Yellow | December 2008 Unofficial YRCW Ballot Survey Poll

forestgump

TB Lurker
Credits
a whole lot of nothing.

in every situation in life there are winners and there are losers. who will win here and who will lose. Winners include our wonderful CEO, management, dock workers, and office personel. Losers are the drivers.

One. Union scale will be less than starting wages at Fed Ex and R&L

Two. If this ship goes down there will not be enough capacity at the remaining carriers to pick up what YRC used to haul. Everybody else will be hiring to fill demand.

Three. If we accept wage cuts then the other carriers will match as well. If yrc closes and you go somewhere else you'll have the "concession" follow you.

Four. what is the point in paying dues to make less than the non union companies?

So if you want to keep overpaid dockworkers around then by all means vote yes. For you city drivers ask the customers dock people what they make compared to YRC dock people. I bet its less than half. Now compare what you as a driver make the non union drivers. I bet you its pretty much in line with what you make.

Management wont be needed at the remaining carriers as they already have management in place that seem more competent than the dream team we have in overland park.

Concessions have almost never worked in the long run.

The same problem that yrc had before the concessions will still be there. Too much debt and too much capacity.

Yrc has already done the following to stay in business. Massive layoffs. others are laying off but not nearly as much as yrc is. The issued more stock, diluting the existing shares. they have collartalized the debt. They basically have no assets left. Everything is mortgaged to the hills. Yrc is 4 billion behind in pension payments.

What difference will it make if yrc stays open X amount of time longer? Its not like the economy will coming roaring back whether we agree to the concessions or not. Seriously if you lose your job now or six months from now is it really going to change anything? you still are out of a job.

For those of you who think the pension needs to be saved and that taking a pay cut now will help to save it are walking blind without a cane. The pension is broke. Dont blame me i didnt break it. Most pension funds invest in the stock market. Stocks are way down, some like yrc are down 90%. I got news for you folks the market isnt coming back anytime soon. When the market crashed in 1929 it didnt hit those levels again until the 1950's.

YRC is already just about buying freight. We are getting close to the 86 percent discounts CF offered right before they closed the door. How in the world would you then raise prices in this economy once you have lowered them so much already??

a whole lot of nothing.

in every situation in life there are winners and there are losers. who will win here and who will lose. Winners include our wonderful CEO, management, dock workers, and office personel. Losers are the drivers.

Two. If this ship goes down there will not be enough capacity at the remaining carriers to pick up what YRC used to haul. Everybody else will be hiring to fill demand.

Three. If we accept wage cuts then the other carriers will match as well. If yrc closes and you go somewhere else you'll have the "concession" follow you.

Four. what is the point in paying dues to make less than the non union companies?

So if you want to keep overpaid dockworkers around then by all means vote yes. For you city drivers ask the customers dock people what they make compared to YRC dock people. I bet its less than half. Now compare what you as a driver make the non union drivers. I bet you its pretty much in line with what you make.

Management wont be needed at the remaining carriers as they already have management in place that seem more competent than the dream team we have in overland park.

The same problem that yrc had before the concessions will still be there. Too much debt and too much capacity.

Yrc has already done the following to stay in business. Massive layoffs. others are laying off but not nearly as much as yrc is. The issued more stock, diluting the existing shares. they have collartalized the debt. They basically have no assets left. Everything is mortgaged to the hills. Yrc is 4 billion behind in pension payments.

What difference will it make if yrc stays open X amount of time longer? Its not like the economy will coming roaring back whether we agree to the concessions or not. Seriously if you lose your job now or six months from now is it really going to change anything? you still are out of a job.

For those of you who think the pension needs to be saved and that taking a pay cut now will help to save it are walking blind without a cane. The pension is broke. Dont blame me i didnt break it. Most pension funds invest in the stock market. Stocks are way down, some like yrc are down 90%. I got news for you folks the market isnt coming back anytime soon. When the market crashed in 1929 it didnt hit those levels again until the 1950's.

YRC is already just about buying freight. We are getting close to the 86 percent discounts CF offered right before they closed the door. How in the world would you then raise prices in this economy once you have lowered them so much already??

I agree with all except buying the freight, there is no evidence of that in the COL market, we priced our self out of most of my customer base (Groveport Ohio area). We had two trailers a day from Kubota and they asked for a 19% frt rate increase, now ups freight hauls it. I could go on and on naming big customers we've lost.

a whole lot of nothing.

