Central Transport | CT offers PAY INCREASE to keep drivers. LOL

We had 4 Central guys interview in NJ at Duie, were set to come on and back out due to pay raises. They said they were bumped to $23.50 and would get another $1.25 in 4 years from now. Our starting rate was almost $22 and with OT after 45 it wouldnt have been that much of a difference. We couldn't understand why they backed out, but strange things happen.:draw:

We have had a number of drivers quit at 303, but no mention of a pay increase... Two this week
and I know for a fact one is going to OD.

The terminals that are getting raises have double digit drivers leaving within a two week span on average and on going for a few mths.

I used to have to work the dock after my city peddle at Con-Way. Of course, I was on OT, so I didn't really care...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

We were told by Stamper before the merger that we would not work the dock, as opposed to knowing up front that working the dock was mandatory for all after your peddle. I went to Estes knowing full well that I may have to work the dock, I'm OK with that. CT back stabbed us after we got in the door, that's what jerks my chain.

I remember my first week after being forced over, was told on Friday afternoon that Saturday was mandatory, got it excused because i had a prior engagement, but was told to not make any plans for the next weekend (which was thanksgiving weekend) I went in on Friday after thanksgiving and spent 12 hours freezing on the dock not knowing my head from my butt with their system, then was granted Saturday off luckily I was "paroled" 2 weeks later to the company I'm with now.

It appears the new found 1.00 raise at CT in Detroit is NOT working to keep drivers as they had hoped for. 2 mores drivers are in the hiring process pipeline to be hired soon at another LTL company. Just saying, Rob Stamper IT IS NOT ENOUGH TO KEEP YOUR DRIVERS AT CT!!!

More recent news out of the Detroit terminal; So as I hear it, let's say your a 2nd wave driver with a start time 9:00 am, they have now told them to start at 8:00am so that they can deliver drop & hook loads to Ford PRC, Hollingsworth, GM Exel and a host of other customers before their peddle. They do their P & D, come back to the terminal at the end of the day, then unload their pick ups. This is apparently set up this way, so that the drop and hooks get delivered earlier to the customer and to make it fair for the driver that has to unload his inbound as opposed to some drivers getting out of stripping theirs by running Mopar loads. For those that are no longer at CT, once you get your inbound trailer stripped, you are unable to log off ( punch out ) until some knucklehead somewhere gets an email to release the driver from his trailer.

So, in a nut shell, do you think the 1.00 raise will really help keep any CT drivers at CT?

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears the new found 1.00 raise at CT in Detroit is NOT working to keep drivers as they had hoped for. 2 mores drivers are in the hiring process pipeline to be hired soon at another LTL company. Just saying, Rob Stamper IT IS NOT ENOUGH TO KEEP YOUR DRIVERS AT CT!!!

More recent news out of the Detroit terminal; So as I hear it, let's say your a 2nd wave driver with a start time 9:00 am, they have now told them to start at 8:00am so that they can deliver drop & hook loads to Ford PRC, Hollingsworth, GM Exel and a host of other customers before their peddle. They do their P & D, come back to the terminal at the end of the day, then unload their pick ups. This is apparently set up this way, so that the drop and hooks get delivered earlier to the customer and to make it fair for the driver that has to unload his inbound as opposed to some drivers getting out of stripping theirs by running Mopar loads. For those that are no longer at CT, once you get your inbound trailer stripped, you are unable to log off ( punch out ) until some knucklehead somewhere gets an email to release the driver from his trailer.

So, in a nut shell, do you the 1.00 raise will really help keep any CT drivers at CT?
As the moderator I receive PM's from drivers throughout the CT system. Things are happening everywhere...I'm glad you posted that information about Detroit on the open forum Jeep man for the drivers to understand what's in store for them down the road. If any other driver would like information about what's going on in your particular region send me a PM and I will do my best to get you the information you need. And as always Jeepster thank you for keeping us up to date on what's happen in the Detroit area. Your sources are spot on.

