate freight levels. npme never had a problem running city guys big miles to get freight del, and p/ued.

yeah, that holiday was a total disaster. that i put squarely on the TM and his boss Bob N. that was their call 100%. considering a terminal on the Island isn't such a bad idea in my opinion but you may be right when it comes to them never opening one out there. and it isn't the cold some of these guys can't handle, it's their **** poor attitude. some of these guys, not the majority, aren't worth a damn ! for example, the minute their taken off "their route", they throw the biggest sissy fit and therefore they put in less effort. you shouldn't really give a damn where they send you as long as your check is there on Thursday, why should you give a f ??? to me we got a very easy job.

our BA came to pay us a visit last week to discuss the COO. seems to be NP will be seeking the change to be complete by May. S. Kearny wants 6 trailer men as well. some guys raised concerns over possible layoffs due to the loss of work. 2 dockmen are already on layoff with another 2 or 3 to be added. anyway, our BA informed us that he doesn't envision any layoffs coming at all. he used the example of the last COO when all of the Weschester & Yonkers work was sent to Newburgh. he said since that change, we have added 30 to the list. he was correct. he felt confident that managements plan to "grow" the terminal is a pretty good one. we shall see.

Is New Penn doing all of Holland's work in NYC & LI?. I was surprised to hear from a Holland Philly driver that Volpe was still doing some of Holland's P&D work in Jersey....In areas that New Penn services

Is New Penn doing all of Holland's work in NYC & LI?. I was surprised to hear from a Holland Philly driver that Volpe was still doing some of Holland's P&D work in Jersey....In areas that New Penn services

yes sir. that frt. is almost never given away to cartage. not even the Manhattan frt. what exactly is Volpe's function ? LTL ?

Volpe

yes sir. that frt. is almost never given away to cartage. not even the Manhattan frt. what exactly is Volpe's function ? LTL ?

I can't tell you exactly what Volpe's function is... But I know that at one time they were doing a lot of Holland's N.J. P&D.

The Holland driver told me that Volpe (a small union carrier) still does some LTL interline work for Holland in N.J.