ODFL | Daylight Linehaul

2BucTruck

TB Lurker
Credits
Depending on where you work, it can be something of a unicorn. I'm fortunate enough to work out of a break bulk that is large enough to offer all sorts of runs, including daylight linehaul. I've been running daylight for at least three bids now and I love it. We bid every 6 months. I'm curious, how many terminals out there offer daylight linehaul?

At our terminal, we have daylight wild turn and daylight schedules. Our day wild turn drivers usually start between 0900-1300. Our day schedules are ranging from 0400-1400. We have quite a few.

Typically, a driver can get a day wild turn in about 1-2 years of seniority. Day schedules open up at about 2+ years seniority. That seems to be the pattern.

I know how opportunities vary amongst different terminals across the country. For example, at some other break bulks on the east coast (more southern), some drivers can't even land a night schedule until a few years - they're having to run wild or team. This disparity between different OD terminals is what made me curious what other terminals out there offer daylight linehaul opportunities, and how long it might take for a driver to get enough seniority to land such a job.

Don't think there is a pattern at our center. Some years ago a bunch of drivers were hired, a bunch of runs were added. People with 2 years of seniority were able to get a day run. Now people with 2 years can't even get a bid.

Don't think there is a pattern at our center. Some years ago a bunch of drivers were hired, a bunch of runs were added. People with 2 years of seniority were able to get a day run. Now people with 2 years can't even get a bid.

Just goes to show how things can impact seniority, or what it's worth. Growth spurts, hiring phases, slow hiring phases, runs being added ... it all impacts seniority.

Reactions: Ump
Daylight dean walked into a daytime 600 mile turn his first year here when we bought out his wskt company with all those junky trucks and trailers OD scraped quickly. With lots of luck, you could get a turn that way.

Daylight dean walked into a daytime 600 mile turn his first year here when we bought out his wskt company with all those junky trucks and trailers OD scraped quickly. With lots of luck, you could get a turn that way.
Didn't quite work out that way at first, three years after OD bought us out I had a 21:30 gate time Tu-Sa, than moved to a 19:30 when that was added on,as for WSKT's equipment by and large it was newer than OD's at the time of the purchase especially the trailers WSKTwas almost 100% racks unlike ODs at time. I did nights almost 25 years before getting that day run,(maybe not as long as Billy's mom hung out by the main gate of Bremerton Navy yard trying to pick up sailors, but a long time just the same)

Didn't quite work out that way at first, three years after OD bought us out I had a 21:30 gate time Tu-Sa, than moved to a 19:30 when that was added on,as for WSKT's equipment by and large it was newer than OD's at the time of the purchase especially the trailers WSKTwas almost 100% racks unlike ODs at time. I did nights almost 25 years before getting that day run,(maybe not as long as Billy's mom hung out by the main gate of Bremerton Navy yard trying to pick up sailors, but a long time just the same)

You couldn't even read wskt on the trailers because the logos were so old and faded. Don't fool the new folk.

MOI
Why let facts get in the way of a good story.