Estes | Dec 1 st

Pathfinder we are havin our meeting Monday. Hub got cancelled and opened another M&T. 1 to leave @ 9pm & 1 @ 10pm. Now the Hub driver will be able to bid on a linehaul run. Now, go back a couple of months ago, were you able to bid on a linehaul run ??????? That's what I'm sayin, nothing is right about our bid system, go TOTAL COMPANY SENIORITY and things cannot be SCREWED UP. But that just my opinion.

I think as long as you ran line, which includes everything except P&D you should bid how long you have in that dept. I would have nothing happen to me so it does not make a bit of difference to me personally. I think we should only have 2 kinds of drivers anyways Linehaul and P&D. If you drove 10 years hub and now there is no hub you should get 10 years of service time for bids. Bidding company wide would give us a better layoff policy instead of laying off a good driver with years of service because he is line and keeping a POS P&D driver with 1 month is not fair. So if it would come to that then count my vote for company sen bids. Then again I know some P&D guys that can not drive line :TR10driving03:

I have 8 years in Hub and only 8 months in Line-haul. Because we didnt get any new hub runs and I could not bump anyone that's already a hub driver, I am stuck in extra-board now. I hear the argument that "well at least you still have a job" that's true. But is it fair for a Line-haul driver with only 1 year of time, be able to get a schedule run before me?

We have a driver that's been with the company 15? years. Started with linehaul then switched to hub for a few years then went back to extraboard. He is now at the bottom.

I have 8 years in Hub and only 8 months in Line-haul. Because we didnt get any new hub runs and I could not bump anyone that's already a hub driver, I am stuck in extra-board now. I hear the argument that "well at least you still have a job" that's true. But is it fair for a Line-haul driver with only 1 year of time, be able to get a schedule run before me?

That to me path is the sticky point, I know I first hired off the street into a very short hub-run that nobody including city wanted. I saw how I would be trapped in the hub because of the seniority set-up so the first extra line haul shot I got I took. Ran xtra board for 2yrs. and got a short line haul schedule finally, ran it 5 yrs. and now have a 600+ meet/turn that works great. So ya know the best thing to do is to get out of the hub as quick as you can. I myself think hub and line haul should be one board. But if that does not change, ya gotta get out of the hub and into the bunkrooms quick.

If your getting a pay check from Estes, then IMO you should use your company senority within classification. Why should a guy with 10 years but only 2 on line haul be told thanks for your 10 yrs but the first 8 don't mean sh$t. Some guys wait years to run linehaul.

That would make it hard enough for a city driver to get into line haul because you would have to have an extra run that went through all the line haul drivers before it came available to P&D, then top senority P&D that's interested get's a crack at it. After 90 days give the guy his senority back. After all he's done what has been ask of him regardless of classification since he's hired. We all work for the same company and we all rely on each other. No line haul = no P&D work. No P&D = nothing for line haul to pull. It's time senority starts to mean something IMO.

I agree KD, but they aren't going to NOT allow the city drivers to have something to bid on because if a city driver remains in the city for 25 years and gets to where he can't work the city anymore cause he can't phycally handle it, they want him to have a place to go and NOT be away from his family. I don'nt agree with that, but thats the way they look at it.I was with Cooper and my run got cut and had to run xtra board for 3 years. Didn't complain or whine that I had to do it. But, Pathfinder had all that time in on hub and the told him "That doesn't matter". Thats not fair.

yes..RMan, your point is well taken, and it is a good one, about older P/D men needing an option because of health reasons. I know there are different situations, but what I see alot of, is men in P/D and HUB passing on shots at line haul for years because they did'nt want to either run nights or stay away from home or both.

At some point in a man's life he must look farther down the road than just the next week or year. So I feel like in those situations the driver has to be held at least partly accountable for his own decision to pass on line haul runs (even though it was extra board) many times and remain in P/D or HUB. IMO

Is it right for a Hub driver that has been here 1 year and I have been here for eight to get the Hub run before me.

I would have taken a Hub run of ours, but us Linehaul guys can not do that. Which of course you can probably see I think it is a bunch of B.S., but hey I gotta job, just won't see the wife and kids much except a day and a half out of the week.
J.T. got his way on this one, loves sending us all out on the road.

This trucking board probably only makes up around 1% of our drivers & out of the 1% It looks like it's near 100% of these drivers that thinks this seniority system sucks. Even the drivers that this doesn't affect seem to disapprove. Imagine what the results would be with a company wide vote. In a courtroom the jury makes the right decission most of the time. It is clear to me that something needs to be done, Hands down. I just hate to see a hard working hub driver with years of seniority have to take a back seat to a new kid on the block. That's wrong anyway you look at it.......I know at least your working right.

Whether you agree or not with their seniority system,you know how it works so you just have to play the game according to their rules.I lost 2 years to on the hub before I went to the road. I knew the rules ,but I made that choice. Nobody kept me there. So there no reason to complain about it.Play their game to their rules.

We have a driver that's been with the company 15? years. Started with linehaul then switched to hub for a few years then went back to extraboard. He is now at the bottom.

He's at the bottom until his 90 days are up. After that he gets ALL his L/H seniority back. That's company rules.

