XPO | Culture Matters

Lots of bad happened before the sale though... I think that's what he's getting at.
The resentment goes far back, the damage was done before the sale. The way I see it the management turned their back on the employees for cooperate greed.
Ok. I get it. I just took his quote "Angered even further from the sale" as meaning that the resentment has grown since the sale. But ya, he was probably reflecting more on the past. Sounds like the frustration cup had runeth over before the sale though.

Agree, Dodge. I was only there three years. I took the job out of necessity back in 2009 during the 'depression' but vowed it would only be a temporary stop-over until I got back on with a Union carrier. The company took EVERY advantage they could of us because they knew they had us all by the balls as we, naturally, needed to work. I've been in the workforce for 40 years, have had numerous jobs, but never was treated so badly in my entire life. I hope the best for all at the new XPO, as I have many friends still there.
Thanks for the best wishes...they're really appreciated. I guess the reason why so many of us keep on staying here after all the abuse over the years is because we just have given up resisting it and accept it as normal. Don't all LTL's treat their people like this?...is the thinking, so why try to go somewhere else and start at the bottom. Also we stay because we hope somehow someway that there might be a change for the better, e.g. a new and better leader, a 3rd party helper, whatever... but it just hasn't happened. Maybe this new guy, Mr.Jacobs, will lead us into the promised land of greatness again. Who knows??? I just hope and pray that XPO doesn't become another Con-way...but I'm afraid that it's already headed in that direction. Help me here w/ this old familiar saying as to whether it applies to us, "If you've seen one(LTL), you've seen them all"

Ok. I get it. I just took his quote "Angered even further from the sale" as meaning that the resentment has grown since the sale. But ya, he was probably reflecting more on the past. Sounds like the frustration cup had runeth over before the sale though.

People were really pissed. Going after unions and all sorts of stupid ::shit:: . Now they are just overwhelmed with it. So mad that they wish for the worst.

Thanks for the best wishes...they're really appreciated. I guess the reason why so many of us keep on staying here after all the abuse over the years is because we just have given up resisting it and accept it as normal. Don't all LTL's treat their people like this?...is the thinking, so why try to go somewhere else and start at the bottom. Also we stay because we hope somehow someway that there might be a change for the better, e.g. a new and better leader, a 3rd party helper, whatever... but it just hasn't happened. Maybe this new guy, Mr.Jacobs, will lead us into the promised land of greatness again. Who knows??? I just hope and pray that XPO doesn't become another Con-way...but I'm afraid that it's already headed in that direction. Help me here w/ this old familiar saying as to whether it applies to us, "If you've seen one(LTL), you've seen them all"

A bunch of the investors have put a buy out on FedEx. Call for it to go over $200 a share. The biggest reason for this ? Their number one LTL competition in North America, Con-way Freight, is no more. What does that say about how they feel this company will be used going forward ?

Having said that seniority and the butt kissers will always come out on top, our company has ran on koolaid and snitches for so long they don't know any other way, as long as they same management remains I dought this company will ever change much!

Koolaid and snitches.

I know the seriousness , but thinking about that makes me chuckle because I've faced it for so long.

Koolaid. Butt kissers. Snitches. The prevailing attitude seems to be that volunteering to be on the LEAN team or the VVT makes you less of an employee, somehow- not an engaged one. Isn't that engagement , though? I've seen those guys catch hell, just like the "lead men" at some barns and the guys in the safestack vests they had strolling around on the dock a while back. And snitches- hell, I think it'd be worse wearing the scarlet letter of a snitch than being someone who is well known for just laying out and making everyone work harder or costing the company money. Whoever came up with the idea of having "the courage to intervene" doesn't really understand Conway culture.

Is it possible those attitudes might negatively affect engagement? Everyone sees how those guys are treated. Why would I want to be an engaged employee and deal with that? Shockingly- I don't. It's a lot simpler to do my job, get my check and go home, and I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Will XPO be different? Who knows, but it'll take a lot more than a new name and colors.

Koolaid. Butt kissers. Snitches. The prevailing attitude seems to be that volunteering to be on the LEAN team or the VVT makes you less of an employee, somehow- not an engaged one. Isn't that engagement , though? I've seen those guys catch hell, just like the "lead men" at some barns and the guys in the safestack vests they had strolling around on the dock a while back. And snitches- hell, I think it'd be worse wearing the scarlet letter of a snitch than being someone who is well known for just laying out and making everyone work harder or costing the company money. Whoever came up with the idea of having "the courage to intervene" doesn't really understand Conway culture.

Is it possible those attitudes might negatively affect engagement? Everyone sees how those guys are treated. Why would I want to be an engaged employee and deal with that? Shockingly- I don't. It's a lot simpler to do my job, get my check and go home, and I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Will XPO be different? Who knows, but it'll take a lot more than a new name and colors.

Good Points!
Many employees step up and get engaged with Lean and VVT. But are they empowered by management or enabled by management? If you are listened to, and given the space to develop your ideas, then congratulations on being in a great location. However if your involvement with Lean and VVT only allows you to complete the tasks that management believes "fits" their ideas of continuous improvement and engagement, welcome to the pace of operations, enablement, and our Theory X culture.

