ODFL | Daylight Linehaul

Don't know anyone that would call a sterling a good truck. Never saw a trailer with a name on it that wasn't faded. Luckily your owner sold you out to a much better outfit. Doubt you'd be making the same if they were still around. 2008 probably would've done wskt in if we didn't come and pick them up.
Yeah but they paid OT for P/D and linehaulers that had docktime,dont base a lot of inaccurate assumptions on some faded graphics.

Yeah but they paid OT for P/D and linehaulers that had docktime,dont base a lot of inaccurate assumptions on some faded graphics.

I keep forgetting they don't pay that bc I live in a state where they're forced to do so as they cheapskates should for the rest of the country.

Well, things are always evolving. 10 years ago, 4 wild/bag, 1 regular scheduled wild turn, 2 GOK (times/days varied), 2 4/5 term. back to home night. Since 08/09 layoffs, wild/bags are gone. Last 2 years, 5 day TOP-GOK day turns, 3 Mon-Fri, 2 Tue-Sat. Earliest is 08:00, last one is noon. The wild and 2 4/5 term and back home are still Mon-Fri night. Have a Wed-Sun, and a Tue-Sat night runs that have been empty since Oct/Dec last year. Lowest man on days gets usually cut on Tues. Some of the rest of us on Tue, Wed, Thurs at times. Volumes are down. If you get cut during week, usually can get a Sat or Sun run to make it up. Sometimes I use a Vac/Per day, or work a weekend, or actually do P&D or whatever extra might be out there on cut day. Those who bitch, and/or wont do other stuff, don't get any sympathy from me. Been in trucking 30 years, worked twice as hard for 1/2 the money, so don't gripe much. Mon-Fri. 11:00, gives me chance to do a little personal business when needed.

Last edited:
Well, things are always evolving. 10 years ago, 4 wild/bag, 1 regular scheduled wild turn, 2 GOK (times/days varied), 2 4/5 term. back to home night. Since 08/09 layoffs, wild/bags are gone. Last 2 years, 5 day TOP-GOK day turns, 3 Mon-Fri, 2 Tue-Sat. Earliest is 08:00, last one is noon. The wild and 2 4/5 term and back home are still Mon-Fri night. Have a Wed-Sun, and a Tue-Sat night runs that have been empty since Oct/Dec last year. Lowest man on days gets usually cut on Tues. Some of the rest of us on Tue, Wed, Thurs at times. Volumes are down. If you get cut during week, usually can get a Sat or Sun run to make it up. Sometimes I use a Vac/Per day, or work a weekend, or actually do P&D or whatever extra might be out there on cut day. Those who bitch, and/or wont do other stuff, don't get any sympathy from me. Been in trucking 30 years, worked twice as hard for 1/2 the money, so don't gripe much. Mon-Fri. 11:00, gives me chance to do a little personal business when needed.
Looks to me there's just too many schedules .. Extra/wild can take up the slack when needed

Volume is down 10 to 15% from previous year. So hiring freeze, and any driver who leaves, certain runs are then not filled. 08/09 had actual cancel of certain schedules, drivers let go, (me/wild, 4 months, and transfer to a hub terminal) if schedule driver had seniority, bumped the wild/extra driver. Know at times, certain wild drivers now only run 2-3 days. Yes, working 5 would be great to count on, yet no complaint. It's a 698 daily. 3,490 weekly. Legally, if volume is up, 6th day volunteer means 4,188. If worried, have seniority to take back my old night run of 518 to 540 miles with 40 to 48 drop and hooks, and took an hour+ longer than what I do now for 20 to 25% less a day. I was asked to transfer back to my original terminal 5 years ago due to a career ending injury to a driver. For 9 years our terminal never added a scheduled run. 09 cut the 4 wild slots, In 14 added 5, yet only 3 are filled at moment. Officially only 2 of the 5 added are schedules, yet if no freight going west, bigger terminals east have drivers sitting, prevents running. (Classified as Wild) Same with the 2 unfilled runs. So, actually our 1st guy cut is a wild set schedule, just that if he gets cut more than 1, we rotate, so he doesn't starve. All day runs are within 4 hours, so movement is usually quite easy up or down. Admit, there has been times, all 5 runs canceled same day. (Not weather related) Now that gets you thinking. Old saying "It's just the LTL freight business."

