SAIA | Crashes and big brother in the trucks

Jk according to the bendix website it disables the system the system if the lights are off on the rocker switch it's off the yellow light means you are going too slow for it to work ( under 30)or it's malfunctioning the green light means it's active . I drive a new 13 Volvo and so far I have not had any violations I ask my tm almost every week I've been in this truck for 1 year you have to push things pretty hard to set this stuff off . I have set it off on a new international tanker at the volunteer fire dept I used to be a member of I went into a sharp turn a little hot a it being a tanker the water made it lean a little bit and it cut the throttle and stabbed the brakes we since sent it back to international and had it adjusted now it's not so sensitive

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

It can be a distraction. But I honestly don't really notice the system. Only time is bothers me is when a car moves over to close and it sets off the sensor saying I'm to close or when I get stuck behind a slower moving truck or car and I can't get over fast enough and when I do get over the car in the left lane slows down and it sets it off again. I know fedex has the same system in there trucks. Estes has the system In there new kenworths and freightliner but they don't have the camera. Idk if saia is going to be that strict with the lane deviation system. Yeah I sometimes set it off but it's going to happen. Your not going to be perfect all night long and be dead centered in the lane all night. Maybe if you keep drifting back and forth cuz your really tired. I notice I set the lane deviation off more in the Volvos then the internationals. I swear the Volvos wander alot more

Con-Way is no where near this advanced, RT. I think all this tattle-tale BS is eventually going to make all the good drivers look elsewhere. I'll change professions before I go to another company that thinks it needs to be a nanny to it's drivers. This crap is just asinine.

Now that you have mentioned disabling the system, I believe that it tracks that number as well and is on the printout.

Jockey, when you say that you haven't had any violations, the system in your '13 Volvo hasn't chirped at you. If it has, you've been violated. The bendix screen records everything. If you have gotten too close it beeps, the little light starts to blink, and the silhouette of the little truck gets bigger. It's been reported.

When the time comes for the TM's to make the printouts public, you'll have one.

From what the guys in nsh are saying you have to make it beep 6 six seconds before it kicks on or you just have to do the stupid stuff like slam on the brakes or trigger the roll over or close in on somebody extra fast who knows maybe it did tell on me if it has nobody has said anything to me yet but I tell you one thing If it tells on me every time you overspeed I would already be fired I get about 100 of em every night and that's no joke lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Back to topic. Drivers are graded by transit times. They are graded by how they shift. Now, you will be graded by the Bendix Wingman Accident Mitigation System otherwise known as those tattletale boxes. TM's or whoever will be able to access the incident reports by date or date range.The system may even file its own report, with pictures or video. You sway, you sway more than 6 inches, you sway without a signal, you hard brake, the system hard brakes for you, the system hard brakes because it thinks that you are going into a turn too fast, how many times are you detected following another vehicle by less than 2 seconds, how long do you follow another vehicle at less than 2 seconds? These are all incidents and I am sure that there is more that the system tracks. This is just the stuff that I can remember from a quick glance at the information packet explaining the printout. Get ready for the write ups and the counseling. Since I now know that this information is being accumulated and will be used, I find myself ,in traffic, looking at the wingman screen more than I should.

Has anybody else seen the information packet or heard about the program?

Now what do I do? True story. I drive on state and US single lane with good shoulders highways every night and into the morning rush. Every morning, without fail, I will have other vehicles pile up behind me but I would move to the shoulder to let them by. This lets the antsy drivers go on and seemed to be a good safety move. Now, If I move to the shoulder, the system will light me up for major sway and probably start the camera. Now, I can't let the antsy drivers go. I almost saw a headon collision the other day. In fact, the only reason why the collision was avoided is because I was watching the antsy pile, saw the driver pullout, realized he wasn't going to make it, and pulled to the shoulder to give him some place to go. I don't think that the system saw it the same way and their way is the only way.

It can be a distraction, especially after being counseled or worse. Runaway, you still think that this system is not a possible distraction?
Yes at times it is a distraction.....Especially to professions that really don't need the system.......But it's their ballgame and their rules.....We knocked on their door and asked to play. Like a major league ballplayer we play by their rules or go home.....I'm not saying it's right or wrong.....I'm just saying there is not really much you can do about it if you want to play ball.

I laughed when several people at Martin-Brower walked out the door because of the installation of DriveCams in our fleet. Anyone running from the cameras will just meet them again one day. Trust me, the majority of companies are switching to this technology, the numbers can't be argued with.

I agree mlang. The ones I don't want to deal with are the ones that face the driver. I'm fine with em facing out of the front of the windshield but not me

Any mention of the word "metrics" and "scorecard" is enough to make me lose any interest in working there. Definitely no different than Con-Way. These college kids need to get jobs in statistics and leave the trucking to people who actually know what it takes to drive a truck...

all trucking company's are the same, just a different name on the door

I don't know about LTL, they seem reluctant install them. Maybe it's the money, I don't know, but most companies that use the driver-facing cameras show great results as far as accidents and distracted driving.

I don't like them one bit and have been driving with a camera looking at me for almost 2 years now. Personally, I think every company will eventually have them. Shoot, one day a forward facing camera at least might be law as it is in some countries around the world.

Unfortunately the industry is changing, but for those of us that are professionals, we have little to worry about.