Day 2 of my new bid

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Day #2 of the new bid quite different then day #1. You talk about a BALL buster wheew. Good 13.5 hour day at the office today. I got to my first stop I'm going to have to start my route earlier because what I didn't bank on was the trailer being loaded so heavy and so much cube that I couldn't unload it. I was 6 stops in today and still was having a hard time getting stuff off the truck. Finally later in the day I had a school that took 172 cases off and that opened up the trailer, but I had 915 cases and like 14-15 stops and I was struggling well for one some of the stops it's the proverbial you don't really know till you see if for your self deal. Plus the new area I am in I am not very familiar with and while I was never lost lost, there were a couple frustrating moments. Way new territory instead of being out in Compton Gangland Central which was my old area I am now in an area where I think the cheapest home price now this is in Ohio dollars, is $345,000 and they just go up from there.

I can't actually say the routes bad or the stops are awful there really not, but there are some tricks and I don't know all the tricks just yet and gosh was the trailer hard to unload. Yesterday I had 860 cases and who ever loaded it did fantastic I cut through that load like a knife through butter. This thing today was an all day knock down drag out fight it was just stuffed 915 cases is a lot for a 28' trailer your getting up to maximum capacity with that number, your really reaching real close to the limit. All morning long it was 72, 78, 81, 70, so on and so fourth and it was like I wasn't making any progress at all finally though I had a high school that was 121 cases and a middle school for 172 and that opened it up some, but I was loaded.

They said the weight was only 17,800 pounds on the load, but I don't buy it, that trailer felt way heavier to me when I was pulling out of the yard this morning. I've pulled a few 17,000lbs loads and I can't say I feel those that that much, but this sucker I felt it when I was pulling it out of the yard, I think they got the weight wrong.

Any rate though watching the money pour in this new route already 1775 cases for the week and tomorrow is another 800-900 case day. Excited to see my new pay check! Although I'm rather tired right now probably going to go to bed soon.

They warned me I probably would have been on my own today and I didn't expect any help although I think one of the bosses did want to come out and help, but couldn't however they did call me on the phone twice, and it was actually more of were really calling just make sure your alright I really do feel it was well intention-ed and they really maybe felt a little bad. I told them though I said it's a fight for every inch, but I'll get through to the other side. I've been doing this just barely long enough where while it might be a long day I can pull it off and that's just what I did, because at the end of the day the trailer was very empty ha-ha!

I think now that I've done all this I'm qualified to do the hardest LTL job possible. That's right LTL straight truck driver. I think those are the guys that do all the real fun stuff. It's all hard and it's all work, but the straight truck drivers I think do a lot of unloading with the two wheeler and wrestling with freight and going into the parking garages and stuff.