FedEx Freight | CORPORATE communication FEEDBACK

But professor ST, your lesson is deeply flawed. Take a short walk with me, and I'll try to help you to see.

1st When I was hired, I was told to expect MORE than 40 hrs/week. They obviously couldn't guarantee, but the assurance was given that MOST of the time I'd likely get more. And since that has, in fact, held true for over 20 yrs, I'm fairly certain that I am not am isolated case. Other than those vacation checks, I've had less than a dozen 40 hour weeks in all those years. Maybe only 1/2 dozen...

Now lets talk about this road expectation. Just so you know, I've done that too. Your MYTH "sounds" plausible on the surface, until we look a little closer. I know of no LTL road driver told to expect to work 70 hrs/wk. Certainly not at AF or FedEx Freight.

Up until 2003, the legal limit was 70 hours in EIGHT (8) days, not per week. Only with the advent of the 34 hour restart provision, is that even possible. Might it happen, where a person runs the max 14/day for 5 days working 70 hours? It might happen on occasion. Also, Weekends? Nonsense. That would be optional. Holidays too? I've never seen that be mandatory...

Again, the NORMAL/AVERAGE (LTL) road driver does NOT work 70 hrs/wk, day AND night, AND weekends AND holidays. Your mythical road driver does not exist. He is the stuff of legends. A myth. Even if he did exist, that would not justify having a lesser benefit for city drivers. City drivers occasionally do 14 hour days too. Did you know that?

The annual method for figuring vacation benefits takes into account all extremes in work schedules, from the easiest to the most grueling. It is the Far Superior Method. FACT.
Don't confuse ST with facts, they put his name on his truck because he kept taking the wrong truck. Don't get me started on why he has his name on his belt!

How bout this. As an hourly employee anything after 8 hours is 1 1/2 times you regular pay. You are already getting compensated for the extra hours. So paying vacation for a 40 hour week seems to make sense. But I do think city should be paid vacation on total hours worked or give you 9 hours per vacation day.

Your driver/dock guys is a tough call. You have to classify them as line because that's their main duty but they don't get near the miles. This is a good debate.

How bout this. As an hourly employee anything after 8 hours is 1 1/2 times you regular pay. You are already getting compensated for the extra hours. So paying vacation for a 40 hour week seems to make sense. But I do think city should be paid vacation on total hours worked or give you 9 hours per vacation day.

Your driver/dock guys is a tough call. You have to classify them as line because that's their main duty but they don't get near the miles. This is a good debate.
Why don't they just pay you 1/52 of your last years gross!

Actually, in my barn 3 of our 10 drivers work weekends by bid. We also work close to 70 hours a week. There are lots of folks in southern California who work these schedules. Tucson 3/2 layovers for starters. Just because your barn is Monday through friday, doesn't mean they all are.
Secondly, very few city drivers in my barn get any overtime. They work 40 and go home.

If the city guys at my yard went home after 40 hours a week the place would look like a ghost town by Friday at noon.
I've been here 22 years, and can count on one hand how many 40 hour weeks there have been.

The time and a half factor might seem reasonable but it's just a matter of pay structure. Road, in effect pays an amount equal to overtime, but they call it mileage. If you do the math, mileage pay is nearly identical to overtime pay, if you figure an average of 60 MPH times whatever your per mile rate is. This is how road driver pay always surpasses city pay, for runs requiring similar (average) time to a city drivers.

But the above applies to wages. We're talking about a benefit. The only benefit that is not consistent for all drivers. A benefit that is most fair for some, less fair for others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ump
If we really want to be "fair" it should be:

(1) calculated from seniority date to seniority date for all employees.
(2) total wages including all overtime, but excluding all types of paid time off (holiday, sick days, vacation) as you were already compensated for that time even though you didn't work.
(3) divide figure two by 52 to arrive at your average weekly wage.

That works the same across all job descriptions and is the "most fair".

The folks who take 10 sick days and 4 weeks vacation, only really worked 46 weeks minus holidays. The folks who don't take any sick days and get 1 week of vacation actually work 51 weeks minus holidays. Further rewarding folks who don't take as many sick days.

---or---

Abolish all PTO (sick days, holiday and vacation) and just give everybody a 10% raise.

If we really want to be "fair" it should be:

(1) calculated from seniority date to seniority date for all employees.
(2) total wages including all overtime, but excluding all types of paid time off (holiday, sick days, vacation) as you were already compensated for that time even though you didn't work.
(3) divide figure two by 52 to arrive at your average weekly wage.

That works the same across all job descriptions and is the "most fair".

The folks who take 10 sick days and 4 weeks vacation, only really worked 46 weeks minus holidays. The folks who don't take any sick days and get 1 week of vacation actually work 51 weeks minus holidays. Further rewarding folks who don't take as many sick days.

---or---

Abolish all PTO (sick days, holiday and vacation) and just give everybody a 10% raise.
Hmmm... Kinda complicated, Ex.

1) Reasonable and how it's done now (by hire date). Although hours are added to balance as accrued, per month.

2) Interesting, but... Not sure it's reasonable to calculate based on one's actual use (or lack thereof). of the very benefit in question (vacation). Excluding holiday pay would be kind of a wash as all employees have the same holidays off, plus it's generally not an option as to whether one works or not. Use of sick/personal days? That could/would be reasonable to factor into the calculation. No problem there, except it would be such a small piece of the puzzle, as to be negligible.

*Abolishing all PTO in exchange for 10% raise? Not really a raise (I know, that is your point), and would discourage life outside of "the office". Can't say it would not be "fair", but unwise? Certainly.

