FedEx Freight | CORPORATE communication FEEDBACK

You run the city, why are you using your personal cell phone anyways?? Use the customer's phones, use the phone at the convenience store when you stop to grab a snack, etc..., you have other options.
Using your personal cell phone for company business....wouldn't that put you in the same category as those who "cut corners" in the name of efficiency??
Customers do not want drivers using their phones. I know its hard to believe, but we are not the only truck line out there. When is the last time you saw a pay phone at a convenience store? All the cell phones made pay phones obsolete.

No, you just don't realize how easy cell phones/technology has made your job....and you still want to bitch about it.
I always called my residentials BEFORE I left the center to insure someone would be there for delivery, otherwise I'd take it off the truck to save myself a return and them the re-delivery fee!! If the center needed me, they'd get me when I called in at my next stop...simple. If we needed dispatch and wasn't near a phone, we either waited, we hiked on foot to a pay phone, or we relied on the assistance from passing motorist!!
You have no clue as to how easy you have it...yet you still want to complain.

Do you actually think i can't remember when we didn't have cell phones??? No i don't think you realize on how this company takes advantage of everyone having their own cell phone. Like i said in previous post if all our city drivers left their cell phone at home for day it would cause chaos. All the things you speak about are situations without a phone the company knows we have them so it's assumed we will use them for company use. We don't need to pawn our responsibilites off on other people who don't owe us anything.

Truth is, we don't EVER HAVE TO use our personal cell phone. We CAN send dispatch a message on the intermec, telling them it's time to give the customer 30 min notice, ask for directions, etc. Also true, the company benefits from our willingness to use our own phone, GSP, etc. Personally, I no longer call residential customers, mainly because on more than one occasion I've gotten a call later on from a suspicious husband or wife wondering who this number is from. Dispatch can do the residential notifying... The intermec is the official means of driver communication. Phone calls are the "exception", for o s &d calls etc. Even then, personal cell use is optional.

Truth is, we don't EVER HAVE TO use our personal cell phone. We CAN send dispatch a message on the intermec, telling them it's time to give the customer 30 min notice, ask for directions, etc. Also true, the company benefits from our willingness to use our own phone, GSP, etc. Personally, I no longer call residential customers, mainly because on more than one occasion I've gotten a call later on from a suspicious husband or wife wondering who this number is from. Dispatch can do the residential notifying... The intermec is the official means of driver communication. Phone calls are the "exception", for o s &d calls etc. Even then, personal cell use is optional.

This true if they actually used the intermec like they should. We had a driver break-down on WV turnpike right in middle where there is no cell phone service, he sent several messages on intermec with no response, he would have sit there all day long if one of our other city drivers didn't stop and got him help.

You guys at FedEx have some out dated phone plans. I thought everyone was on unlimited text and talk and just paid for data by now. Don't you still get the 22% discount from Verizon? Even us poor OD drivers get 17%. Must customers where more then happy to let me use there phone when I peddled for the purple promise. If one didn't, the next one would. Some routes harder then others but for the most part if you treated them with some respect, got to the freight before they did and started a friendly conversation they wouldn't mind helping you get your job done.

....use someone else's phone? Perhaps a land line?
I didn't come up with that "crap", Swamp did.
Almost anybody can run the city, it's not that hard.
1) CT makes a good point. Even though we don't have to use our personal cell phone, the EXPECTATION is that we should. That makes some allowance, at least worthy of discussion. It does benefit the operation in many ways.

2. How do you figure I started any of this "crap"?

3. Anyone can run in the city? Efficiently? Properly? Safely?

Red, it seems that it's been a long weekend for you. You've struggled with accuracy all weekend. Is there anything we can do to help?

I think this whole cell phone thing is over your head a little. We have to call our residential customers all the time to let them know we are on the way or set up a meet point. What about when your center calls you as stated before. Your city days are from a different era you have no clue from your statements on what im talking about. There are plenty of times when your not at a customers when you need to call dispach or make a work related call.

Funny you should mention the call ahead. FedEx charges extra for that too, it's called a notification charge. Estes actually does give an allowance for mobile phones. If I'm not mistaken it's $30 monthly.

Last edited:
Swamp is exactly right. Our phones have turned into an expectation. Dispatch calls first and messages second these days. It's used as a communication tool for them. They'll actually become frustrated when you don't answer.

1) CT makes a good point. Even though we don't have to use our personal cell phone, the EXPECTATION is that we should. That makes some allowance, at least worthy of discussion. It does benefit the operation in many ways.

2. How do you figure I started any of this "crap"?

3. Anyone can run in the city? Efficiently? Properly? Safely?

Red, it seems that it's been a long weekend for you. You've struggled with accuracy all weekend. Is there anything we can do to help?

1) CT has NEVER made a good point!! :grin: You don't have to use your cell phone...period...it's your choice, you choose to in the name of "efficiency"....which takes us to our next point....

2) You should've read the entire conversation before asking, then maybe you would've have had to ask...and BTW, CT referred to your topic as "crap", I just applied it to this situation.

3) Efficiently, properly, safely....some better than others at one or more of those qualities but yes, anyone.

Swamp, I've had a great weekend, thx for asking. No help needed for me, perhaps you need some help keeping up?[/U]

Swamp is exactly right. Our phones have turned into an expectation. Dispatch calls first and messages second these days. It's used as a communication tool for them. They'll actually become frustrated when you don't answer.
Welcome back....
There's no policy saying we must use our personal phones so there's nothing they can do if we don't answer.....but get frustrated.
Oh well!!

1) CT has NEVER made a good point!! :grin: You don't have to use your cell phone...period...it's your choice, you choose to in the name of "efficiency"....which takes us to our next point....

