ABF | d.o.t. recert.

Sometimes I wonder why I've chosen this profession.
If you are anything like me this is not the profession you chose. I chose a profession where we worked fairly hard, made our daily rounds and made a decent dollar. The profession it is today is working harder, breaking our backs and being treated like ::shit::. I chose a profession where I could have a home, a family and a vacation nook and have time to use them. If I had to buy a home and raise a family at today's costs and wages I'd be SOL and living in an apartment all my life. I wouldn't even be able to enter the housing market into a house that I wouldn't be ashamed of let alone have the other things.

Speaking of lowest bidder, let's not forget our new logistics department that was financed with our pay cut. Some of our long time customers have complained to us drivers about the ......."quality".......of some of the purchased transportation,.........but Hey! Lookit da' money we savin'!

Haphazard Trucking Inc. and FlapFenders Freight Forwarders are looking for drivers I hear, .......due to an increase in "logistics". Drivers must be sober and breathing to apply..........
It is the way of the future.

Can working people afford the future?

We can't all be high-powered high-dollar trucking company executives........someone has to do the actual work.

Why is it that the one who does the actual work is always the lowest paid in the food chain?

We can't all be high-powered high-dollar trucking company executives........someone has to do the actual work.

Why is it that the one who does the actual work is always the lowest paid in the food chain?
And that's another thing we'll have to address in 2018.

No, they cannot but those at the top cannot see our trials and tribulations, they are blind to our conditions. Furthermore, they do not care.
Yep, without us there could be no 'them'. This reminds me of something I learned years ago...Do you know the best way to keep a pig in the pen? Don't let him figure out that he can get out. Don't ask me why, it just reminds me of it.
This one on its own does not bother me, it's the size of the disparity between us that I see as the problem. All the while they're crying poormouth.

The towns around here are full of houses built and bought by men working at now abandoned factories.
When I see those big empty lots...I get very sad....in every empty parking spot is a good paying job that is no longer here. It is no longer contributing to the economy...To society in general. Progress is unavoidable. And other jobs have come in to take a tiny portion of those missing ones. But they don't pay enough to buy a decent car car much less build a house.

But they don't pay enough to buy a decent car car much less build a house.
When compared to our wages from now and then a decent car costs as much as a decent house and we cannot afford both without a two income household. Then the wife needs to work so new we need two decent cars, not just one decent one and the hand me down that we kept when we got a new one.

When compared to our wages from now and then a decent car costs as much as a decent house and we cannot afford both without a two income household. Then the wife needs to work so new we need two decent cars, not just one decent one and the hand me down that we kept when we got a new one.
True but cars are lasting 3 times longer than they did then. I remember our 72 Pontiac that was worn out at 70k, wasn't worth fixing according to dad.. Houses are this expensive beause we want to live in mansions. No one will buy a 2 bedroom one bath house anymore. But even if they did you couldn't build it for the 12 dollars an hour top pay that most are paying around here for one of the better jobs.

I raised four kids in a two bedroom, one bath house.......four great big hungry kids. We did it because every time we finally thought we had a good job,........the carrier went and shut down on us............Nine times.......

I was the guy that probably bought that 72 Pontiac off your Dad,..,......along with four yards of sheet metal, a pound of rivets, and seven gallons of Bondo.......

All those big hungry kids are through college and gone,..........and we have yet to buy a brand new car. Never owned one.

Gee, it sure would be nice if my pension stayed intact, and that they would pay me what I was promised these past 41 years,........

Seems kind of cruel and heartless that at the end of a working career, they'd change the rules and give you less than you were promised.......if I'd've known that 41 years ago, I might've chosen another profession,......one with more dignity and better working conditions,......... A smaller fatality rate.......

Gigolo,.....honey-dipper,...... Info-commercial salesman..........All those have better working conditions than truck driving,..........and they sure get treated with more respect........(..…..anyone that doesn't believe that hasn't unloaded at a food warehouse lately....).....

I raised four kids in a two bedroom, one bath house.......four great big hungry kids. We did it because every time we finally thought we had a good job,........the carrier went and shut down on us............Nine times.......

