XPO | Dear Dave... I challenge you to motivate me!

Merdock

Kool-aid-aholic
Credits
OK Fellas, we all had the opportunity to write to Commander Dave last November.

So,
a) did you take advantage of the opportunity? If not, why?
b) did anyone get a reply?

I just notice a letter posted at our service center dated April 12th addressing this program. It seems there is a committee formed to address the 1100 plus letters Dave received.

My questioned to all Con-Way co-owners... what will it take for you to have a T.G.I.M. attitude? In other words, what would be the number one change in our company that would help motivate you to want to show up to work on Monday?

Dear Dave... can I expect a reply?

I sent in my reply to his letter. Still no reply from him or anyone else. It does not make me sad. I will be up there next month and I can ask in person.

Merdock said:
OK Fellas, we all had the opportunity to write to Commander Dave last November.

So,
a) did you take advantage of the opportunity? If not, why?
b) did anyone get a reply?

didn't know anything about it.

Brutus, he is talking about the letter that was sent out to us from Dave Mc dated October 21, 2005, via Portland Or., stamped dated Oct. 26, 2005, recieved by most of us on or about Nov. 1st. The question was " What if Con Way_____________________ " Here Dave Mc ask you to write as much as you would like about anything. His statment was that everyone must be involved in the process of change and innovation to make us a better company. I have to say that I sent him four pages of ways to improve, introduce, and all around invigorate not only the workers, but also the shareholders. Funny thing, even back then the letter came in a envelope with con-way in blue and the letter had a blue letterhead.

Lawofone said:
Brutus, he is talking about the letter that was sent out to us from Dave Mc dated October 21, 2005, via Portland Or., stamped dated Oct. 26, 2005, recieved by most of us on or about Nov. 1st. The question was " What if Con Way_____________________ " Here Dave Mc ask you to write as much as you would like about anything. His statment was that everyone must be involved in the process of change and innovation to make us a better company. I have to say that I sent him four pages of ways to improve, introduce, and all around invigorate not only the workers, but also the shareholders. Funny thing, even back then the letter came in a envelope with con-way in blue and the letter had a blue letterhead.
do not recall ever seeing anything like that.

Lawofone said:
I never recieved anything back either:Banned:

Lawofone said:

Yet we are another terminal in the dark that never saw that letter. Of course we would have bumped that 1100+ way up.. I think they are sceeeered of us. :nutkick:

As for us. We would like to sell sell sell and service our customers. But our hands are tied. Rollbacks in start times, several service failures daily, cutting our area down and interlining anything over 40 miles from the terminal. We give away several thousand pounds a week to the competition to interline because we want core markets only in areas where the population is under 150,000 people... yes we have no cities with a greater population, hence the reason we have a vast geography.. well till now.:duh:
Weird thing is we made money from the second month in business and have increased our revenue and numbers over the past 10 years. Now we are too good for those same customers that gave us the time of day and their freight when things were slow and we needed their business. Operating this way would make the baby Jesus cry.

I think we need to focus on being grateful and servicing ALL our customers the best we can and not forget the reason. They are the reason we are here... oh and chili on cold days would be nice!
And I almost forgot.. throw in one meeeeelion dollars and I am sooo there on MONDAY!:funky:

Gruven said:
Yet we are another terminal in the dark that never saw that letter. Of course we would have bumped that 1100+ way up.. I think they are sceeeered of us. :nutkick:

As for us. We would like to sell sell sell and service our customers. But our hands are tied. Rollbacks in start times, several service failures daily, cutting our area down and interlining anything over 40 miles from the terminal. We give away several thousand pounds a week to the competition to interline because we want core markets only in areas where the population is under 150,000 people... yes we have no cities with a greater population, hence the reason we have a vast geography.. well till now.:duh:
Weird thing is we made money from the second month in business and have increased our revenue and numbers over the past 10 years. Now we are too good for those same customers that gave us the time of day and their freight when things were slow and we needed their business. Operating this way would make the baby Jesus cry.