Great posts Ruffian, thanks for contributing! This is the stuff I was interested in hearing about. I'm always curious how things are run at other terminals in regard to linehaul schedules. Every terminal offers something a little different. I've heard that on the east coast, larger terminals / break bulks like MRT or GBO have so many linehaul drivers that it takes a while to move up in seniority. Lots of drivers are teaming for a year or two in the beginning. Wild drivers work 6 days a week. It can take a few years to even sniff a schedule. Whereas at HAR, the northeast break bulk, you can easily get a schedule in your first 6 months to a year - tops. Wild bag / turn drivers at HAR work 5 days a week.

Great posts Ruffian, thanks for contributing! This is the stuff I was interested in hearing about. I'm always curious how things are run at other terminals in regard to linehaul schedules. Every terminal offers something a little different. I've heard that on the east coast, larger terminals / break bulks like MRT or GBO have so many linehaul drivers that it takes a while to move up in seniority. Lots of drivers are teaming for a year or two in the beginning. Wild drivers work 6 days a week. It can take a few years to even sniff a schedule. Whereas at HAR, the northeast break bulk, you can easily get a schedule in your first 6 months to a year - tops. Wild bag / turn drivers at HAR work 5 days a week.
Correct & one reason why I ended up in the City.Even of I had stick it out I would still be working night's & weekends after 12 years for sure.

Are you out of GBO?
Yes,they have added a bunch of new meet&turn and added a bunch of team runs to the Northeast.I like my Monday thru Friday and being close by home.I enjoy communication with other's and being stuck in the truck for hour's at a time I go crazy.lol.I was told by our old Linehaul Supervisor that I should see a schedule run within 8 to 10 yrs.when I was hired.When I got out there and talked to the other drivers I saw real fast that yes it maybe true.But,it would have been night's & weekends.We got guy's now that have only been around a couple years and they already have a wild bag out run's.

Yes,they have added a bunch of new meet&turn and added a bunch of team runs to the Northeast.I like my Monday thru Friday and being close by home.I enjoy communication with other's and being stuck in the truck for hour's at a time I go crazy.lol.I was told by our old Linehaul Supervisor that I should see a schedule run within 8 to 10 yrs.when I was hired.When I got out there and talked to the other drivers I saw real fast that yes it maybe true.But,it would have been night's & weekends.We got guy's now that have only been around a couple years and they already have a wild bag out run's.
Wow. That's way different from HAR. 8-10 years gets us some of the best runs you can get! I got a schedule after only 4 months being wild, only 2 of those months were bagging out.

Wow. That's way different from HAR. 8-10 years gets us some of the best runs you can get! I got a schedule after only 4 months being wild, only 2 of those months were bagging out.
Yep,back in 04 I think I stayed in HAR most of the time running turns there.They had just finished the place and was offered a opportunity to move there.They were hiring like crazy there.

Well when I got relocated to PAR after 09 layoffs, I was 30 something on the wild board. I did the same as when wild out of TOP, basically a systems driver. Ran all 48, stayed out 3 to 9 weeks. Covered whatever asked. Could see things were a changing, so when offered a transfer back to TOP for a schedule, took it. Except for P&Der who moved up to line haul, and 2 transfers, all line haul drivers here since 05 (WSKTers), I came in 06. Youngest line hauler is 51.

For all it's faults, at least all of ATL's schedules have one day off per week on the weekend. Everything is Mon-Fri Tue-Sat or Sun-Thur.

Reactions: Ump
Well when I got relocated to PAR after 09 layoffs, I was 30 something on the wild board. I did the same as when wild out of TOP, basically a systems driver. Ran all 48, stayed out 3 to 9 weeks. Covered whatever asked. Could see things were a changing, so when offered a transfer back to TOP for a schedule, took it. Except for P&Der who moved up to line haul, and 2 transfers, all line haul drivers here since 05 (WSKTers), I came in 06. Youngest line hauler is 51.
Speak for yourself my elder:)

Same there for the most.I like me Sat &Sun.lol

Me too, but I will work Sunday afternoon to keep my schedule the way I want it. That way I still get to church with the family Sunday morning and then do the work thing after. Well I did, this team deal I'm back on is a Tue early am bid. Still am home by Saturday afternoon at the latest.

I prefer Tues-Sat. With our job, depending on the LINEHAUL schedule (caps provided to alleviate any confusion for our P&D chums that think the topic has "done run it's course"), having a weekday off allows the opportunity for things like doctor appointments that aren't available on the weekend.

Unless a little latter start, like 11:00. Since I don't do a meet, been allowed to come a couple hours latter if med test or something occurs. Lucky my Doc is mile from terminal, and starts at 07:00. Seems a lot of our drivers, P&D and linehaul use this clinic due to early hours.