XPO | Culture Matters

I do agree it probably will come to cameras and it has saved them money from accidents . I'm also not against it when it comes to getting rid of the slackers but on the other hand that's part of the reason i became a trucker was to get away from having a boss standing over me when I do my job and there's no need for it , but some people do need it .

If they really want to save money go back like it was in the old days , Let the drivers fill the position of FOS but this time give them a little of incentive for volunteering for it. That would easily save them 100,000,000 a year

Thats right, we never had FOS'S on dock, we kept track of trailers ourselfs and it worked fine, even if we had 15 drivers coming into the FAC, well there would be an FOS or 2 but they were just walking around or up front or in glass tower

Last edited:
No they don't, all they have to do is have the drivers train them to load NOT these FOS's and tell the dock workers they are being monitored by the moves in their handheld , so they will know if they are slacking . then instill in them to ask questions if they don't know , give them some slack their not children . If we can do it unsupervised so can they

I Really, REALLY hate to say it but the only way to hold individuals accountable for damages is to have cameras on the dock . that way there's no " it was damaged by the previous driver/dock worker" , Because when it comes down to it in this day and age people have very few ethics when it comes to making money or loosing money, that's why an incentive program (on an individual basis) based on not damaging freight will not work, unless there are cameras because driver #2 will always blame driver #1 if he can. then if they do add cameras are they really saving anything? No the purchase price , installation, increased turnover in employees plus the coast of personal to monitor, investigate damages and maintain the cameras and system in the end they will save nothing . Ever since they took away our pension the attitude went to "who cares" then when they took our big bonuses away the attitude went to "F**K this place " . A $600 incentive isn't much to concern over, Now if they jack it back up to $6000-$7000 people will pay attention. The dock workers also need the same bonus for this to work . You have to spend money to make money

How about just practicing a core value that CNW had... "Integrity", (defined as doing the right and honest thing)? Before I was put on the list at my barn many years ago, the SCM sat me down and asked me a bunch of questions. I think back on one question that he asked me , "How would you describe yourself as a person?" ...to which I responded..."I consider myself to be hard working , honest, committed, and conscientious." I think that SCM believed me cause he hired me that very day. And over all these years I've tried my very best to live up to those values ...especially being conscientious. Point? Everybody knows what the right and honest thing is to do. In order to reduce our damages, we have to own up to doing them, and take whatever consequences that are required. Then make a concerted effort to try to improve in the future. When I worked for another carrier years ago, a dock worker didn't get along w/ the I/b super...sooooo he purposely drove his fork blades through crates containing expensive pianos. Bottom line...we got to have "Integrity" in all areas of our business if we're going to survive. Just my take on how things can improve.

I completely agree that's what is needed ,but a lot of people don't have integrity these days because they were never taught it by their parents or they have had supervisors/ authority figures that had none inadvertently teach them there was no need for it .
I have noticed this also, it seems the quality of some of the drivers/dock workers is not the same as it was in late 80's and 90's, but when I hired on you had to have 2 years OTR before you even had a shot a getting on with CCX, just saying in general

Last edited:
I completely agree that's what is needed ,but a lot of people don't have integrity these days because they were never taught it by their parents or they have had supervisors/ authority figures that had none inadvertently teach them there was no need for it .
you either have it or you dont! i grew up in a liberal household! once i was on my own perceptions changed 4 me. we all innately know right from wrong the rest is all in choice