I was the guy that probably bought that 72 Pontiac off your Dad,..,......along with four yards of sheet metal, a pound of rivets, and seven gallons of Bondo.......

All those big hungry kids are through college and gone,..........and we have yet to buy a brand new car. Never owned one.

Gee, it sure would be nice if my pension stayed intact, and that they would pay me what I was promised these past 41 years,........

Seems kind of cruel and heartless that at the end of a working career, they'd change the rules and give you less than you were promised.......if I'd've known that 41 years ago, I might've chosen another profession,......one with more dignity and better working conditions,......... A smaller fatality rate.......

Gigolo,.....honey-dipper,...... Info-commercial salesman..........All those have better working conditions than truck driving,..........and they sure get treated with more respect........(..…..anyone that doesn't believe that hasn't unloaded at a food warehouse lately....).....
LOL Dad spent 30 years at Cummins building engines that go in these trucks. A good union job. I thought we had it pretty good growing up and we did. I think we are doing well now. But when I look at my daughters prospects for the future I get worried. Short sighted corporate greed will send us down the same road we are on until the whole world resembles something our of one of those dystopian future books that are so popular right now.

LOL Dad spent 30 years at Cummins building engines that go in these trucks. A good union job. I thought we had it pretty good growing up and we did. I think we are doing well now. But when I look at my daughters prospects for the future I get worried. Short sighted corporate greed will send us down the same road we are on until the whole world resembles something our of one of those dystopian future books that are so popular right now.

Technology breeds technology, and humans breed humans,.......and those two are incompatible, especially when there's profit to be made off of technology......

One of the unintended consequences of "driverless" cars,.......is that driving skills for the average motorist will completely disappear.

In that short window of time before the technology is infallible enough to be completely trusted, anyone with any sort of driving skills will be a hot property,........They will need a human "backup" in the event the technology fails.

Besides,...... you can't sue a computer for "driver error" in the event of a truck accident,.....so for a little while, our "jobs" will be safe.........

Kind of ironic,....... The human population is growing exponentially, yet all the work is being done by robots.........

Oh well,..........Remember what Walter Reuther told Henry Ford when they toured one of Ford's new automated plants, and Henry told Reuther he would have a hard time organizing the robots into the UAW.....Walter Reuther told Ford he also was going to have a hard time...........getting those robots to buy new Ford's.

Technology breeds technology, and humans breed humans,.......and those two are incompatible, especially when there's profit to be made off of technology......

One of the unintended consequences of "driverless" cars,.......is that driving skills for the average motorist will completely disappear.

In that short window of time before the technology is infallible enough to be completely trusted, anyone with any sort of driving skills will be a hot property,........They will need a human "backup" in the event the technology fails.

Besides,...... you can't sue a computer for "driver error" in the event of a truck accident,.....so for a little while, our "jobs" will be safe.........

Kind of ironic,....... The human population is growing exponentially, yet all the work is being done by robots.........

Oh well,..........Remember what Walter Reuther told Henry Ford when they toured one of Ford's new automated plants, and Henry told Reuther he would have a hard time organizing the robots into the UAW.....Walter Reuther told Ford he also was going to have a hard time...........getting those robots to buy new Ford's.
I have never heard that quote but that's it exactly!
And if you don't think the lawyers will find someone to sue then you don't know anything about lawyers haha.

But when I look at my daughters prospects for the future I get worried.
I would recommend that maybe you go buy some land down south where heat is not necessary so your descendants can build a hut to live in and monitor their livestock out in the yard. Something with or close to a nice creek would be best.

Got to do something while you're "laid" off, can't afford to go to the movies or pay the cable bill, just have to make your own form of entertainment.

Yeah,.........Every time I got laid off, she got pregnant.......That's why there's an 18 year span between all my kids......

Oh, well,........I guess you stick with what you're good at.........

I like this line when you walk into the business and the say "now what the **ck do you have" my reply is what the **ck did you order? Or delivering a upack & the don't know where they live....
I say the same thing GO40,you should just tell them to kiss the ring they are lucky your there!!!!!!!