Couple claims Rigs draft caused them to crash.

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
Tractor-Trailer's Draft Leads To Wreck - Winston-Salem News Story - WXII Winston-Salem

This story is a little hard to believe?
May be they haven't been hauling their camper long enough to be used to other drivers driving around them on the highway?

I saw an older retired couple rollovoer their fith wheel camper,and pickup truck just like this.

They had just gotten their big maxed out camping trailer and pick up set-up looking to travel around the country.

Just outside of town on our expressway they got off the road a bit to far,and over they went.

just because you have the money to by a nice set up,it dosen't mean you are just going to be able to turn the key,and go.

You really need to learn how to drive it first.

at first glance, you will see that the license plates are from Georgia, yet the couple are from Florida?? maybe its a rental truck, or a borrowed truck.

it looks like a 2 wheel drive, as the tires/wheels are not deep lugged.

then the trailer is (or was) attached via a class 3 reciever hitch. the maximum towing capacity i found was to be 10,500 pounds. so that should have been no problem for the trailer they had.

i think the driver got scared, maybe a truck driver WAS a bit too close, and the pick-up driver panicked a bit as well...??

Long heavy bumper pull camper + inexperienced driver = :TR10driving03:
Story amounts to.....:horse:
Learn how to drive or stay on the porch.

Wanna Bee RV drivers/towers make me nuts. I've had one RUN ME OFF THE ROAD ONTO THE SHOULDER, with an Ohio State Trooper 3 car lengths behind watching it happen. He never did a thing. Not that its the ONLY time, I've had one run me onto the shoulder.

Back when they came up with the new driving regs. the RV industry pumped a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$ in the politicians pockets.

They wanted to have RV'ers have a special lic. to drive their big rigs down the road.

Clearly the $$$$$$$$$$ won.:butt kiss:

Well I sort of have a different perspective on this than some , since I drive a truck AND am an avid camper. Not that I think that the tractor trailer is in any way at fault , I wouldn't say that unless they were pushed over or sideswiped. But, that is definitely NOT the case here.
After towing a camper across the country for the last 15 years , I still give 18 wheelers all the right of way that I can ----until you've driven a camper , trust me you will be surprised by how much wind deflection you feel when towing. I try to keep a watch on upcoming tractor -trailers and slightly move over in my lane to the right this really diminishes the effect of the wind shear. Also , alot of campers do not do the proper PRE TRIP preparations before rolling . I don't know how many times I see other campers who don't properly adjust their sway bars & set their weight distributing hitches correctly.

SADLY most camper drivers DO NOT have enough training or the principles and discipline to perform the necessary safety checks NOR have they ever driven anything this big UNTIL they retire . So truthfully how are they prepared to "instantly " understand everything about longer vehicles . I think everyone who tows campers would benefit from RV driving/ towing training.

Thanks for your slant on this issue Lyv Wire.
I guess if you haven't towed a long camping trailer you can't really relate to this crash.

So thanks for your opinion it does change the way we are seeing this issue.
But I'm sure we still all agree that the drivers that tow these campers should have some training before they hit the open road.

Oh yes I definitely agree with you !
The Good Sam Club (probably the leading camper club association) is now promoting several RV driving schools and they even have and offer evaluations for older drivers to make sure their abilities are up to the challenge of driving those campers.