Well then if you think things are not going to get any better jump off the ship and let the ones that think we have a chance to right this ship try to do it...you haven't even heard any proposal, everything is speculation. I recommend when you go look for a job learn how to say...Would you like fries with that.... meaning there are no jobs right now and if YRCW goes down the market will be overflowing with drivers...which means lower wages for everyone union and non-union......this was direct to your post not you personally:1036316054:

Well then if you think things are not going to get any better jump off the ship and let the ones that think we have a chance to right this ship try to do it...you haven't even heard any proposal, everything is speculation. I recommend when you go look for a job learn how to say...Would you like fries with that.... meaning there are no jobs right now and if YRCW goes down the market will be overflowing with drivers...which means lower wages for everyone union and non-union......this was direct to your post not you personally:1036316054:
Just to make a point. I beleive you have stated vote yes sight unseen just as he has already voted no. Nuff said? :smilie_132:

ok well what are the choices?no outta business.....yes try to right the ship.....my point I was trying to make is what choice do you or I have now ?

ok well what are the choices?no outta business.....yes try to right the ship.....my point I was trying to make is what choice do you or I have now ?
We probably don't have a choice but I will see the plan then vote what I think is best for all uf us. :1036316054:

i disagree. i think wages for drivers will be fine. The supply will go up as well as demand. the remaining carriers will not want to be left out of the yrc pie. nor will they want to spend a small fortune on overtime to pick up the massive amount of freight that will be up for grabs.

I agree with all except buying the freight, there is no evidence of that in the COL market, we priced our self out of most of my customer base (Groveport Ohio area). We had two trailers a day from Kubota and they asked for a 19% frt rate increase, now ups freight hauls it. I could go on and on naming big customers we've lost.

please dont list those customers. unfortunatly the sharks are already swimming in the water. ups and others have much deeper pockets in this race to the bottom to whether the storm.

a whole lot of nothing.

I think your post is way out of line....Please don't group the dockworkers in with management, office ect....I AM a dockworker ..have been for 19 years with Roadway, and I have paid my dues to this company...over and over and over.....been screwed right along with everyone else, and I don't feel that I'm overpaid.....I still don't know which way I'm going to vote, but would definitely like to see concessions FROM EVERYONE, not just the teamsters.....remember these ARE TRYING TIMES and we're ALL teamsters working for the same company.....it's unfair of you to single out a group because of our job class.... otherwise, excellent post and I agree with all your other points....nuff said, the g-man

i disagree. i think wages for drivers will be fine. The supply will go up as well as demand. the remaining carriers will not want to be left out of the yrc pie. nor will they want to spend a small fortune on overtime to pick up the massive amount of freight that will be up for grabs.

That is a great theory. But take a look at history. When CF went under how many of those guys actually got on with union company's? Typically, a former teamster will be passed up on in favor of someone with a union background at most company's. If a compnay has a choice of hiring a non or a teamster they will more often than not go with the non. Especially at a non union company. And ABF and UPSF won't be able to pick up everyone.

So, while the demand for drivers will go up you are forgetting that there are plenty of unemployed non guys sitting at home just waiting for this and you can be damn sure that more of them will be hired than us.

And lets not forget this. Voting NO WILL CLOSE THE DOORS sooner rather than later....period. You can spin it how ever you want, but that is a fact. Voting yes will give us a chance and keep us employed a little longer. Do you really want to be looking for a job right now? If you do then go ahead and jump ship and get that head start on the rest of us. I will be using common sense here which says that being employed is better than unemployed, so I will be voting YES.

If this gets voted down, you guys that vote NO have fun explaining to your family that you had a choice to try and help preserve your job and the jobs of others, but felt that it was more important to try and stick it to the man.

i would think that all employees at other union carriers are hoping this doesn't go through. if the teamsters give in to yellow, then the others will come back and want the teamsters to cut the pay as well. why should a driver at abf make more than a driver for yrc? also, non union carriers will then be able to cut their pay scale, since the teamsters will be paying less. and they don't need to ask anyone if they can do it, they just will. i can't believe this hasn't hit the mainstream news media yet. this will have ripple effects across the entire country.

That is a great theory. But take a look at history. When CF went under how many of those guys actually got on with union company's? Typically, a former teamster will be passed up on in favor of someone with a union background at most company's. If a compnay has a choice of hiring a non or a teamster they will more often than not go with the non. Especially at a non union company. And ABF and UPSF won't be able to pick up everyone.

