XPO | Are There Any Drivers That Are Walk-abouts?

icuicp

TB Veteran
Credits
Terminal up the road is strapped for drivers. Shipping them in , putting them in hotels , offering a $4500 bonus to hire on...

Just curious what the lifestyle is like: Lots of overtime? Good hotels? Do you pick your start time? ( linehaul or city ) How about getting a good tractor? Where do you fall as far as service rank ( seniority )?

We used to help out a nearby terminal. They would treat you like a first day hire. Last one called in. Worst truck. Worst route. Was always bottom man that was sent. Only good thing was that they did put them up in a hotel and they got an allowance for food.

We used to help out a nearby terminal. They would treat you like a first day hire. Last one called in. Worst truck. Worst route. Was always bottom man that was sent. Only good thing was that they did put them up in a hotel and they got an allowance for food.
One of our guys do it occasionally . Some terminals he gets 7-8 hours , others 10 plus but always the worst tractor . Hotels are pretty good .

Terminal up the road is strapped for drivers. Shipping them in , putting them in hotels , offering a $4500 bonus to hire on...

Just curious what the lifestyle is like: Lots of overtime? Good hotels? Do you pick your start time? ( linehaul or city ) How about getting a good tractor? Where do you fall as far as service rank ( seniority )?
Some. No . wherever your needed. What’s available. Bottom

Bottom bin, worst tractor, play clean up. All expense paid, per diem for grub, but at least you don't sit three or four days out the week and not be able to draw unemployment. The money is green, mouths get fed, bills get paid.

Last edited:
Bottom bin, worst tractor, play clean up. All expense paid, per diem for grub, but at least you don't sit three or four days out the week and not be able to draw unemployment. The money is green, mouths get fed.
I can certainly understand that for sure.
I hope that I am not in a situation where I would have to endure that . To many jobs out there to put up with much.

Sounds like "bottom guy/gal" type of situations.

They can't force you to go but your choices are limited in a lot of cases?
Our TM told our guy you dont have to go but it would be a big help if you would . Of course he gets mileage and meal allowance . He is also single so no responsibility at home . He does hate that he gets the worse tractors . Mostly sterlings with no radio .

We have had guys come to our barn to help in the city. I know they didn't get the best trucks, but we were nice enough to give them the one stop or drop and hook loads.
I know we had one guy go to the XPH barn a few years ago and he was given mult-stop pedal. I heard of others going out there and when they got back told there TM "I will quit before I go out there again".
You ask for help and when you get some you screw them.

Last edited:

Done it when they opened up a certain state. Had l/h run since us guys didn't know the city...and whatta city it was....new terminal_all new tractors. I imagine that that was a rare occasion...