R&L | CSA 2010....Be Informed

CSA 2010 DSMS (Driver Safety Measurement System) Methodology

We need to think about these things

Under the new rules of CSA 2010...THE DRIVER will also be rated for his driving/safety performance, as well as the company, and this rating will follow him/her to every employer he driver for!

Lets ALL look at this ...If YOU do not pretrip, you will suffer!

If YOU go out without a weight ticket and get a violation at the scales, it also goes against YOU, as well as the company.

If you drive out with cupped, flat spots and worn threads on THEIR tires...YOU will be cited under the new CSA 2010 Rules as well as the company.

If YOU decide to run in with 4 ways flashing at night instead of getting those lights fixed on THEIR equipment...it will go against YOUR safety record under the CSA 2010.

If you have to get another driving job....The CSA 2010 safety rating will follow you from job to job, and may cost you in getting a job.

SO GUYS....think about your pre-trip now....demand the lights to be fixed...demand the bad tires be replaced...and most of all DEMAND a weight ticket for ALL axles no matter how light the load!....IT IS YOUR CDLs...NOT THEIRS!
Just to pass on some additional information. When this gets up and running on a full scale basis in June 2010, they will go back 3 yrs on your mvr to figure your safety score. If you have a ticket on your mvr that is worth 3 points, your safety score will be a 9 because they will take the amount of points on your license and times it by 3. This is for all violations on your driving record, not just in a cmv.

The high ticket items are DOT major violations and unsecured Haz-Mat. Both are weighted at 10 points.....In the first six months the violation is multiplied by 3 and then the multiplier goes down over the course of the next two years as the violation ages.
The question that noone has answered is why warnings are treated the same as tickets. Perhaps someone in Washington lost track of the concept "innocent until proven guilty"
On the UPSIDE, a driver with an extremely clean driving history will be able to command a much higher wage because so many of the current commercial drivers will be too high of a liability for any carrier to employ. Keep your proverbial noses clean, and come sometime after August 2010, you should likely reap the rewards for all of your efforts.

The high ticket items are DOT major violations and unsecured Haz-Mat. Both are weighted at 10 points.....In the first six months the violation is multiplied by 3 and then the multiplier goes down over the course of the next two years as the violation ages.
The question that noone has answered is why warnings are treated the same as tickets. Perhaps someone in Washington lost track of the concept "innocent until proven guilty"
On the UPSIDE, a driver with an extremely clean driving history will be able to command a much higher wage because so many of the current commercial drivers will be too high of a liability for any carrier to employ. Keep your proverbial noses clean, and come sometime after August 2010, you should likely reap the rewards for all of your efforts.
So your saying one major violation will do a driver in?

Not one violation. A pattern of negative entries on your MVR that include moving violations, accidents, out of service orders, drug and alcohol convictions, suspensions etc. Its actually no different than your individual states methods for keeping track of driver qualification. The only twist is that "big brother" will be accumulating data on all commercial drivers and holding individual carriers responsible for the performance of the individual drivers in their employ. Companies that allow "marginal" or "poor" drivers on their payrolls will filter to the top and be audited by the DOT to identify causation of their unsafe performance.

Not one violation. A pattern of negative entries on your MVR that include moving violations, accidents, out of service orders, drug and alcohol convictions, suspensions etc. Its actually no different than your individual states methods for keeping track of driver qualification. The only twist is that "big brother" will be accumulating data on all commercial drivers and holding individual carriers responsible for the performance of the individual drivers in their employ. Companies that allow "marginal" or "poor" drivers on their payrolls will filter to the top and be audited by the DOT to identify causation of their unsafe performance.
I get it now. Thank You. So really there is no magic number. If a company wants the DOT off their back then they would want drivers with good numbers. OK I got it!!!!:clap:

Be careful guys and watch for RED TAGS on your equipment. Dip Stick...Under your trailer. I am sure every location does it! Be aware and make sure and check your normal everyday stuff! Don't get caught not finding one of these and not turning it in to the shop!

Come on guys,Quit panicing. we will be under the same rules and regulations as everyone else. If your truck needs something then it's up to you to write it up and put it IN the shop. My truck has over a million miles,but has and will pass an inspection. It all boils down to how YOU take care of it. If there is something seriously wrong with it then don't drive it. I know that we need new trucks,but they aren't coming anytime soon. We had new trrucks,but they sent them out west when they opened up California. Every other company will be under the same rules,try checking their trucks out sometimes. I think that the new rules will mostly effect owner operators and the trucks coming out of Mexico. I'm wondering of these rules were put together to keep some of the Mexican trucks out,because of NAFTA.
Being a past R&L driver I would say there plenty to panic about, R&L has some of the biggest pieces of unmaintained crap on the road. Let me give you an example of the only time I was going to write up a truck, it had a horrendos oil leak, it was leaking so bad the oil was dripping off of the rear end, so I took this jewel to the shop and asked what the procedure was to report this, The answere I got was "You can write it up if you want but they won't let me fix it because oil is cheaper than the repair" That was the last time I bothered and the 2nd to the last time I drove any of that crap

Being a past R&L driver I would say there plenty to panic about, R&L has some of the biggest pieces of unmaintained crap on the road. Let me give you an example of the only time I was going to write up a truck, it had a horrendos oil leak, it was leaking so bad the oil was dripping off of the rear end, so I took this jewel to the shop and asked what the procedure was to report this, The answere I got was "You can write it up if you want but they won't let me fix it because oil is cheaper than the repair" That was the last time I bothered and the 2nd to the last time I drove any of that crap

Maybe it is your mechanic. I have been here a long time and this would not be standard practice. Compared to what I see others driving we still have some of the best equipment on the road. It is up to us drivers to identify problems and have them fixed before it causes a bigger issue. It is amazing what you can find on a pre/post trip sometimes.

So what searcher09 is saying is that DOT is going to go back 3 yrs on our DMV ? to give us a rating ? not really fair to cdl holders , I guess drivers with a clean record are going to be sought after what are the companies going to do to get them and keep them ?guess we will find out shortly

So what searcher09 is saying is that DOT is going to go back 3 yrs on our DMV ? to give us a rating ? not really fair to cdl holders , I guess drivers with a clean record are going to be sought after what are the companies going to do to get them and keep them ?guess we will find out shortly
It is not fair at all, but what has been fair to the drivers since they brought the CDL into play.

Just a small clarification there dirtyneck,If you have a valid delivery on a no thru trucks street you are legally allowed to proceed down that street.

You can take that chance. I know where my SC is, the cops will write you up in a heartbeat. Then you can take it to court, lose a day, and they'll uphold the cop everytime. If push comes to shove, call HR and get a name and ask what they feel you should do.

I'm not seeing the problem here. Looks like they are looking for bad drivers. Drivers with major accidents, convictions for alcohol infractions, and drivers with lots of stuff on their MVR. If you don't have any of that stuff, why the panic?

If you find something wrong with your equipment, get it fixed. If they won't fix it, don't pull the load. If you have to replace a con gear, do you get delay pay for that if the shop won't replace the cupped tires? And how can a line driver be held responsible for an "unsecured" HM shimpment? And it used to be that everyone involved with an HM shipment was liable for any infraction the driver may face. Wonder how many part time dock hands know that?

Take a breath guys. Just do what you've been doing. If they have enough drivers refusing to pull loads due to mechanical problems, they'll have to fix that won't they?