Yellow | D.O.T. checks

serta said:
Any word on d.o.t. checking on our runs?
I haven't heard anything yet........I'll take a trip down to relay. Other than Truckingboards, :smilies-19296: that's where you go to get the scoop!! You know the saying....."Telephone, Telegraph, Tell a driver"!:dance: DS.

We got a lot of whiners that don't like running over 500 miles on a run. Unfortunately we work for a company that doesn't get that 59mph trucks with 200hp motors don't average 65mph. I'm not sure how we balance the two. I'll admit that it does take me sometimes 12 hours to run 620miles from Dallas to St. Louis. I guess you have the option of going to the motel when you hit 11 hours. I just do what the company wants because I want to get home the next day.

truckinusa said:
The company at worst is trying to squeeze another hour out of you. I guess you could work for this company. They may even provide a helmet? http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/0227chassisjockeys.html
Hey truckin........believe it or not, there is a bus manufacturer close by that does the exact same thing. I have seen them driving those frames, even in the winter!! I thought to my self, "That's really got to suck"!! DS.

Docksteward said:
Hey truckin........believe it or not, there is a bus manufacturer close by that does the exact same thing. I have seen them driving those frames, even in the winter!! I thought to my self, "That's really got to suck"!! DS.
I guess its not "only in Mexico?"

truckinusa said:
We got a lot of whiners that don't like running over 500 miles on a run. Unfortunately we work for a company that doesn't get that 59mph trucks with 200hp motors don't average 65mph. I'm not sure how we balance the two. I'll admit that it does take me sometimes 12 hours to run 620miles from Dallas to St. Louis. I guess you have the option of going to the motel when you hit 11 hours. I just do what the company wants because I want to get home the next day.
Oh boy, I think your in for a beating when some of the "real" Teamsters read this. Besides breaking the law (over 11 driving) you gonna hear it about breaking down working conditions for your fellow Teamsters. Will be keeping an eye on this thread to make sure it doesnt get too brutal. :hide:

truckinusa said:

truckinusa, Just remember that it is your license, your fine tp pay and your livelyhood on the line if you get caught running over hours. Don't expect the company to back you on this one and if you get in a serious accident while you are over on your hours you'll never drive a commercial truck again.
Is it really worth it?

truckinusa said:
Some one please tell me this is a joke and I'm to stupid to get it:chairshot: :duh:

Hey there trucking u.s.a. you should be ashamed of yourself calling yourself a teamster driving 12 hrs a day because of people like you we have illegal runs to much greed. If we would stick together we would not have this problem . I just transfered into the southern conference from the western conference, boy what a difference i cant believe all the sca-s out here greed has taken over. might as well go to work for fed ex freight .

ca kid said:
Hey there trucking u.s.a. you should be ashamed of yourself calling yourself a teamster driving 12 hrs a day because of people like you we have illegal runs to much greed. If we would stick together we would not have this problem . I just transfered into the southern conference from the western conference, boy what a difference i cant believe all the sca-s out here greed has taken over. might as well go to work for fed ex freight .
Welcome to the boards.....ca kid. DS.

I avoid those runs like the plague. I would rather be in a sleeper all the time.
All I was saying is guys whine about stuff and don't do anything about it. The company is going to keep handing out these runs if the drivers that have high seniority take these premium runs and run them all the way. The company has told us they won't come out to get us if we are short. I guess this is their way of coercing drivers to break the law. I came from a company where I would drive 18 hours or whatever it took to deliver the load all the time. Its kinda nice to just drive 12 hours for me.

truckinusa said:
The company has told us they won't come out to get us if we are short. I guess this is their way of coercing drivers to break the law. I came from a company where I would drive 18 hours or whatever it took to deliver the load all the time. Its kinda nice to just drive 12 hours for me.
1st you call them enroute and advise them you do not have enough time to complete your trip and ask them what they would like you to do. Try to call before you pass the last terminal enroute to your terminal (any small satellite will do, so you can go to bed there, you know where they are). When they start whining, crying and every other excuse about needing their freight, your not a team player, etc., repeat the 1st statement. If they hang up on you and you can get hold of your steward, call him and tell him whats going on. If you want to get home, run till your 11th hour and park safely and wait for them to come get you, but try to let them make the decision. The longer you wait the more they owe you (all time paid after you run out of available driving hours). You will probably have to file a pay shortage and then a grievance to get paid, but, you have the contract and the law on your side. They will come and get you eventually.

