XPO | Dear Dave... I challenge you to motivate me!

Ask not what your company can do for you, but what you...

OK Fellas, we all had the opportunity to write to Commander Dave last November.

So,
a) did you take advantage of the opportunity? If not, why?
b) did anyone get a reply?

I just notice a letter posted at our service center dated April 12th addressing this program. It seems there is a committee formed to address the 1100 plus letters Dave received.

My questioned to all Con-Way co-owners... what will it take for you to have a T.G.I.M. attitude? In other words, what would be the number one change in our company that would help motivate you to want to show up to work on Monday?

It's hard to believe it's been almost a year since I posted this. In all my years this last one has by far held the most change within our company. But, we all continue to enjoy some incredible job security. Here in the Great Lakes area (automakers-ville), everyone around us faces layoffs and benefit cuts. Count your blessings fellas.

I received my ICP plan statement for 2007 and you may feel you're entitled to it but it truly is an incentive to try harder. One of the biggest problems in setting goals for any group, be it a sports team or a group of employees, is they fail to be individual goals. This meaning you can stand around and say everyone else is at fault for not attaining any specific goal set.

So, here's my challenge for everyone, focus on doing things right each day, pick one fundamental part of your daily job description and do your best. If you are...

a city driver, make the conscious effort to get a sales lead a day. Most days it's tough, you are only thinking of getting in and out of your customers, but take the time to think about our business levels. You can make a difference.

a linehaul driver, take the time and correct that shipment you noticed on the reship dock someone else neglected to re-skid, re-wrap or set down within a trailer.

and all of us can get out the gate a little quicker, offering everyone a little less opinion and gossip.

Dear Dave... can I expect a reply?

I use to be one that would straighten up others messes...but no longer. I found that many, even those in supervision don't want their mess cleaned up. If you try to effect change at x-- it will drive you crazy or lazy. The atmosphere is not conducive to change due in part to management style. Between that and all the people that finally gave up trying, you've got a terminal full of employees that don't care.....Oh I wish it was not the case, but the, "my way or highway", form of management takes it's toll on passion and creativity. You'd spent 1/2 your day cleaning up after people.

I use to be one that would straighten up others messes...but no longer. I found that many, even those in supervision don't want their mess cleaned up. If you try to effect change at x-- it will drive you crazy or lazy. The atmosphere is not conducive to change due in part to management style. Between that and all the people that finally gave up trying, you've got a terminal full of employees that don't care.....Oh I wish it was not the case, but the, "my way or highway", form of management takes it's toll on passion and creativity. You'd spent 1/2 your day cleaning up after people.

So, back to my original question of one year ago, what will it take to change your attitude? Not to change the world or the company, but to get one sales lead or correct only one situation during reship? Not a goal to change our management style, but a personal goal to do just one thing better tomorrow? Something within your reach, something you can control?

So, back to my original question of one year ago, what will it take to change your attitude? Not to change the world or the company, but to get one sales lead or correct only one situation during reship? Not a goal to change our management style, but a personal goal to do just one thing better tomorrow? Something within your reach, something you can control?

Fact is I do give an honest days work for a days wage, and while I do correct some things I'm not going above and beyond. What will it take to change my attitude. Sorry to have to tell you this but management has much to do with my attitude. If management can't manage in such a way as to bring employees to the place where they WANT to work for them the attitudes will remain. Its hard to motivate employees to go the extra mile when their compensation package is being reduced at the same time upper management is raking in millions in bonuses. As the old english proverb says.... "wolde you bothe eate your cake, and have your cake?"

It's hard to believe it's been almost a year since I posted this. In all my years this last one has by far held the most change within our company. But, we all continue to enjoy some incredible job security. Here in the Great Lakes area (automakers-ville), everyone around us faces layoffs and benefit cuts. Count your blessings fellas.

I received my ICP plan statement for 2007 and you may feel you're entitled to it but it truly is an incentive to try harder. One of the biggest problems in setting goals for any group, be it a sports team or a group of employees, is they fail to be individual goals. This meaning you can stand around and say everyone else is at fault for not attaining any specific goal set.

So, here's my challenge for everyone, focus on doing things right each day, pick one fundamental part of your daily job description and do your best. If you are...

a city driver, make the conscious effort to get a sales lead a day. Most days it's tough, you are only thinking of getting in and out of your customers, but take the time to think about our business levels. You can make a difference.

a linehaul driver, take the time and correct that shipment you noticed on the reship dock someone else neglected to re-skid, re-wrap or set down within a trailer.

and all of us can get out the gate a little quicker, offering everyone a little less opinion and gossip.
Well said. Managment says it's a matter of "PRIDE" I say it's a matter each one of ours personal integrity that will get this job done.

I do agree that it seems that alot of companies are not treating employees correctly anymore, but by not keeping a persons attitude in check seems like it only affects the person themselves. We don't have to stoop to the same level as we have been treated. Its not any different than a form of road rage in a way, by not responding in the same manner as we have been treated does set you apart.