I think we need to focus on being grateful and servicing ALL our customers the best we can and not forget the reason. They are the reason we are here... oh and chili on cold days would be nice!
And I almost forgot.. throw in one meeeeelion dollars and I am sooo there on MONDAY!:funky:
Every customer is to be treated as our only customer.Uncle jerry.They need to go back to that thinking.Hail miller

To me Con-way is nothing but a big JOKE.I talk trash about Con-way every chance I get when I'm out on the road.This company has lost more accounts in the last six months and alot of drivers are sitting at home because of it.Dave M a man who should not be where he is cause he does a horrible job.He is self centered and arrogant.I have no respect for the man at all.As for the Con-way motto of pride some one needs to show me where it is at cause I don't see it.Linehaul does not have their prorities straight and dispatchers at most need replaced cause they don't follow procedures.Con-way is not what they make everyone think they are.They probabley have the worst record of bad drivers than Yellow and Fed Ex put together.I have done my research on this company and in my eyes they are a bunch of hypocrites from top to bottom of the management chain.ABF drivers have a better safety record by at least 21% and they hual more freight than Conway by at least 45%.UPS and Fed Ex have better safety records than Con-way.So don't let them tell you they are the best cause they are not.If you want to believe they are well you have issues just as much as they do.As long as Dave M is running the show well Con-way wi;; end up like CF.

NO LAST NAMES PLEASE

Nighthawk said:
To me Con-way is nothing but a big JOKE.I talk trash about Con-way every chance I get when I'm out on the road.This company has lost more accounts in the last six months and alot of drivers are sitting at home because of it.Dave M a man who should not be where he is cause he does a horrible job.He is self centered and arrogant.I have no respect for the man at all.As for the Con-way motto of pride some one needs to show me where it is at cause I don't see it.Linehaul does not have their prorities straight and dispatchers at most need replaced cause they don't follow procedures.Con-way is not what they make everyone think they are.They probabley have the worst record of bad drivers than Yellow and Fed Ex put together.I have done my research on this company and in my eyes they are a bunch of hypocrites from top to bottom of the management chain.ABF drivers have a better safety record by at least 21% and they hual more freight than Conway by at least 45%.UPS and Fed Ex have better safety records than Con-way.So don't let them tell you they are the best cause they are not.If you want to believe they are well you have issues just as much as they do.As long as Dave M is running the show well Con-way wi;; end up like CF.

Wow you sound very very disgruntled.
Because of what you just stated Con-Way is a joke? What is the perfect trucking company for you? If you find it, I will be right there behind you.
I'm sure you will be quitting soon.
Do you know what the whole pride program is all about from top to bottom? Maybe you are just told what you need to know. I've heard much more and some of it is not being adhered to. If it was than eveyone would embrace the pride program.
Maybe you have to make a stand and make your grievances known to your SCM so they can better manage the way your barn is being run, if that doesn't work I know for a fact that XGO would love to know and will step in. Mr. M will not let his brainchild program be tweaked or mis-managed.
I hope you have your facts correct and have used the chain of command.

It's easy to get caught up in the heat of freight movement moment and lose touch with people making yourself and myself feel like pieces of pawn crap.
I don't claim to know the facts. I observe and see that the good outweigh the bad.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys: I heard we raised our rates more than our competition. If customers don't care about getting the freight there next day than obviously they will go with the lower rate. It makes perfect business sense to go elsewhere to save a buck for awhile until service excellence and consistancy becomes priority with them.

Safety is a joke. I'll admit that. I hear of Stupid accidents because of common sense mistakes.
"I scratched a trailer" Failure to look at both sides while backing.
"I ripped the ICC bar off" Failure to check dock lock while pulling away.
and so on and so forth. People are always in a hurry thinking that they are under pressure. "Safety First?" some drivers don't practice it.

Lastly, Would you have the courage to stand in front of Mr. M and tell him exactly what you just said in your reply? Could you debate him with your facts?

dave m isnt the president of con-way, he's the president of con-way freight central. big difference.