TheBigR said:
1st you call them enroute and advise them you do not have enough time to complete your trip and ask them what they would like you to do. Try to call before you pass the last terminal enroute to your terminal (any small satellite will do, so you can go to bed there, you know where they are). When they start whining, crying and every other excuse about needing their freight, your not a team player, etc., repeat the 1st statement. If they hang up on you and you can get hold of your steward, call him and tell him whats going on. If you want to get home, run till your 11th hour and park safely and wait for them to come get you, but try to let them make the decision. The longer you wait the more they owe you (all time paid after you run out of available driving hours). You will probably have to file a pay shortage and then a grievance to get paid, but, you have the contract and the law on your side. They will come and get you eventually.
Big R there is another side to this. I have a friend who about 4-5 years ago went to the Company about a run out of 120 to somewere in Mass saying that the bid could not be run legal the way it was set up. You would eather run out of time on your 70 or come out short on your (At the time) 15. Now remember he went to the then Relay Manager on his own to try to find a way to correct the problem. And a few weeks later when the bids were posted and that this run was the same he ask the RM why the run wasn't fixed. The Relay Manager just blew him off and turned his back on him as he walked away.
What happened next should show every Teamster that for all the BULLSH#T this Company puts out about safety the could care less about safety or their Drivers.
My friend went to the BA and ask what he should do. He was told to file on the run for lost wages as the run could not be made legally. So he files grevances and when it comes up for a hearing the company simply gets rid of the bid. No attempt to fix the problem, Just get rid of it.
Then the Terminal Manager and the Relay Manager make statments something to the effect that they will "FIX MR.________! He's not going to tell US how to run OUR operation! I begged him to call the DOT and report this! And to report all the other "SCA$S with UNION CARDS" who were running Illegal but he lost faith in the system as the Union did not protect him. He is out over $2000 in lost wages because he did THE RIGHT THING.
SO don't be too hard on those who are greedy. When they get older and can barely walk and hobble to the truck then they might wise up!
As for my friend, We was lucky! He was able to transfer out of 120 and he had never looked back! He did tell the Relay Manager to take that Million Mile award and shove it up his A$$! and when the award was placed in the Drivers room with the smart A$$ comment that we will turn it into a Shrine to Mr. ____ he smashed it and sent it back to AGO with a nasty letter.
So please do not execpt this company to act safely. Look for the Company to try to get even longer runs! To them, Money is the bottom line. Safety? That get's in the way!

Fair warning to everyone! WATCH YOUR BACK!!!

metroman said:
Big R there is another side to this. I have a friend who about 4-5 years ago went to the Company about a run out of 120 to somewere in Mass saying that the bid could not be run legal the way it was set up. You would eather run out of time on your 70 or come out short on your (At the time) 15. Now remember he went to the then Relay Manager on his own to try to find a way to correct the problem. And a few weeks later when the bids were posted and that this run was the same he ask the RM why the run wasn't fixed. The Relay Manager just blew him off and turned his back on him as he walked away.
What happened next should show every Teamster that for all the BULLSH#T this Company puts out about safety the could care less about safety or their Drivers.
My friend went to the BA and ask what he should do. He was told to file on the run for lost wages as the run could not be made legally. So he files grevances and when it comes up for a hearing the company simply gets rid of the bid. No attempt to fix the problem, Just get rid of it.
Then the Terminal Manager and the Relay Manager make statments something to the effect that they will "FIX MR.________! He's not going to tell US how to run OUR operation! I begged him to call the DOT and report this! And to report all the other "SCA$S with UNION CARDS" who were running Illegal but he lost faith in the system as the Union did not protect him. He is out over $2000 in lost wages because he did THE RIGHT THING.
SO don't be too hard on those who are greedy. When they get older and can barely walk and hobble to the truck then they might wise up!
As for my friend, We was lucky! He was able to transfer out of 120 and he had never looked back! He did tell the Relay Manager to take that Million Mile award and shove it up his A$$! and when the award was placed in the Drivers room with the smart A$$ comment that we will turn it into a Shrine to Mr. ____ he smashed it and sent it back to AGO with a nasty letter.
So please do not execpt this company to act safely. Look for the Company to try to get even longer runs! To them, Money is the bottom line. Safety? That get's in the way!

Fair warning to everyone! WATCH YOUR BACK!!!
Unfortunately, you are also 100% correct. I feel sorry for they guys that got a ways to go, it ain't gonna be easy.:sadwavey:

Metroman,
If a driver is forced out on a run he can't make due to the 70 hour rule he really has no choice other than to get picked up or go to bed....the Companies option. If they tell him to go to bed they owe him for every minute he has to wait to pick up hours other than the first ten. If they come and get him he's on the clock until they get him back to the terminal. A good rule of thumb is to plan your trip so that you are at a motel when your time runs out. These Companies don't care about anything until it costs them money. Always put the burden of the decision on them, but be at an exit with a motel when you make the call to them. If they want their freight they'll come and get you. It's drivers who do things illegally for their own greed or convienence that emboldens the Companies to attempt to get everybody to break rules. A good Teamster will hold his ground.

Oklahoma City drivers are doing this too. 670+ miles, or 600 on two lanes through little towns and school zones, not to mention 4 scales between and uphill. I did this run "through the weeds" with a 65mph triples truck, prepass, going downhill (to OKC) in 10hrs 50mins, and these guys are doing it with 62mph trucks uphill with no prepass, ya right. just my opinion. take it for what its worth which is not much

pullintriples said:
Oklahoma City drivers are doing this too. 670+ miles, or 600 on two lanes through little towns and school zones, not to mention 4 scales between and uphill. I did this run "through the weeds" with a 65mph triples truck, prepass, going downhill (to OKC) in 10hrs 50mins, and these guys are doing it with 62mph trucks uphill with no prepass, ya right. just my opinion. take it for what its worth which is not much
Welcome to the boards, pullintriples. I gather from your post that you are a road driver from OKC?? :cool: DS.