Whether you agree or not with their seniority system,you know how it works so you just have to play the game according to their rules.I lost 2 years to on the hub before I went to the road. I knew the rules ,but I made that choice. Nobody kept me there. So there no reason to complain about it.Play their game to their rules.

Nothing in our Code of Conduct or Policy and Procedure Manual says that things cannot change, only that THEY can change it when they want. I will NEVER quit trying to change things to make them better for US and the company. I have almost 10 yrs. with this company and they have been very good to me and the majority of their employees. I don't care what anyone says, bids should be done by Total Company seniority. That would eleminate any doubts or trouble with bidding. If you don't have enough time with the company then you start out doing the things we had to do- city-hub- L/H or xtra board.

you know you guys why out east have a point. but that would just be like Conway. would we bid for a run every night. what about trucks, would we then slip seat. you gotta be careful what you ask for. where/when would it stop ???

Going thru all the posts I've come to the conclusion that we old timers who 'thought' they could semi-retire by leaving p&d and going to line haul are screwed. So it doesn't matter how much time you have you are at the bottom even after 90 days? I can go with the probation period but other than all the other b/s stipulations it's just wrong! :thumbsdown:Where is the petition?Where do I sign.:

I don't like the hub being seperate on senoirity. Those guys are running the line at night like line-haul but I don't think total co. seniority is right either because the guys running nights and staying in bunk rooms like I did before i got a schedule, should get first crack at line-haul bids over city guys that have been at home at night with their familys. Let the city man that wants line-haul pay his dues on the board like the rest of us.

Absolutely. That's the way it works out here. I was PD before I went on the LH-EB. I actually wanted to go on the EB though, call me crazy.

I don't know how your hub runs work or if they are really any different than LH, so I have no comment on that. I do know they are generally shorter runs.

Man where are you guys from that love your job and what do you do. Us Linehaul guys are gettin screwed, just talked to a couple guys on Thanksgiving day waiting for 2 and 4 hours for loads or empties or whatever the hell Central can or will not figure out. I got home today at 12 pm gee nice thanksgiving. "Tired and wore out" gotta take a nap. You know if your Linehaul your whole day is ruined.
This new system is gonna be horrible, All I can think about is the good old days, hookin up to a 53 and cruisin down the road, and spending about 15 minutes in a terminal, this 2 to 3 hour crap sucks.

Man where are you guys from that love your job and what do you do. Us Linehaul guys are gettin screwed, just talked to a couple guys on Thanksgiving day waiting for 2 and 4 hours for loads or empties or whatever the hell Central can or will not figure out. I got home today at 12 pm gee nice thanksgiving. "Tired and wore out" gotta take a nap. You know if your Linehaul your whole day is ruined.
This new system is gonna be horrible, All I can think about is the good old days, hookin up to a 53 and cruisin down the road, and spending about 15 minutes in a terminal, this 2 to 3 hour crap sucks.

Driver your in bad shape if that's all you have to complain about. Ask a LTL hand that just got laid off after 20+yrs. on the line if he would mind a little waiting in the winter during a slow down if he could just have his job back.

Ask a driver that's been stuck for years with a common T/L carrier that keeps him away from home 2-3 weeks and sits at customers docks for 8-10 hrs. trying to load or unload for .42 cpm. and see if he would like to do nothing but drop/hook five days for .53 cpm like you do.

Ask a O/O that has lost his truck because the powers that be jacked his fuel cost to the moon and the rates barely moved if he would like to have your deal.

Driver you gotta get things in perspective or you will always be miserable.......:flamed:

Driver your in bad shape if that's all you have to complain about. Ask a LTL hand that just got laid off after 20+yrs. on the line if he would mind a little waiting in the winter during a slow down if he could just have his job back.

Ask a driver that's been stuck for years with a common T/L carrier that keeps him away from home 2-3 weeks and sits at customers docks for 8-10 hrs. trying to load or unload for .42 cpm. and see if he would like to do nothing but drop/hook five days for .53 cpm like you do.

Ask a O/O that has lost his truck because the powers that be jacked his fuel cost to the moon and the rates barely moved if he would like to have your deal.

Driver you gotta get things in perspective or you will always be miserable.......:flamed:

Get ready for more of this kind of attitude. Management is going to ram this economy situation and the problems of YRCW down our throats in an attempt to gain sympathy. I guess we should all suck up the free time we give and just be thankful we are not child laborers in Bangladesh, being exploited to the tune of 10 cents an hour, right? I guess we should just be grateful we are not dodging improvised explosive devices, like over in Iraq, right? Just my prediction. TE out....

Get ready for more of this kind of attitude. Management is going to ram this economy situation and the problems of YRCW down our throats in an attempt to gain sympathy. I guess we should all suck up the free time we give and just be thankful we are not child laborers in Bangladesh, being exploited to the tune of 10 cents an hour, right? I guess we should just be grateful we are not dodging improvised explosive devices, like over in Iraq, right? Just my prediction. TE out....

Spoken like a true spoiled brat....yep we should be grateful that we are not an exploited child in Bangladesh or dodging explosives in Iraq(I know some guys that are) and I'm sure the people all over this world in those situations would trade places with you Elvis. But they are not real to you nor do you care about them or you would'nt even think about comparing them to our little problems.
So cry on TE...one day you might see what a real hardship is and these problems will seem very small.