Dockworker said:
Wow you sound very very disgruntled.
Because of what you just stated Con-Way is a joke? What is the perfect trucking company for you? If you find it, I will be right there behind you.
I'm sure you will be quitting soon.
Do you know what the whole pride program is all about from top to bottom? Maybe you are just told what you need to know. I've heard much more and some of it is not being adhered to. If it was than eveyone would embrace the pride program.
Maybe you have to make a stand and make your grievances known to your SCM so they can better manage the way your barn is being run, if that doesn't work I know for a fact that XGO would love to know and will step in. Mr. M will not let his brainchild program be tweaked or mis-managed.
I hope you have your facts correct and have used the chain of command.

It's easy to get caught up in the heat of freight movement moment and lose touch with people making yourself and myself feel like pieces of pawn crap.
I don't claim to know the facts. I observe and see that the good outweigh the bad.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys: I heard we raised our rates more than our competition. If customers don't care about getting the freight there next day than obviously they will go with the lower rate. It makes perfect business sense to go elsewhere to save a buck for awhile until service excellence and consistancy becomes priority with them.

Safety is a joke. I'll admit that. I hear of Stupid accidents because of common sense mistakes.
"I scratched a trailer" Failure to look at both sides while backing.
"I ripped the ICC bar off" Failure to check dock lock while pulling away.
and so on and so forth. People are always in a hurry thinking that they are under pressure. "Safety First?" some drivers don't practice it.

Lastly, Would you have the courage to stand in front of Mr. M and tell him exactly what you just said in your reply? Could you debate him with your facts?
You are very good,Better then the yes.So what's you're job at xgo.Don't worry much about this driver,I'm very sure he will be leaving soon to go to FXF as so many already have.I'm very sure you will take is place on a run when his service center is 5 to 9 drivers short.May be you should try to take this dsr by the hand and show him the right path.The path to co-ownership,team work,pride in the whole team and letting him see how his hard work helps our country grow economically.(big word for me).I have seen The light and I'm back on the right path of goodness.i EVEN STARTED TAKING TRAINEES OUT.Just please try to be more understanding of others and the way they feel.Words can be just as hurtful as knife to the gut.

gfy,

My job at XGO? You are a very funny guy.
I'm just as much in the frontline as you are. Remember "Words can be just as hurtful as a knife to the gut"
Assuming that Con-way is a joke is also hurtful to others that think the opposite.

Take this driver by the hand and show him the right path? I don't live or work in Ohio.
I can only give him my 2 cents of advice in here.
What else would you say to an abrupt accusation like that? "Oh poor driver, it's okay, it will get better" Only way to make it better is if he takes a professional stand to the right people.
I'll help anyone I meet that is struggling, straggling or feeling down about their job.
I'd even help you out if you needed it.

Right path of goodness? What? were you once a disgruntled worker? It would be nice to hear your rebirth story and help others overcome there anger towards the company.
I chose to work at Con-Way, and yes I do defend it when I see or hear negative comments that people feel are fact.
Not every barn is like Nighthawks. He needs to take his grievance through the chain of command and stir the pot correctly so that no retaliation will come from it.

It's good that you take trainees out. I don't know how many years you have in with the company but I would hope that you are not a newbie taking out a newbie. You guys would be specualting and assuming things about the company. Thats a double negative in my book.

I agree with you on losing drivers to FXF. Upper Management does need to look at the turnover rate in certain area's and why we lose them to any company and make adjustments when warranted.
However, there are too many variables, up front dollar amounts, advantages and disadvantages of working for Conway vs. FXF or anyother company and vice versa that they feel don't warrant a change. We are that competetive. Look at the whole picture first.
If we do make some kind of a change it will be because our competition is getting the edge.
I believe that lower management is to blame for the higher than normal turnover rate.
(Treat everyone as you would want to be treated, do your job description correctly, fairly efficiently and consistently)

I understand the feelings of others. I know how they feel when they feel crapped on. I went through it, I learned, I educated myself on it and I used my chain of command. I brought my facts to the table and it did make a difference and made management stay true to their job duties. You hold in a problem and start whining to the wrong people, it will never get resolved and just fester in you to the point of giving up.