So, while the demand for drivers will go up you are forgetting that there are plenty of unemployed non guys sitting at home just waiting for this and you can be damn sure that more of them will be hired than us.

And lets not forget this. Voting NO WILL CLOSE THE DOORS sooner rather than later....period. You can spin it how ever you want, but that is a fact. Voting yes will give us a chance and keep us employed a little longer. Do you really want to be looking for a job right now? If you do then go ahead and jump ship and get that head start on the rest of us. I will be using common sense here which says that being employed is better than unemployed, so I will be voting YES.

If this gets voted down, you guys that vote NO have fun explaining to your family that you had a choice to try and help preserve your job and the jobs of others, but felt that it was more important to try and stick it to the man.

its not about sticking it to the man. its about economic reality. yrc has biten off way more than it could chew. Bill just had to have his empire. yellow roadway and holland would be much better off if they were never combined under the yrc umbrella. yrc took on way too much debt. that debt is mainly whats killing yrc. everything bill has done to this point has not helped. bill and his team are trying to save their own asses.

as far as the non union cos not hiring us. where else are they going to find people?

as i posted earlier is it ever a good time to lose your job. what difference will it make if its now or later you still dont have a job.

as for me i will stick around til the paychecks stop cashing.

I think your post is way out of line....Please don't group the dockworkers in with management, office ect....I AM a dockworker ..have been for 19 years with Roadway, and I have paid my dues to this company...over and over and over.....been screwed right along with everyone else, and I don't feel that I'm overpaid.....I still don't know which way I'm going to vote, but would definitely like to see concessions FROM EVERYONE, not just the teamsters.....remember these ARE TRYING TIMES and we're ALL teamsters working for the same company.....it's unfair of you to single out a group because of our job class.... otherwise, excellent post and I agree with all your other points....nuff said, the g-man

im sure you work hard for your money gman. im not doubting how you have paid your dues or your contribution to the team. my point was the huge difference in pay between dockworkers at a teamster shop and dockworkers at other companies not just in freight. that puts us a huge disadvantage with other carriers. most of my customers dock workers make 9-14 dollars an hour with bennys not even close to what teamsters make. its economics not personal please try to understand that.

maybe you should pass those guys your b/a's card and have them give him a call . maybe they are sick of working 2 jobs to pay the rent . unionizing might be the answer for them

its not about sticking it to the man. its about economic reality. yrc has biten off way more than it could chew. Bill just had to have his empire. yellow roadway and holland would be much better off if they were never combined under the yrc umbrella. yrc took on way too much debt. that debt is mainly whats killing yrc. everything bill has done to this point has not helped. bill and his team are trying to save their own asses.

as far as the non union cos not hiring us. where else are they going to find people?

as i posted earlier is it ever a good time to lose your job. what difference will it make if its now or later you still dont have a job.

as for me i will stick around til the paychecks stop cashing.

Where are they going to get people? Are you serious? I'm not sure what the exact unemployement figures are today, but I'm guessing there are plenty of people sitting at home who would love to have a job. And I bet all those owner sitting waiting on work would take a job as well. There will be plenty of people to choose from. And the old timers......please. No one will give them a chance. Why would anyone hire someone who may only be around for a couple years and then retire.

The difference between now and later as far as losing your job is a no brainer. Why would you want to lose your job NOW when you have the opportunity to prolong it. In the meantime it gives you a chance to look for something else and if a its a good amount of time it could possibly get past the recession, so when you are looking there are actually jobs available.

This is pretty simple. If you think these non's, ABF, and UPSF are just going to jump at the chance to hire some disgruntled teamster then you really have no idea and I wish you luck because you are going to need it.

85% of something is a hell of a lot better than nothing. 85% helps pay the mortage, 85% buys food, 85% pays a car payment and gets the kids clothes. Explain to me what NOTHING pays for? And I imagine that 85% is about twice what unemployment pays and if I'm not mistaken unemployment doesn't pay your health and welfare.

Now its not only pay cuts, now add pensions and benefit
cuts:deal: I thought Hoffa said no give back in h&W or pensions!!!!!!!

Neither YRC nor the Teamsters disclosed terms of the tentative agreement. But the company had said previously that it was seeking pay cuts, and Teamsters spokesman Bret Caldwell said the deal focused on pay, pensions and benefits

Trucking company YRC makes deal with Teamsters

What?????

a whole lot of nothing.