Of course it's complicated to administer....that's just another reason why it is easier to just grant vacation pay based on a 40 hour work week.

I was excluding all that PTO from the calculations as to reward vacation pay at the rate commensurate to hours worked. Includes all the OT but excludes all the vacation/sick/holiday pay.

I don't believe a 10% raise discourages life outside of the office for those who are disciplined. A family friend is in the Plumbers and Steamfitters' Union, another is in the Operators' Union, they both receive a check on their seniority date for all vacation accrued the prior year. When they take off for "vacation" they don't get paid. It's essentially the same----you must be disciplined and budget accordingly.

Of course it's complicated to administer....that's just another reason why it is easier to just grant vacation pay based on a 40 hour work week.

I was excluding all that PTO from the calculations as to reward vacation pay at the rate commensurate to hours worked. Includes all the OT but excludes all the vacation/sick/holiday pay.

I don't believe a 10% raise discourages life outside of the office for those who are disciplined. A family friend is in the Plumbers and Steamfitters' Union, another is in the Operators' Union, they both receive a check on their seniority date for all vacation accrued the prior year. When they take off for "vacation" they don't get paid. It's essentially the same----you must be disciplined and budget accordingly.

Isn't the simple "percentage of annual" method easy to administer, as well? We already do that for some drivers. Consistency of driver benefits seems like a valid objective and/or policy. :idunno:

I would have no problem with the payout method you mention, but I think many would choose to skip vacation time, if they'd already cashed that check. We do have a process of "selling" vacation weeks (pay in lieu of time off), but I think there is a limit... Not positive on the limit (2 weeks, maybe?).

I know they will cut you a check for anything over 200 hours on your anniversary date. But I think the 2 week limit has been adjusted. I know I sold back 2 weeks last year and they cut me a check for about 13 hours over the limit. We will have to inquire about the policy to be sure.

Isn't the simple "percentage of annual" method easy to administer, as well? We already do that for some drivers. Consistency of driver benefits seems like a valid objective and/or policy. :idunno:

Certainly it is simple to administer. I thought we were seeking something both SIMPLE and FAIR.

SwampRatt said:
I would have no problem with the payout method you mention, but I think many would choose to skip vacation time, if they'd already cashed that check.

Shouldn't that be their choice?

Not so sure that factoring in whether one used their vacation benefit or not is any more fair than simply the percentage of annual. One could, in effect, manipulate the numbers by forgoing any vacation one year, then taking all of it the next. Repeat...

Yes, the choice (cash vs time off) is/should be, up to the individual, even if unwise.

The latest video has some good:

Freight numbers up another 6%, margins up another 2.2%

We spoke they listened: New uniform shirts. They cost $5 more per unit, Your fund will increase 11% to offset that higher cost.

New: "Your Opinion Matters" program providing center specific opportunity for feedback.

Some 56 centers will receive a long overdue geographic pay differential increase. THIS is a very good thing.

The big problem: after the video, we were informed that in depth analysis was COMPLETED on the topic
our center would not qualify.

While I understand that all cannot qualify, I know from research on the topic that many (including mine) SHOULD have qualified..

We can talk more about it in the following thread

http://www.truckingboards.com/bb/threads/our-deeply-flawed-pay-scales-gpd.66906/

Late update on the May Vid. Sorry. We must presume everyone had a chance to see it.

The positive theme of making FedEx Freight the "best" place to work, as well as market leader continues. Good stuff and seems to reflect Mr Duckers good intentions. We also Met John. Smith, New Sr, VP. Seems to be a straight forward, good guy, with Watkins roots.

Attendance policy: No more points, details to follow, as well as a list of exceptions... Sorry, I'm a little vague on recalling the specifics.

Coming in June City AND Road driver added to the Safety Review Committee.

Also mentioned: All FedEx opp-cos made the Forbes top 500 Best Employers, With FedEx Freight leading the pack.

Here is that list: http://www.forbes.com/best-employers/list/

We fall in at #169, for the curious...

He closed with special thanks to Chicago Heights for turning away the attempt at representation...

Feel free to comment on any of the above.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update SwampRatt. Good to hear that it appears things are moving in a positive direction.

I know it's just one subset of the population that helps compile that Forbes list. They look at a lot of metrics beyond just hourly rate and benefit package. FedEx, OD and Con-Way all ranked higher than UPS. No shocker to me. ;) I am (have been) telling y'all you don't know how good you have it. I have also mentioned those 3 as being much better environments than most. Of course many on the pro-side have just dismissed those opinions as being so heavily biased as they can't possibly be true. I'm telling you I am at many different centers for many carriers as part of my job. ABF and YRC are bottom of the barrel. UPS isn't bad, but is the exception.

If you can get 90% of all the benefits of unionization without 90% of the bs that comes along with it you win big time! You are just about there in my book!

Thanks for the update SwampRatt. Good to hear that it appears things are moving in a positive direction.

I know it's just one subset of the population that helps compile that Forbes list. They look at a lot of metrics beyond just hourly rate and benefit package. FedEx, OD and Con-Way all ranked higher than UPS. No shocker to me. ;) I am (have been) telling y'all you don't know how good you have it. I have also mentioned those 3 as being much better environments than most. Of course many on the pro-side have just dismissed those opinions as being so heavily biased as they can't possibly be true. I'm telling you I am at many different centers for many carriers as part of my job. ABF and YRC are bottom of the barrel. UPS isn't bad, but is the exception.

If you can get 90% of all the benefits of unionization without 90% of the bs that comes along with it you win big time! You are just about there in my book!

Please explain how you know what the environment is at any center do you interact with the drivers?