Dayton & Speeding

Discussion in 'Dayton' started by belch, Jul 20, 2018.

1. belch

belch New Member

I never see Dayton trucks driving at or below the speed limit. I've seen some pretty aggressive tailgating and lane changing too.

Are you guys overworked and always pressed for time or is that just the culture there? I don't want to work for a company that makes it's drivers break the law to get the job done.

2. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

No. In fact, they preach safety left and right and stress following distance. They also have harsh consequences for speeding tickets, especially in construction zones. Some drivers are just aggressive, like anywhere else. Those who act like that just stand out more because they have faster trucks to do it in.

The irony about your question is that every night I pass slower trucks that end up passing me back when the speed limit goes down or we go into a construction zone. Drivers in 63-65 mph trucks are blowing by me then because they're willing to risk tickets for 10 or 15 over and they make up their time in slow speed zones. And there are Dayton drivers who will do that, too, because "everybody else is doing it." But there's no culture at Dayton that pushes that kind of behavior.

We are expected to get the job done and not drag our feet, but our manifests have plenty of cushion built into the ETA times to do so safely. If traffic or weather eats up that cushion, no big deal. If we're a little late, no big deal, we just need to call in the event of significant delays. Overall, the culture is very laid back. You just do your job and nobody bothers you.

jimmy g, Stimpy and belch like this.
  3. Lazer

Lazer WWG1WGA

If you can consitantly run hard, you will make more money. either by getting to break bulk terminal before somebody else and grab an extra kicker onto your run, or clocking for the dock quicker. it can add up to pretty hefty chuck of change by the end of the year. and the best benifit is getting back home sooner.

Stimpy, belch and coondogg like this.
  4. bubs

bubs Active Member

You're right about the speeding in construction zones. I see it every night on 65 and it drives me bonkers. As far as the speeding, they're putting it into that real quick with the wigmaster systems. I personally like the fact that they're doing it because I see way too many people speeding on 294. I also see way too many people going slow as hell on the inside Lane which forces me to pass them on the right.

jimmy g, coondogg and belch like this.
  5. belch

belch New Member

This is good to know. Thanks.

6. belch

belch New Member

Ah-ha. That might explain what appeared to be two Dayton drivers racing each other on 294 Friday morning. It's what prompted my post.

the5tolls likes this.
  7. belch

belch New Member

Good grief, I know. Inevitably when you attempt a pass on the right, there's a breakdown on the shoulder or the slowest driver in Illinois happens to be in that lane at that moment just when you're about to clear the other truck.

bubs likes this.
  8. belch

belch New Member

And this is not to hate on Dayton, more an observation and a job search inquiry. Fed Ex doubles drivers have Dayton beat in the f***tard department.

Dirty Bob likes this.
  9. miltowntrucker

miltowntrucker Member

No we weren't racing on Friday morning on 294. Just moving freight and with the construction zones I take those very serious.

belch likes this.
  10. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

Some guys just refuse to lift. If someone insists on passing me at a half mph faster than my truck, I'll back out of it. I refuse to camp out next to another truck for 10 miles. I wish more people would do this. It's extremely frustrating in Michigan when a 63 mph truck passes a 62.5 mph truck and we aren't allowed to use the left lane. I just give up and watch the show.

jimmy g, troubleman84, icuicp and 2 others like this.
  11. belch

belch New Member

Yes you are one of the few then. It's safer too. Should either of you blow a steer tire for instance the results would not be pretty.

coondogg likes this.
  12. bubs

bubs Active Member

Same, the less people around me the better.

icuicp and coondogg like this.
  13. 00mustang

00mustang NO LTL 4 ME CAR HAUL ONLY

Glad my company only runs 61.97 I'll never wear out my "Good Buddy"switch

troubleman84 and coondogg like this.
  14. the5tolls

the5tolls April 1, 2019.....paybacks are a bitch!

I don't really care but I call bull :shit: on the other trucks passing you guys when the speed limit drops, I actually have worked for companies that run like you guys in the past and it is a very hard habit to break but you saying that Dayton's slow down in lower speed limit areas and get passed is a load of crap and I run all the same lanes as you guys.

White and belch like this.
  15. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

I was only speaking of myself. I'm generally a 5-over or less guy and usually peg it right on the money in small towns. I am more aggressive than some of my coworkers and less aggressive than others. But the original question was about the culture, and the real cowboy days are over at Dayton.

There are serious consequences from the company for speeding now. I know a guy who got a warning/inspection for speed in a new construction zone (no ticket because of the circumstances) and got 3 unpaid days off. He lost almost a grand in wages. Generally, it's the young guys who take unnecessary risks. Most of the old guys are pretty mellow at Dayton.

vongrimmenstein likes this.
  16. Lazer

Lazer WWG1WGA

Wow, is that all you have to do now-a-days to get some time off? geeze, when I was there, it was almost like pulling teeth to get just a day.

17. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

Yeah, they don't play these days - especially when it comes to construction zones.

18. belch

belch New Member

Passed by O/Os? I'm sure it happens. Passed by other LTLs? Still have yet to see it and my cute little day cab can only muster 64 so I always have a back row seat for the show.

19. belch

belch New Member

Hope that's the case - I'm considering applying but don't want to HAVE to drive like that to hit my times. Be nice to have some extra juice once in a while but I'd prefer not to have to hang out in the hammer lane. Why make the easiest trucking job there is (linehaul) more stressful than it needs to be?

coondogg likes this.
  20. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

I agree. The bottom line is that guys who run like that choose to do so. Call me a slowpoke, but I regularly get passed by Holland, Saia, Estes, OD, FedEx Freight, UPS Freight, etc in 55 mph zones. There's a reason my last ticket was 13 years ago. But that was doing 86 in a 65 in an ungoverned semi so I have nothing to prove to anybody. I've obviously mellowed out considerably since then.

I have no problem working 10 minutes more over the course of a shift in order to reduce the risk and the stress. But like I said, that's just me. I'm trying to keep this job. By the way, running the way I do still leaves me with a 20-minute cushion on the longest leg of my current run. There's no pressure from the company to run like a maniac.

Big Dave, 00mustang and belch like this.