New Penn | Cops arrest driver

UnionTrucka

TB Regular
Credits
I need some info. this morning the NYPD came to our tm. and arrested a driver under investigation for possible theft. the co. believes he stole 50G worth of frt. it was 6 boxes of mens suits. from what i got so far if this is presented to a prosecutor and he/she determines that there is enough evidence to prosecute, ( which is highly unlikely ) the driver automatically loses his job. is this right ?

Our B.A. was called to the tm. and was there within minutes but my load was ready so i had to roll. this investigation is about a month old and from what i got, the only evidence NP has is that the frt. was recorded being loaded onto his truck. aren't they supposed to catch you red-handed ?

In the freight business, you never know what evidence they have. It has been known in the past that any company can "plant" freight, record it and then monitor what happens during that particular run with the driver.
I would say that if the NYPD came and arrested the guy, his goose is cooked !
I quess for some just doing an honest job in return for your pay isn't enough.

Didn't we get language in the last contract that gave us "innocent until proven guilty"?

My copy of the contract is in my truck so I can't look it up

CFer said:
Didn't we get language in the last contract that gave us "innocent until proven guilty"?

I can't say for sure either, but this was the NYPD that confronted and arrested the guy. Without solid evidence from either the company or from a direct police source, they could not have arrested him.
It would be different if New Penn had confronted him ...

flstc2000 said:
I can't say for sure either, but this was the NYPD that confronted and arrested the guy. Without solid evidence from either the company or from a direct police source, they could not have arrested him.
It would be different if New Penn had confronted him ...

You're right flstc2000. I had a brain fart:duh:

I think that New Penn probably knew about the pending arrest. They'll probably fire him next and go through the grievance process to try to make it stick.

He can be fired immediately however the company must retain his name on the list. If for some reason he beats the rap he would be entitled to back pay. I've seen men fired for the theft of the stupidest little things that could be imagined. It aint worth a million bucks to go to jail.Lets hope he's innocent!

thanks for all your info brothers. here's the deal : the guy is off the hook. he was put thru the entire process, fingerprinting, photoed, and one phone call. when he was taken to the courthouse the D.A. refused to press charges because of, surprise-surprise, lack of evidence. i saw him in the yard when i was coming in and he was going home. what happens from here ? can he sue NP ? the tm was fine but VP Bob looked psst. off. it's 8pm and he's still in the yard. i'll have more info in the coming days. so like i said, what's next ?

yo....

why would nypd be called on an investigation????

i always thought that all interstate theft cases were handled by the fbi and if the commodity was taxable by the atf too????

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Did you hear about the theft at ABF in Indianapolis over 4th of July? They were shut down for three days, opened it up and 180 9MM Beretta hand guns were stolen from a locked trailer, which is my understanding was backed up to the dock. $60,000 claim. ABF is offering a $5000 award for info. Gang bangers in Indy now have a bunch of new weapons. Sounds like an inside job to me......

Hockey Puck said:
Did you hear about the theft at ABF in Indianapolis over 4th of July? They were shut down for three days, opened it up and 180 9MM Beretta hand guns were stolen from a locked trailer, which is my understanding was backed up to the dock. $60,000 claim. ABF is offering a $5000 award for info. Gang bangers in Indy now have a bunch of new weapons. Sounds like an inside job to me......

damn, 3 days !!! that's terrible. never mind the theft. they lost tons of dough being shut down. i gotta agree with your theory about it being an inside job.

MIKEEEEE said:
yo....

why would nypd be called on an investigation????

i always thought that all interstate theft cases were handled by the fbi and if the commodity was taxable by the atf too????

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

that's what alot of guys are asking. this aint over.

Kennesaw Kid said:
MANY shippers are now using "SpyChips"...(RFID) technoligies when shipping their freight....only an idiot would take the chance these days!......KK

http://www.spychips.com/

KK, I read an article on RFID a few weeks and it's just amazing what these things can do.

Here are some examples I found interesting that relate to the consumer level.

Within a few years, microwave dinners will have these tags and microwave ovens will be able to read the tag and automatically cook the meal for the right amount of time. Washing machines will also be able to read RFID tags in clothes and set the washer to clean on the proper cycle and water temperature.

I stayed at a family oriented hotel a few weeks ago and we had to wear wristbands. They acted not only as door keys but we were able to charge anything bought in the hotel right to our room account.

I know this is a little off subject but I just wanted everyone to know what type of things to expect in the future from RFID tags

CFer said:

I believe we gave that up last contract. It used to be innocent until proven guilty, but now you are fired and on the street and have to prove your innocent before the committee.

Union Trucka -

I think you misunderstood me. The 3 days ABF was closed was a planned shutdown for the 4th of July holiday period. They locked the whole terminal down at 11:30 pm on Saturday, July 1st, at 11:30 pm. When they showed up at 5:00 pm on Tuesday, July 4th to crank her up for the rest of the week, that's when they discovered the theft.

Hockey Puck said:
Union Trucka -

I think you misunderstood me. The 3 days ABF was closed was a planned shutdown for the 4th of July holiday period. They locked the whole terminal down at 11:30 pm on Saturday, July 1st, at 11:30 pm. When they showed up at 5:00 pm on Tuesday, July 4th to crank her up for the rest of the week, that's when they discovered the theft.

yeah, my bad. you're right.

CFer said:
KK, I read an article on RFID a few weeks and it's just amazing what these things can do.

Here are some examples I found interesting that relate to the consumer level.

Within a few years, microwave dinners will have these tags and microwave ovens will be able to read the tag and automatically cook the meal for the right amount of time. Washing machines will also be able to read RFID tags in clothes and set the washer to clean on the proper cycle and water temperature.

I stayed at a family oriented hotel a few weeks ago and we had to wear wristbands. They acted not only as door keys but we were able to charge anything bought in the hotel right to our room account.

I know this is a little off subject but I just wanted everyone to know what type of things to expect in the future from RFID tags
Can you say .... Big Brother is Watching You !
As society moves forward, so does technology and the chance that our freedoms will disappear.
I don't like the idea but I to have succumbed to big brother .... my cell phone provides a link to my everyday location.

Familyman said:
Only an idiot would do it in the first place....:duh: :biglaugh:

FM

absolutely but unfortunately we all work with guys like that. im just glad all charges were dropped. now the co. & the police who were conducting the investigation all have egg on their faces. what can the driver do, for lack of a better word, to payback the co. that humiliated him ? wrongful arrest, defamation of character, etc. is there anyone in here with any legal knowledge of what options this guy has ? this was just plain wrong.