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden

I admit to drinking the kool-aid, and there is an extra amount of threads stitched onto my sleeves to prove I drank it at one point. I believe my accomplishments within the company have been because of opportunities given to me. Going from a Y to an X is incredibly frustrating. Most frustrating is that I have not changed, but my reputation tags me as being part of a group of dis-engaged employees and somehow I need to fix myself. ICUICP posted "One can see the attitude ( or type of management ) in everyday examples. Also , proof that we are X is exhibited by the fact we are driven ( you included Merdock ) to these boards to discuss systemic , chronic problems and issues anonymously." I find it interesting, in just seven days this thread has had over 2300 views, but I can't get local management to spend five minutes trying to understand any of this discussion.

Back in the good ol' days at CSW, we had a work ethic. I used to run an FAC that had no supervision. We got it done every night.

Good Points!
Many employees step up and get engaged with Lean and VVT. But are they empowered by management or enabled by management? If you are listened to, and given the space to develop your ideas, then congratulations on being in a great location. However if your involvement with Lean and VVT only allows you to complete the tasks that management believes "fits" their ideas of continuous improvement and engagement, welcome to the pace of operations, enablement, and our Theory X culture.

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden

I admit to drinking the kool-aid, and there is an extra amount of threads stitched onto my sleeves to prove I drank it at one point. I believe my accomplishments within the company have been because of opportunities given to me. Going from a Y to an X is incredibly frustrating. Most frustrating is that I have not changed, but my reputation tags me as being part of a group of dis-engaged employees and somehow I need to fix myself. ICUICP posted "One can see the attitude ( or type of management ) in everyday examples. Also , proof that we are X is exhibited by the fact we are driven ( you included Merdock ) to these boards to discuss systemic , chronic problems and issues anonymously." I find it interesting, in just seven days this thread has had over 2300 views, but I can't get local management to spend five minutes trying to understand any of this discussion.

If XPO sets the table as a money rules all situation, how does that effect your x and y ? If everything ends up do this or don't get that ? Is chase the cash a new culture ? Or the systemic elimination of what remains of any culture we had ?

Back in the good ol' days at CSW, we had a work ethic. I used to run an FAC that had no supervision. We got it done every night.
back in the good ol days we worked a 12 hr log!!! the good ol days died when they sent mr.detter packing. now we night line haulers with a 500 mile run can plan on a 13 1/2 hr night every night thanks in part to these sub-standard trailers we're waiting on every night. i'm still waiting for this "more love for the drivers" from mr jacobs ,has anyone seen this "love" yet

I know someone will complain about my post, but I have to ask, you state "greatness again" I am wondering when you consider Conway was a great company? I have been in the ltl racket for a little over thirty years and actually have more years non union than union, but not by much. I have been out of work several times over those years and filled out many applications over the years. Even though there has always been a Conway terminal in a city about 20 miles from my house, I have never stopped there. I have had two buddies go to Conway over the years and between working split shifts when starting out and then having a job once you were there for a while that consisted of taking your set down to a suburb of Chicago, breaking the set, working the dock, building your set again and driving three hours home. That just never sounded like a job I was interested in, so am I missing something, is there something Great that my buddies never told me about?

back in the good ol days we worked a 12 hr log!!! the good ol days died when they sent mr.detter packing. now we night line haulers with a 500 mile run can plan on a 13 1/2 hr night every night thanks in part to these sub-standard trailers we're waiting on every night. i'm still waiting for this "more love for the drivers" from mr jacobs ,has anyone seen this "love" yet
Mr. Detter got a bunch of willing people to help him build a successful trucking company, filled his pockets and then left, don't B/S yourselves!:6788::growup::couch:

I know someone will complain about my post, but I have to ask, you state "greatness again" I am wondering when you consider Conway was a great company? I have been in the ltl racket for a little over thirty years and actually have more years non union than union, but not by much. I have been out of work several times over those years and filled out many applications over the years. Even though there has always been a Conway terminal in a city about 20 miles from my house, I have never stopped there. I have had two buddies go to Conway over the years and between working split shifts when starting out and then having a job once you were there for a while that consisted of taking your set down to a suburb of Chicago, breaking the set, working the dock, building your set again and driving three hours home. That just never sounded like a job I was interested in, so am I missing something, is there something Great that my buddies never told me about?
well we used to have icp bonuses ranging from 3k-5k, 100% health coverage, 12 hr workdays, a pension plan, the trucks have gotten better since the ford days but at least when you got one it was usually yours till it was time for your new truck.we had a truck with 1.6 mill miles! best truck in fleet of that year.now i get to trade every year from one truck to the same year truck and its trashed,i work 13+hrs a day because we're always waiting on these joke 3rd party carriers,there are only two things this company did right post gerry detter better trucks and we don't run in the garbage weather anymore.also x-mas party's don't exist anymore ,common sense dispatching,the drivers care factor,yes at one time you were proud to wear those god awful brown and white uniforms now it's just a paycheck

Last edited:
well we used to have icp bonuses ranging from 3k-5k, 100% health coverage, 12 hr workdays, a pension plan, the trucks have gotten better since the ford days but at least when you got one it was usually yours till it was time for your new truck.we had a truck with 1.6 mill miles! best truck in fleet of that year.now i get to trade every year from one truck to the same year truck and its trashed,i work 13+hrs a day because we're always waiting on these joke 3rd party carriers,there are only two things this company did right post gerry detter better trucks and we don't run in the garbage weather anymore.also x-mas party's don't exist anymore ,common sense dispatching,the drivers care factor,yes at one time you were proud to wear those god awful brown and white uniforms now it's just a paycheck
Sounds like a job....I guess everyone has a little different idea of what the term Great means.

