SAIA | Crashes and big brother in the trucks

suicidejockey

TB Regular
Credits
Does anyone else think it's a coincidence that the fact that we have more crashes in the last two years than we've ever had in the history of the company.and that the fact that the activation of all the cameras , lane deviator and all the other you mess up once and your gone rules go hand in hand with the high crash frequency . You can argue however you want to but the fact is we were not having this many crashes 4.5,or 6 years ago before all this came along . I think it just puts everyone on edge and makes some ppl nervous that they think they are going to get fired every morning when they arrive at the yard and have that note to call safety.I don't know just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

There has been more pressure applied everywhere. On the dock, terminals, city drivers, and linehaul. It's only going to get worse. Like I have said on another thread, numbers never go down only up.

All those idiot boxes and noise makers are distractions. Plus, all that puts you in a nervous mind set b4 you even start driving. Gee.....what does nervous and distracted driving spell? Oh!... And a truck that slams on the brakes w/o warning when you get "too close" to something. What a F_ _ _ing stupid idea. Thats a crash just waiting to happen. The driver needs to be in complete control of the truck and not be thrown any curve balls from the trucks behavior. Just wait. Crash investigations will start showing the driver lost control when the brakes slamed on w/o warning and steered into something.

I understand all your concerns but studies have concluded that these devices (especially Wingman) have saved companies millions in lawsuits...........Frivolous lawsuits brought on by scammers that cut off truckers on purpose.............Sorry brothers they are here to stay.........In time the LTL industry will have the technology that exist in Conway's fleet today.....Sadly in todays world this is what things have come to.....The upside will always outweigh the downside when it comes to these devices.....I suggest you adjust accordingly and be prepared for these warnings....A little awareness of your trucks abilities and your ability to adapt just might save your life....Wingman is used in a court of law almost every single day.........Sometimes it can bury you if your wrong.....But sometimes it can save your ass.....It's a trade off that's worth the price.

These "safety" gizmos, whether its an alarm or the camera, are also tattletale gizmos. If you exceed a certain number of warnings, then the system sends a report to who knows where and that report will be forwarded to your TM for "counseling" or worse.. Have a nice day.

These "safety" gizmos, whether its an alarm or the camera, are also tattletale gizmos. If you exceed a certain number of warnings, then the system sends a report to who knows where and that report will be forwarded to your TM for "counseling" or worse.. Have a nice day.
I don't know why it is we must have such a "us" and "them" mentality......If you are doing your job in a safe manner you should have nothing to worry about.....You are given more than enough chances to straighten up your act before you are terminated....You can't honestly tell me you would want a unsafe driver on the streets to jeopardize the safety of the public and to hurt the bottom line of your company.....If you are then you are obviously in the wrong business.

Runawaytrain, Are you a driver or do you work inside? You posted, If you are doing your job in a safe manner you should have nothing to worry about. Even you couldn't bring yourself to post a guarantee by writing, If you are doing your job in a safe manner you have nothing to worry about., why give yourself an out if you are so sure that what's right is right or maybe you know that that perfect world does not exist.

I'm with Gaspasser and Suicidejockey on this one. By sticking all these tattletale boxes in the trucks, you have put additional pressure on hundreds of drivers. Some may be perfect like you, but there will be others who are fine drivers but can't handle the additional stress brought on by big brother watching by electronic tattletales.

There can be many theories as to why there is a rash of accidents this year. Additional pressure brought on by these tattletale boxes is as good as any.

Last edited by a moderator:
Runawaytrain, Are you a driver or do you work inside? You posted, If you are doing your job in a safe manner you should have nothing to worry about. Even you couldn't bring yourself to post a guarantee by writing, If you are doing your job in a safe manner you have nothing to worry about., why give yourself an out if you are so sure that what's right is right or maybe you know that that perfect world does not exist.

I'm with Gaspasser and Suicidejockey on this one. By sticking all these tattletale boxes in the trucks, you have put additional pressure on hundreds of drivers. Some may be perfect like you, but there will be others who are fine drivers but can't handle the additional stress brought on by big brother watching by electronic tattletales.

There can be many theories as to why there is a rash of accidents this year. Additional pressure brought on by these tattletale boxes is as good as any.
Good catch......Too many different variable circumstances......Mostly the drivers history of a particular incident and severity of each incident.......I do find it ludicrous and absurdly inept to theorize that these devices actually contributed to accidents.........Good Grief........What a reach.

the devices,no, but the atmosphere of stress that they can create can.

You've got 4 veteran drivers, probably with an accumulated safety record of decades, suggesting to you that these devices may have contributed to the rash of accidents. I wouldn't be so quick to blow us of with I do find it ludicrous and absurdly inept to theorize that these devices actually contributed to accidents.........Good Grief........What a reach.

Do you not agree that the tattletale devices can cause additional pressure on the driver?
All pressure is self-inflicted. It's what you make of it or how you let it rub off on you..............When people are putting pressure on me I just completely ignore it. I got a job to do and my focus is doing it to my best ability......That leaves very little time for self-doubt. I am not perfect...........And I do make mistakes. ....... But the secret of success is consistency of purpose......I know what I am , and what I have to do in my profession....So I can handle the pressure. It's just the way I think....Lots of people put pressure on me but I don't put a lot of pressure on myself.....I just do my job safely and the rest will take care of itself.

the devices,no, but the atmosphere of stress that they can create can.

You've got 4 veteran drivers, probably with an accumulated safety record of decades, suggesting to you that these devices may have contributed to the rash of accidents. I wouldn't be so quick to blow us of with I do find it ludicrous and absurdly inept to theorize that these devices actually contributed to accidents.........Good Grief........What a reach.
Trust me....Everything they say are taken into account and are not discounted.............But the fact remains they must adapt......They can.....And they will.....If they want to remain in this business. Technology will only become more advanced as the LTL industry moves forward.

