Day 6 Truck Driving School and a Log Book Question

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Hi everyone,

Today we started doing log books, I finally after experimenting with mine for the past 4-5 hours figured it out I think. I finally got it all to match right with minimal errors :confused: Nothings better then adding up the lines and having them come out to 23.75 hours.

The instructor made a series of fake trips for us to go on, actually several fake trips so I had 7-8 pages of the log book to fill out. I do understand it now and I'll get more training on it as time goes on I really do understand the meat and potatoes of it though. 70 hours in 7 days gets you a 34 hour reset and you are allowed to drive 11 hours in a 14 hour work day. You must take a 1/2 hour break in the first 8 hours of working. That 1/2 hour break does not stop the 14 hour clock. I looked over my fake log book right now and all my days are legal they all ad up to 24 with after I made my corrections (I know your not supposed to screw those up) added up to 24 hours.

Here is my question say you run a load deliver it and you are on hour 40 of your 70 hour clock and dispatch says "We don't have any thing for you right now will call you when we have something."

Two days go by before they get back to you, does that restart your hours?
I know the rules says you can only take one reset 70 hours every 7 days or one reset every 168 hours, but I mean you just had two days off, it would seem a little silly to have to keep the 40 hours you just worked on the log if you had two full days off. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

You would have been sitting and waiting, off duty, so no, it wouldn't count, if you don't have electronic logs just log with a pencil, thataway you can make adjustments to suit you...LOL, or run 2 log books, one for the DOT and one for you ;)

I'm kidding, I run electronic logs, I don't want to work hard enough anymore to cheat..

Travis, who is a nephew of a man I know, he used to work at Werner and he had no problem with Electronic Logs. The first thing he told me was go to a fleet that has electronic logs. He said it's easier and safer then having to worry about making a mistake and getting a fine.

You would have been sitting and waiting, off duty, so no, it wouldn't count, if you don't have electronic logs just log with a pencil, thataway you can make adjustments to suit you...LOL, or run 2 log books, one for the DOT and one for you ;)

I'm kidding, I run electronic logs, I don't want to work hard enough anymore to cheat..

That cheating with two log books sounds like hard work and a lot of trouble, I couldn't do it ha-ha.