Good point. Wages have leveled off. Benefits continue to get more costly for us and them. Where will this love come from ? And what form will it take ?

Sounds like the trip to St. Louis could be compared to a politician's debate, a lot of energy discussing goals and visions with little time spent on what the first step of the journey should look like. Understandable... but I gotta wonder when do the employees get their time in St. Louis? Not literally, but when and how will the employees have an audience with Brad and Tony? I'm not a fan of employee surveys, within our company they have always produced the same answers, poor communications and a disconnect with supervision. But over the years the results of the results have been nothing more than talking points of a powerpoint. In yesterday morning's discussion of St. Louis with our manager what I heard was the need to improve the performance of employees but nothing was said regarding the need to improve management.
So I say again, we need a defined direction of the intended culture of this new company, directive or participative. I say again I hope the visions of success for us are under an umbrella of a participative culture. From there the following linked article demonstrates the next steps to follow.
http://www.gallup.com/businessjourn...utton&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=sharing
http://www.gallup.com/businessjourn...utton&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=sharing

I had posted earlier regarding Theory X vs Theory Y. There is one more management theory regarding employee engagement, Theory Z. William Ouichi developed this theory in Japan in the 1980s. I wonder if this theory aligns better with the values of XPO.

http://www.ehow.com/info_7748060_theory-management.html

Sounds like the trip to St. Louis could be compared to a politician's debate, a lot of energy discussing goals and visions with little time spent on what the first step of the journey should look like. Understandable... but I gotta wonder when do the employees get their time in St. Louis? Not literally, but when and how will the employees have an audience with Brad and Tony? I'm not a fan of employee surveys, within our company they have always produced the same answers, poor communications and a disconnect with supervision. But over the years the results of the results have been nothing more than talking points of a powerpoint. In yesterday morning's discussion of St. Louis with our manager what I heard was the need to improve the performance of employees but nothing was said regarding the need to improve management.

If they can't even figure out the first step in a week ? Is that a good sign ? What good are x y or z if you can't even distinguish direction ? How can management be effective without guidance ? Are we doomed to more of the rudderless ship ? Please NO !

They intend to increase performance ? But all they do is coddle the useless and punish the determined. Change the culture of encouraging uselessness. Change the culture of accepting failure. Change the culture of " it don't matter, nobody cares ".

I'm disappointed in myself. I should have never expected better to come from that meeting. I set myself up for a let down. Just stupid. Stupid me. I'm an idiot.

So I say again, we need a defined direction of the intended culture of this new company, directive or participative. I say again I hope the visions of success for us are under an umbrella of a participative culture. From there the following linked article demonstrates the next steps to follow.

I had posted earlier regarding Theory X vs Theory Y. There is one more management theory regarding employee engagement, Theory Z. William Ouichi developed this theory in Japan in the 1980s. I wonder if this theory aligns better with the values of XPO.

http://www.ehow.com/info_7748060_theory-management.html

I share your desire. And pray for better days.

If they can't even figure out the first step in a week ? Is that a good sign ? What good are x y or z if you can't even distinguish direction ? How can management be effective without guidance ? Are we doomed to more of the rudderless ship ? Please NO !

They intend to increase performance ? But all they do is coddle the useless and punish the determined. Change the culture of encouraging uselessness. Change the culture of accepting failure. Change the culture of " it don't matter, nobody cares ".

I'm disappointed in myself. I should have never expected better to come from that meeting. I set myself up for a let down. Just stupid. Stupid me. I'm an idiot.
Vote with your feet. If management cannot hear you , see you , or care about you or your responsibilities as a part of this company - they cannot ignore the loss of valuable employees due to mismanagement. Lack of concern and disinterest in improvement of the situation which has systemic , chronic issues which never seem to get resolved entirely.

Have clean CDL. Have experience. Have the desire for better relationship between management and worker. Have to leave. Any combination or one by itself is reason enough to begin to look elsewhere.

Vote with your feet. If management cannot hear you , see you , or care about you or your responsibilities as a part of this company - they cannot ignore the loss of valuable employees due to mismanagement. Lack of concern and disinterest in improvement of the situation which has systemic , chronic issues which never seem to get resolved entirely.

Have clean CDL. Have experience. Have the desire for better relationship between management and worker. Have to leave. Any combination or one by itself is reason enough to begin to look elsewhere.

Been looking. Plenty of opportunities. Just not sure about jumping.

I am done with LTL if I go. There is no reason to start this process all over from day one again.

Thinking about switching up my bid. Maybe some time on L/H will get me what I need.