We are in a tremendously bad financial position. It is all managements fault. It is management's fault for waste, poor planning, bad investments, etc. It still doesn't change the fact that if we don't help them money wise right now, they will close up sooner than the latter. I would rather milk it for 6 more months if we can, maybe the economy will pick up, maybe it won't, but in 6 months we will all be better prepared for the unemployment line. Think about the money you will have to pay for your insurance under cobra, think about what unemployment pays, look into all that before you vote. I would rather give up a couple three dollars an hour for maybe ever, than be out of a job tomorrow. There are no driving jobs out there boys. All the other trucking companies will gobble up our freight. Do you think they will become so busy that they will definitely hire you to help them. Most companies have men on layoff, men working less than 8 hour days, less than 5 days a week, our demise will only allow other companies to max out their workforce. The economy is so bad that you think you will be able to go over to ABF and get hired at a local barn nearest you, how many do you think they will need? Not 300 drivers, not going to happen like the old days. We will all be dispersed singularly fighting for our own survival. Do you think the non unions want us, or need us? You are wrong. Don't be stupid. Prolong the possible inevitable for as long as we can, because the alternative really sucks. Good luck to all. Management sucks, that can't be changed by us, so we should stop complaining about them. This is about our own personal survival. 85% of our union wages with the insurance covered for our families is better financially than any other alternative, Period!!!!! Call your accountant or someone you know who is good at math and have them figure it out on paper. Drop the egos and hardcore union stance so we all have a chance at survival. Thanks.

I'm with you regular.There is no work at all out there.Just pick up the classified and read.I just made my 25th year and i hoping to make 30.I too have a lot of obligations i. e. mortgage,collage tuition,car payment,etc.I just may vote yes after hearing the proposal.But i also think concessions should be made across the board from the ceo down to the janitor!

I'm with you regular.There is no work at all out there.Just pick up the classified and read.I just made my 25th year and i hoping to make 30.I too have a lot of obligations i. e. mortgage,collage tuition,car payment,etc.I just may vote yes after hearing the proposal.But i also think concessions should be made across the board from the ceo down to the janitor!

Whatever we do...whatever we decide.....I will always remember what my father told me, "it is always easier to find a job when you have a job" We are in a terrible bind with this economy. There aren't a lot of jobs out there now. I plan to tread water (hopefully) until the economy improves. At that point Big R or YRCW, whatever you want to call where you work, can kiss where the sun don't shine. None of us owe this company a thing. We are all just numbers to them.

Teamsters Union or MEasters Union?

We are in a tremendously bad financial position. It is all managements fault. It is management's fault for waste, poor planning, bad investments, etc. It still doesn't change the fact that if we don't help them money wise right now, they will close up sooner than the latter. I would rather milk it for 6 more months if we can, maybe the economy will pick up, maybe it won't, but in 6 months we will all be better prepared for the unemployment line. Think about the money you will have to pay for your insurance under cobra, think about what unemployment pays, look into all that before you vote. I would rather give up a couple three dollars an hour for maybe ever, than be out of a job tomorrow. There are no driving jobs out there boys. All the other trucking companies will gobble up our freight. Do you think they will become so busy that they will definitely hire you to help them. Most companies have men on layoff, men working less than 8 hour days, less than 5 days a week, our demise will only allow other companies to max out their workforce. The economy is so bad that you think you will be able to go over to ABF and get hired at a local barn nearest you, how many do you think they will need? Not 300 drivers, not going to happen like the old days. We will all be dispersed singularly fighting for our own survival. Do you think the non unions want us, or need us? You are wrong. Don't be stupid. Prolong the possible inevitable for as long as we can, because the alternative really sucks. Good luck to all. Management sucks, that can't be changed by us, so we should stop complaining about them. This is about our own personal survival. 85% of our union wages with the insurance covered for our families is better financially than any other alternative, Period!!!!! Call your accountant or someone you know who is good at math and have them figure it out on paper. Drop the egos and hardcore union stance so we all have a chance at survival. Thanks.

A "YES" vote is a sell-out to every Teamsters Union worker that went before us, who went on strike for weeks or months, surviving as best they could and not backing down.

A "YES" vote will let the world know that the Teamsters Union is nothing but a shadow of itself. A "paper-tiger" to be ignored and discarded.

Workers all over America will suffer, Union and non-union, both, if we back down from this fight.