Okay...Sorry for the long winded posts lately. I just feel like venting as much as the next guy.

Dockworker said:
gfy,

My job at XGO? You are a very funny guy.
I'm just as much in the frontline as you are. Remember "Words can be just as hurtful as a knife to the gut"
Assuming that Con-way is a joke is also hurtful to others that think the opposite.

Take this driver by the hand and show him the right path? I don't live or work in Ohio.
I can only give him my 2 cents of advice in here.
What else would you say to an abrupt accusation like that? "Oh poor driver, it's okay, it will get better" Only way to make it better is if he takes a professional stand to the right people.
I'll help anyone I meet that is struggling, straggling or feeling down about their job.
I'd even help you out if you needed it.

Right path of goodness? What? were you once a disgruntled worker? It would be nice to hear your rebirth story and help others overcome there anger towards the company.
I chose to work at Con-Way, and yes I do defend it when I see or hear negative comments that people feel are fact.
Not every barn is like Nighthawks. He needs to take his grievance through the chain of command and stir the pot correctly so that no retaliation will come from it.

It's good that you take trainees out. I don't know how many years you have in with the company but I would hope that you are not a newbie taking out a newbie. You guys would be specualting and assuming things about the company. Thats a double negative in my book.

I agree with you on losing drivers to FXF. Upper Management does need to look at the turnover rate in certain area's and why we lose them to any company and make adjustments when warranted.
However, there are too many variables, up front dollar amounts, advantages and disadvantages of working for Conway vs. FXF or anyother company and vice versa that they feel don't warrant a change. We are that competetive. Look at the whole picture first.
If we do make some kind of a change it will be because our competition is getting the edge.
I believe that lower management is to blame for the higher than normal turnover rate.
(Treat everyone as you would want to be treated, do your job description correctly, fairly efficiently and consistently)

I understand the feelings of others. I know how they feel when they feel crapped on. I went through it, I learned, I educated myself on it and I used my chain of command. I brought my facts to the table and it did make a difference and made management stay true to their job duties. You hold in a problem and start whining to the wrong people, it will never get resolved and just fester in you to the point of giving up.

Okay...Sorry for the long winded posts lately. I just feel like venting as much as the next guy.
WOW,Thank you

Nighthawk said:

NO LAST NAMES PLEASE

If the safety record at Con-way is so bad who is to blame? Management! Doubt it. They do not drive the trucks. The drivers do. So I would say the only ones that can change your safety record would be you. As for FXF, I have driven for them for a little over a year and their record isn't so great either. Hence the reason Con-way always wins the awards. Anyways hopefully you guys will keep jumping ship to FXF since apparently the grass is greener over here. I plane to goto Con-way. Remember one thing a corporation is a corporation the only thing that is different is the name on the door. Be safe!

TSMK said:
If the safety record at Con-way is so bad who is to blame? Management! Doubt it. They do not drive the trucks. The drivers do. So I would say the only ones that can change your safety record would be you. As for FXF, I have driven for them for a little over a year and their record isn't so great either. Hence the reason Con-way always wins the awards. Anyways hopefully you guys will keep jumping ship to FXF since apparently the grass is greener over here. I plane to goto Con-way. Remember one thing a corporation is a corporation the only thing that is different is the name on the door. Be safe!
You plan on leaving fxf for Conway?You must like taking a pay cut,Paying more for health care,Driving a striped down Sterling and more paper work.You our the first fxf driver I have ever heard of leaving them for us who didn't fired.The fxf driver I know love that place.You're picture will be in the next mile-marker.Our drivers can't wait go to fxf.Why in the name of god would you come here.I would go if I didn't have so many year's in here.No company is perfect,But holy sheep.