SAIA | Decision making day

Let me clear something up. Now I've been very complimentary towards OD but that doesn't mean I would like to work their. SAIA's healthcare beats theirs hands down. It's better and much less expensive. We have free healthcare after 10 years of service and overtime after 45. What impresses me is the operation ratio. 80.9 in the last quarter. No one even comes close to that. That's all that impresses me about them. They have issues like everyone else. The DOT monitors what's in the best interest of safety in trucking and they do a remarkable job. Whoever pushed that CB, Bluetooth policy made a big mistake IMO. That's my biggest problem with SAIA. For the most part the service centers won't see pushback from the drivers because they fear retaliation. They vent to their peers and isn't good. Drivers feel betrayed because no other LTL COMPANY has such a policy. It's discouraging when you pass our competition and they are seen with Bluetooth's on.

Last edited:
Let me clear something up. Now I've been very complimentary towards OD but that doesn't mean I would like to work their. SAIA's healthcare beats theirs hands down. It's better and much less expensive. We have free healthcare after 10 years of service and overtime after 45. What impresses me is the operation ratio. 80.9 in the last quarter. No one even comes close to that. That's all that impresses me about them. They have issues like everyone else. The DOT monitors what's in the best interest of safety in trucking and they do a remarkable job. Whoever pushed that CB, Bluetooth policy made a big mistake IMO. That's my biggest problem with SAIA. For the most part the service centers won't see pushback from the drivers because they fear retaliation. They vent to their peers and isn't good. Drivers feel betrayed because no other LTL COMPANY has such a policy. It's discouraging when you pass our competition and they are seen with Bluetooth's on.

Train , I see you edited this am post, you claim to be a truck driver,yet said you were not a laywer, boy, thats a first!
I think you said you had no reason to lie,yet you claim to be a truck driver, another first! guess it's a good thing you
made the edit!
Good job, keep up the good work

OD has an outstanding OR. Like, far and away better than anyone else. Maybe their healthcare isn't quite as impressive as that of Saia, but at the end of the day, they leave everyone else in the dust. They set the industry standard. I can't help but believe that those results are at least partially attributed to their philosophy of seeing employees as assets, rather than liabilities. Treat people well, they will reciprocate. Treat them poor, they will reciprocate. It's not that hard of a concept. I don't want to open a can of worms here, but money is not a long term motivator. It is a short term answer to long term issues.

OD has an outstanding OR. Like, far and away better than anyone else. Maybe their healthcare isn't quite as impressive as that of Saia, but at the end of the day, they leave everyone else in the dust. They set the industry standard. I can't help but believe that those results are at least partially attributed to their philosophy of seeing employees as assets, rather than liabilities. Treat people well, they will reciprocate. Treat them poor, they will reciprocate. It's not that hard of a concept. I don't want to open a can of worms here, but money is not a long term motivator. It is a short term answer to long term issues.
I guess that it depends on the location you work out of . At the location nearest me, you have to hire on as team and you are required to run six days get Thirty Four off and your gone again. Not very family friendly IMO. I want no part of that.

Im sure not having to pay overtime contributes to that, among other things.

I learned my lesson, I was texting while driving a zero turn and ran over a rose bush, Billy gave me a 3 lawn layoff
plus a 15% pay reduction.

bully-tools-weeders-92392-64_1000.jpg

Wishing you the best of luck, but if things don't turn out I'm thinking of investing in a large Kubota tractor with A/C cab, AM/FM radio all the bells and whistles that will be coupled with a brand new LandPride 16' mower. I've got some big plans in the future and will need quality mower operators to take my operation to the next level.

Gots a sign man down the street and he'll put a decal of your name under the door handle if it helps make your decision easier.

Reactions: Ump
Wishing you the best of luck, but if things don't turn out I'm thinking of investing in a large Kubota tractor with A/C cab, AM/FM radio all the bells and whistles that will be coupled with a brand new LandPride 16' mower. I've got some big plans in the future and will need quality mower operators to take my operation to the next level.

Gots a sign man down the street and he'll put a decal of your name under the door handle if it helps make your decision easier.

WOW, i never had an assigned tractor in 35 yrs, this sounds like a deal if we can get around this 15% thing.
How about a chrome stack?
How about a CB, with 2 antennas so I can chat with all my "Good Buddies"?,

WOW, i never had an assigned tractor in 35 yrs, this sounds like a deal if we can get around this 15% thing.
How about a chrome stack?
How about a CB, with 2 antennas so I can chat with all my "Good Buddies"?,

Let me tell you friend, won't be speaking to many good buddies in this industry unless you speak the south of the border language.