Last edited by a moderator:
As the moderator I receive PM's from drivers throughout the CT system. Things are happening everywhere...I'm glad you posted that information about Detroit on the open forum Jeep man for the drivers to understand what's in store for them down the road. If any other driver would like information about what's going on in your particular region send me a PM and I will do my best to get you the information you need. And as always Jeepster thank you for keeping us up to date on what's happen in the Detroit area. Your sources are spot on.

It all comes full circle. 1 year ago along with the previous 10 years CT always had an ongoing add for drivers in any help wanted listing. I look at the big picture and have to laugh. All the business CT could have gained from the buyout is gone with the drivers. There is a reason the other companies are hiring disgruntled CT workers.

Only those terminals where men have quit en masse qualify for the raises.

8 yrs ago when i worked for c.t. the straw that broke the camels back for me was, i started at $19 per hr, and after about 6 months we were in dire needs of drivers ( go figure). So i was training a guy, during the ride along i was teaching him the dolphin, and was explaining him the pay scale, he said " no need to explain, i walked in the door at top pay $22.50 per hr". He said the new driver that had 4 yrs of city driving came in with top pay and a weeks vac after 30 days. I see nothing has changed, ( even thou c.t. bought vitran, which came with. A fully trained driving staff. Lol some things just dont make sense

Hey train, how have u been, long time no talk... well the 411 on the c.t in nashville, the city peddlers that dont keep their "stops per hour at what c.t wants it at" they have the option of getting laid off or going to the road. I know of 4 drivers that were wanting to keep their job, so now they run the road. I ran into one of them at the mall, and he told me, everytime hes able to hold a decent run, c.t bumps him off of it and gives it to a O.O. now he does a chicago meet in seymour indiana. Which isnt the biggest run, but he says it pays the blls, the part that pisses him off, is when he gets bk its MANDATORY for him to work the dock every morning. Hey train, next time i run down to the upsf barn in dallas, i will inbox u. We should get together. Ill buy breakfast.

So, in a nut shell, do you think the 1.00 raise will really help keep any CT drivers at CT?

As an added update this week;

A det. driver is sent out to do his morning drop & hook, the hook has freight on it that he brings back to the terminal. Upon arrival he is told that he needs to strip the inbound trailer before he is able to hook to his regular peddle. What a joke, he now gets to work 2 trailers in 1 day. Another driver takes a load into the same place makes his drop & then bobtails back. Why? Because dispatch did not tell him to get an empty to bring back. Bad luck for the 1st driver, I guess.

Hey train, how have u been, long time no talk... well the 411 on the c.t in nashville, the city peddlers that dont keep their "stops per hour at what c.t wants it at" they have the option of getting laid off or going to the road. I know of 4 drivers that were wanting to keep their job, so now they run the road. I ran into one of them at the mall, and he told me, everytime hes able to hold a decent run, c.t bumps him off of it and gives it to a O.O. now he does a chicago meet in seymour indiana. Which isnt the biggest run, but he says it pays the blls, the part that pisses him off, is when he gets bk its MANDATORY for him to work the dock every morning. Hey train, next time i run down to the upsf barn in dallas, i will inbox u. We should get together. Ill buy breakfast.
Cool brother $$ ..Give me a shout. Great hearing from you... I was beginning to worry about you because I haven't seen much of you on the UPSF forum. We will hook up.

A det. driver is sent out to do his morning drop & hook, the hook has freight on it that he brings back to the terminal. Upon arrival he is told that he needs to strip the inbound trailer before he is able to hook to his regular peddle. What a joke, he now gets to work 2 trailers in 1 day. Another driver takes a load into the same place makes his drop & then bobtails back. Why? Because dispatch did not tell him to get an empty to bring back. Bad luck for the 1st driver, I guess.
Dallas and Houston are in bad shape....I will send you a PM.

That happens everywhere driver. We all have the human factor in there...

That happens everywhere driver. We all have the human factor in there...
Yes it does happen everywhere Skeeter but when you work at the worst LTL trucking company in the business it happens much more often. Central Transport reputation speaks for itself. Just ask anyone.