Decision making day

Discussion in 'Saia' started by runawaytrain, Oct 10, 2017.

1. runawaytrain

runawaytrain Wear their scorn with pride.

I find it funny that they come up with this clever play on words in regards to camera infractions. The only decision in many cases is does the driver stay or quit. When you put someone on notice that the next time your fired it makes the decision pretty easy.

2. joes bar and grill

joes bar and grill Well-Known Member

SO you got "coached" and given an ultimatum ?

3. runawaytrain

Yes, but I want to wait a little bit before I go into specifics.

4. bigbuck

bigbuck Active Member

5. CenturyClass

CenturyClass Lead-side Recruit

I find it shocking that a company apologist for Saia and one who was all in favor of the cameras being great with no downsides is being threatened with termination from them. I remember recent posts, also saying you were such an expert at not setting them off.. But atleast you are frank about it

Cruel world I tell ya. Best of luck.

6. steering_ wheel_holder

steering_ wheel_holder New Member

Before these cameras, I always seen myself retiring with this company and I always spoke highly and recommended people to apply but not anymore. I was suspended multiple days for having to run a red light because I couldn't stop in time without ending up in the intersection. I triggered the camera because I hit the brakes the brakes hard and attempted to stop but someone sitting in an office that has no idea what it takes to stop a fully loaded tractor trailer thought otherwise. I'm sure that's happened to most drivers. So now in the future and to save myself lost income and possibly my job, I shouldn't even make an attempt to stop. How is that safe driving? I never got into trucking to have someone looking over my shoulder and to tell me how to drive from an office. Or to have to worry every day if I'll still have a job or if I'll be getting suspended every time I end my shift. Who needs that headache? I'll take my loyalty, my 15+ years of safe driving, my clean CDL and my 0 CSA score and go where I'm trusted and valued.

Fonzie likes this.
  7. runawaytrain

I am an expert. But I'm not perfect. I will tell the story at the right time.

8. joes bar and grill

joes bar and grill Well-Known Member

Not looking for specifics, I just find it odd that the company cheerleader is in the doghouse.

9. runawaytrain

I wouldn't open up myself for attack unless I had a reason. Just hold on Joe. I'm going private with some.

10. Dracula

Dracula Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If the company loses your service and commitment, then its their loss. You can go anywhere and work or not. Good luck and keep us posted.

11. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly Drat, Double Drat, and Triple Drat!

You mean to tell me if I toe the company line and have the ability to walk into the boss's office and deal with him directly, that isn't enough to save my job when I slip up?

Good luck to you Train with whatever your situation. Thanks for taking the time to tell your story so others may learn from your misfortune.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  12. bigbuck

bigbuck Active Member

There is so much information that gets lost when you just look at the camera and not the totality of the situation. If you had to run a light because you couldn’t stop, then that is the safest and best way to handle that situation. You are clearly a pro with an impeccable record, and it seems to me (from the outside) that they don’t give any weight to your opinion.

It is a sad state of affairs. It only invites more hassle. I guess you could have fabricated some sort of lie and weaseled out of it. But that is a lack of integrity as well. I wish you luck.

13. Pooty tang

Pooty tang Member

Its a double standard at this place , not all drivers are subject to the cameras because not all trucks have cameras in them. Yet they want to discipline those that deal with the cameras everyday. While the others go across the yard talking on their phones.

14. truckdriver

truckdriver Active Member

I told the HST ATM (Assistant Terminal Manger) the same thing after the yard hostler ( handheld in his hand and Bluetooth headset on ) almost ran me over walking across the yard.....shrugged his shoulders and walked off. That's were Management is .... .

15. renegaderider

renegaderider Active Member

I think that was drivers bigest fear, when freight slow down and we got more drivers than freight it's too easy to say lets turn to the cameras for help. I have heard drivers that left say that so they jumped ship

truckdriver likes this.
  16. Pooty tang

Pooty tang Member

Not sure they will have that luxury this winter, alot of drivers have already left , some very good ones at that. And some drivers with some years under their belt said screw this.

17. truckdriver

I can guarantee You that will happen the next time they have a layoff. .... too many company in fractions.

18. truckdriver

Don't want to pour salt in a wound.....but I told you after a couple of years around here you would have a different outlook.

19. nrpick

nrpick Member

I left Saia last week after 3 1/2 years. You could just feel the tension from everyone there.

A couple months ago when they had the mandatory driver meetings with the head of HR, regional OM, and others, the lack of understanding what was going on from a drivers perspective was mind blowing.

Thankfully being in my late 30's made the move to leave easier but it still sucks to start over.

20. maverick50

maverick50 Member

So, what happened Train? Did you have an accident and now you are "3 days on the street", waiting for an answer as to what they are going to do with you? I've been there but not with a camera in the truck. Good Luck cause what comes around, goes around.