SAIA | Delivering new trailers for others

Demolitionman

TB Veteran
Credits
Is it something new we are doing, or have I just not noticed this before? Over a couple of months I have noticed a bunch of DST trailers on our yard in ATL that are being set up as one ways being pulled by our drivers. Last Friday night there were a bunch of Xtra Lease trailers being set up as one ways as well. I pulled a used trailer back that has to be delivered to a trailer dealer here. I think it's an easy way to make money, but hopefully they are keeping on top of the trailer pool so it doesn't get any more screwed up than it is.

When I started 7 years ago we had to rent 6 from them b/c we didn't have enough trailers to go around for the 4 of us they hired at the same time. These were being relocated for Xtra.

I still don't understand why we bought R & L. Unless, we are going to get into the truckload business again.

It's just a way to make extra money. It's just a brokerage from what I understand, so they sell the freight and make it available to owner operators. It could also be a way to get into contract hauling.

There is no expense in 3pl, no trucks, no terminals, and no drivers.
You may see sometruck loads for backhauls, where usually you run empty.

We (YRC Freight) in Raleigh,NC just moved 10 CEVA vans to Columbus. Free rental and getting paid to move the trailers. All companies do it.