Ok the gadgets are fine I can deal with that and yes they can help I have to say the safety technology on the truck has made me a better driver in my co truck as well as my personal vehicle and yes they can save you in court .what I can't deal with is the the uncertainty Of what kind of action the safety dept will take why can't they put the limits on this stuff in black and white so we know how many times we can screw up before we get in trouble for instance the lane deviator thing. dude I run 580-612 miles a night heck yeah I'm gonna get up against the zipper or the fog line in that 13.5 hr trip anyone will whether it's just because you drift over there or get pushed over by another vehicle or debris in the road. Veteran Drivers in ctn have been getting the coaching on this already I have a friend who got 3 days off for a hard brake but I know of 3-4 others that did the same thing and only got (counseled ) by their tm THAT IS NOT FAIR !!!! also it's not fair for the ones of us who have to drive the new trucks to be punished while the guys driving the 08 and older trucks don't. I know guys still driving them for the main purpose of getting away from the gadgets as long as possible . Safety should not fire anyone over this until all the trucks are retrofitted like they say they are going to then it will be an even playing field right now it's not

Ok the gadgets are fine I can deal with that and yes they can help I have to say the safety technology on the truck has made me a better driver in my co truck as well as my personal vehicle and yes they can save you in court .what I can't deal with is the the uncertainty Of what kind of action the safety dept will take why can't they put the limits on this stuff in black and white so we know how many times we can screw up before we get in trouble for instance the lane deviator thing. dude I run 580-612 miles a night heck yeah I'm gonna get up against the zipper or the fog line in that 13.5 hr trip anyone will whether it's just because you drift over there or get pushed over by another vehicle or debris in the road. Veteran Drivers in ctn have been getting the coaching on this already I have a friend who got 3 days off for a hard brake but I know of 3-4 others that did the same thing and only got (counseled ) by their tm THAT IS NOT FAIR !!!! also it's not fair for the ones of us who have to drive the new trucks to be punished while the guys driving the 08 and older trucks don't. I know guys still driving them for the main purpose of getting away from the gadgets as long as possible . Safety should not fire anyone over this until all the trucks are retrofitted like they say they are going to then it will be an even playing field right now it's not

I agree 100%......And in time the playing field will be correct......And new guidelines will come into play as time evolves. Everyone will know where they stand .....And the company WILL MAKE THINGS FAIR.

Say RT, I keep hearing this rumor that CT is going to buy out Saia. Wouldn't that be ironic. Sorry for being off topic.
OK my old friend I will play along but you know better than that....Saia is a class act and would never let that happen. Get back on the Estes forum where you belong old friend......I love you but these boys don't play.....I will send you a PM....In the mean time get out and pick-up some new accounts because your O.R. isn't cutting it.....LOL

I understand all your concerns but studies have concluded that these devices (especially Wingman) have saved companies millions in lawsuits...........Frivolous lawsuits brought on by scammers that cut off truckers on purpose.............Sorry brothers they are here to stay.........In time the LTL industry will have the technology that exist in Conway's fleet today.....Sadly in todays world this is what things have come to.....The upside will always outweigh the downside when it comes to these devices.....I suggest you adjust accordingly and be prepared for these warnings....A little awareness of your trucks abilities and your ability to adapt just might save your life....Wingman is used in a court of law almost every single day.........Sometimes it can bury you if your wrong.....But sometimes it can save your ass.....It's a trade off that's worth the price.
I have to weight in on this. I have been driving for 41 years. No accidents in the last 39. Worked for Conway for 30. I have 2,740,000 miles accident free with Conway alone. They put these cameras in. That is fine to help the company in litigation but! Every event they drag the driver in and tell them what he/she did wrong. It started out as coaching now it is discipline . Best part is I have people with little to no experience tell me what I did wrong. With that being said.... The Ltl industry is going to loose a lot of good people with their smoke and mirrors. All they want it 100 percent control in a constant changing environment .

I have to weight in on this. I have been driving for 41 years. No accidents in the last 39. Worked for Conway for 30. I have 2,740,000 miles accident free with Conway alone. They put these cameras in. That is fine to help the company in litigation but! Every event they drag the driver in and tell them what he/she did wrong. It started out as coaching now it is discipline . Best part is I have people with little to no experience tell me what I did wrong. With that being said.... The Ltl industry is going to loose a lot of good people with their smoke and mirrors. All they want it 100 percent control in a constant changing environment .
If this industry had professional drivers like you they probably would have no need for such devices for the most part.......But there is a driver shortage in todays world, drivers fresh out of driving school that have no business pulling a set down the road....Too many rookies on the road that can't drive and in many cases can't even speak English............Most managers look the other way with petty issues concerning professional drivers. Your track record and history always come into play (trust me) but careless rookie mistakes must be addressed and corrected and these devices provide accountability......In a perfect world we wouldn't need these devices. But as we all know. It is what it is.

If this industry had professional drivers like you they probably would have no need for such devices for the most part.......But there is a driver shortage in todays world, drivers fresh out of driving school that have no business pulling a set down the road....Too many rookies on the road that can't drive and in many cases can't even speak English............Most managers look the other way with petty issues concerning professional drivers. Your track record and history always come into play (trust me) but careless rookie mistakes must be addressed and corrected and these devices provide accountability......In a perfect world we wouldn't need these devices. But as we all know. It is what it is.[/QUOTE

It me it is just a slap in my face... I do not like to be lumped in with everyone else