2) You should've read the entire conversation before asking, then maybe you would've have had to ask...and BTW, CT referred to your topic as "crap", I just applied it to this situation.

3) Efficiently, properly, safely....some better than others at one or more of those qualities but yes, anyone.

Swamp, I've had a great weekend, thx for asking. No help needed for me, perhaps you need some help keeping up?
1) You may not find it to be good, but it is certainly valid.

2) If you were on your toes and paying attention, you'd have noticed that I only got involved in this to point out that only the business expense above and beyond 2% of your gross earnings is deductible. Not crap, but rather FACT. You were going to have the man thinking he could start writing off his cell phone bill. Not good.

3)Certainly not, just anyone. This makes my case that something is not quite right with Redracer :scratchhead:. You are stating things that you know are provably wrong. I'm worried about you and want to help you get to the bottom of it :concern:. In fact, I'm always available for counsel, Red. Just ask, I'm a great adviser. REALLY...

Saia has a better intermec then we do they take pictures of damages and call in exceptions on they're intermec. And I don't think they're a billion dollar company.

Swamp, I've had a great weekend, thx for asking. No help needed for me, perhaps you need some help keeping up?[/U]

1 Your about as bright as a cloudy day, I told you not to ruin this thread with your normal crap and you did.
2 There are plenty of times we have to use our cell phones whether you are smart enough to recognize it is another issue. Oh wait were supposed to pawn all our call's off on people that owe us nothing. Hell you thought we could right it off on taxes shows how much you know.

1) You may not find it to be good, but it is certainly valid.

2) If you were on your toes and paying attention, you'd have noticed that I only got involved in this to point out that only the business expense above and beyond 2% of your gross earnings is deductible. Not crap, but rather FACT. You were going to have the man thinking he could start writing off his cell phone bill. Not good.

3)Certainly not, just anyone. This makes my case that something is not quite right with Redracer :scratchhead:. You are stating things that you know are provably wrong. I'm worried about you and want to help you get to the bottom of it :concern:. In fact, I'm always available for counsel, Red. Just ask, I'm a great adviser. REALLY...
1) Very rarely does he make a valid point...and this one isn't a good one either. You don't have to use your personal phone...period. Leave it at home one day and I'm quite certain you'll still make it through the day...I promise ya!!

2) Again, had you paid attention to the whole conversation, you'd know the "crap" he was referring to had nothing to do with my comments about a tax write off but rather a topic you raised that I interjected into our discussion.

2a) The last time I ran the city you could write it off on your taxes, according to my CPA anyways, but that was many moons ago.

3) Without playing semantics, anyone "with the proper credentials" can run the city, it's not that hard...explains why they take guys right off the dock, help them get the proper credentials, and away they go...no experience needed!!

No need for counseling, heck, I might have you on my side before we're done!!

Here we go city peasant's asking for more things.
Climb up in the captains chair, come wild the wild side. What you scared of the dark?

This I why I've never given them my number. Dispatcher wanted all our numbers, I just told him no. Funny but I did get a call from Ducker ( though I was driving and couldn't answer ) to congratulate on yrs. of service. Wondered how he got the number, turns out he called the house, chatted with the wife and she gave it to him. She thought I was going to be pissed at her. :biggrin:

1) Very rarely does he make a valid point...and this one isn't a good one either. You don't have to use your personal phone...period. Leave it at home one day and I'm quite certain you'll still make it through the day...I promise ya!!

2) Again, had you paid attention to the whole conversation, you'd know the "crap" he was referring to had nothing to do with my comments about a tax write off but rather a topic you raised that I interjected into our discussion.

2a) The last time I ran the city you could write it off on your taxes, according to my CPA anyways, but that was many moons ago.

3) Without playing semantics, anyone "with the proper credentials" can run the city, it's not that hard...explains why they take guys right off the dock, help them get the proper credentials, and away they go...no experience needed!!

No need for counseling, heck, I might have you on my side before we're done!!

What I was talking about is your normal crap thinking you know everything but just like always you know alot about nothing, doesn't have anything to do with swamp sheesh you like to pawn things off on other people alot. It's a shame we can't have serious thread without some know it all spouting off gibberish they know nothing about.

What I was talking about is your normal crap thinking you know everything but just like always you know alot about nothing, doesn't have anything to do with swamp sheesh you like to pawn things off on other people alot. It's a shame we can't have serious thread without some know it all spouting off gibberish they know nothing about.
Wrong answer....again!! Go back and re-read post 109 & 110, you were referring to my use of Swamp's topic of you "cutting corners in the name of efficiency" when you called it "crap"!!!
Never mind, I'll re-post it so you won't have to...
You run the city, why are you using your personal cell phone anyways?? Use the customer's phones, use the phone at the convenience store when you stop to grab a snack, etc..., you have other options.
Using your personal cell phone for company business....wouldn't that put you in the same category as those who "cut corners" in the name of efficiency??
I see you still live in a dream world where every where has cell phone service. So now it's pawn our call's off on customers instead of the government. lol Cut corners where do you come up with this crap? You wouldn't make it 2 days running the city up here go back to sleep driver.
It's a shame you spout SO MUCH GIBBERISH that you can't even remember what you say!!!

Last edited:
Wrong answer....again!! Go back and re-read post 109 & 110, you were referring to my use of Swamp's topic of you "cutting corners in the name of efficiency" when you called it "crap"!!!
Never mind, I'll re-post it so you won't have to...

It's a shame you spout SO MUCH GIBBERISH that you can't even remember what you say!!!

More crap from you with no substance. It's a shame you have ruined another thread with your normal :shhit:.