FedEx Freight | Deplorable and shameful or incompetent? You decide

FedexLube

TB Regular
Credits
2 centers on in the northeast that shall remain nameless were told last month that center A was losing 2 runs and that freight would be diverted to center B. Consequently 2 drivers would be allowed to transfer from center A to B to follow freight.

Meh, makes sense right? But here’s the real meat and potatoes

Not only was center A allowed to follow fright but they allowed a 3rd driver to transfer to center B with no freight, but just for the hell of it. To make matters worse, it was determined that it would be on a voluntary basis and anyone in center A could transfer to B and bump with their job class seniority. Mind you the rules on dovetailing were changed the week prior on the interweb.

So now you might say, well, that sucks, but after all it’s FedEx and they’ve always done what they want.

But if what you’ve heard thus far sounds extremely crappy, get a load of this....

Now, center A is looking for 4 (yes 4) road drivers 3 weeks later now that 3 senior guys have decided to transfer to center B.

I don’t need to tell you the implications of this travesty in judgment from transportation. If it happens there, it can happen to you too

IKR! But I left out the bestest part ever....

New provision for these 3 lucky drivers...
If at any point in time within a 2year time period, that these drivers decide that center B isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be, they can come back right where they left off. True story btw

It all sounds legit to me.

Center A lost two runs to center B but three drivers can “follow the freight”...it’s quite possible that the third driver is following freight that was previously moved via PT (it’s happened to us in the past)...we lost one run to GSP during the last COO yet three drivers were allowed to “follow the freight” due to freight being moved that was serviced by PT. “Following the freight” has always been per voluntary basis...as far as I’ve known...not heard of a policy change on the matter. Not sayin there hasn’t been one, just sayin we haven’t heard of one in CLT.

Again, that’s not unheard of. We’ve had opportunities in the past to follow the freight and no one bit but they still ended up adding drivers anyways. With the current COO, one driver could “follow the freight” from RCH to CLT, no one took it so we’re adding 1 more driver.

As for the timetable to return, it used to be 6 months waaaay back in the day but they changed that a while back...not sure on the timetable now but it sounds like two years. I can check with the guys who left during the last COO and see what they were told as far as returning...

It all sounds legit to me.

Center A lost two runs to center B but three drivers can “follow the freight”...it’s quite possible that the third driver is following freight that was previously moved via PT (it’s happened to us in the past)...we lost one run to GSP during the last COO yet three drivers were allowed to “follow the freight” due to freight being moved that was serviced by PT. “Following the freight” has always been per voluntary basis...as far as I’ve known...not heard of a policy change on the matter. Not sayin there hasn’t been one, just sayin we haven’t heard of one in CLT.

Again, that’s not unheard of. We’ve had opportunities in the past to follow the freight and no one bit but they still ended up adding drivers anyways. With the current COO, one driver could “follow the freight” from RCH to CLT, no one took it so we’re adding 1 more driver.

As for the timetable to return, it used to be 6 months waaaay back in the day but they changed that a while back...not sure on the timetable now but it sounds like two years. I can check with the guys who left during the last COO and see what they were told as far as returning...

Sooooo you're ok that they are looking for 4 road drivers in center A? I wasn't aware we were allowed to use crack b4 our shift begins

Red, maybe your reading something different than what I'm reading.. Center A just said they are letting 3 drivers go to center B.. Now 2 weeks l8tr Center A is looking to replace those guys and then some. I dunno, maybe I'm just retarded.
No, we’re reading the same thing, I just don’t get why some are upset? Moving freight to service through a different lane (another center) has nothing to do with the amount of drivers needed to service an entire center.

Hypothetically speaking, if no driver’s from center A followed the freight to center B and center B had to add 3 drivers and center A added 1 more driver, no one would’ve said a thing although it’s exactly the same...

Look brother, your logic is flawed and I'm not going to go round and round on this. Someone screwed the pooch here and it damn sure wasn't me. But for the sake of discussion since its Friday and I'm leaving soon...

"Moving freight to service through a different lane (another center) has nothing to do with the amount of drivers needed to service an entire center."
Really?? Do I really need to elaborate on this paragraph??

" if no driver’s from center A followed the freight to center B and center B had to add 3 drivers and center A added 1 more driver, no one would’ve said a thing although it’s exactly the same"
If A is hiring drivers 2 weeks later after F'n B in the poop chute without lube (pun intended??), then clearly there wasn't a need to get A involved with B at all. If B had to hire drivers for whatever reason, they clearly could have done that from their own center or outside if need be.

Are you sure you're not with management?? Seems as though your attempting to justify a debacle with screwed up flawed logic. Just sayn'

I'm closing out of this thread. Absurd handling of the situation IMO

Look brother, your logic is flawed and I'm not going to go round and round on this. Someone screwed the pooch here and it damn sure wasn't me. But for the sake of discussion since its Friday and I'm leaving soon...

"Moving freight to service through a different lane (another center) has nothing to do with the amount of drivers needed to service an entire center."

" if no driver’s from center A followed the freight to center B and center B had to add 3 drivers and center A added 1 more driver, no one would’ve said a thing although it’s exactly the same"
If A is hiring drivers 2 weeks later after F'n B in the poop chute without lube (pun intended??), then clearly there wasn't a need to get A involved with B at all. If B had to hire drivers for whatever reason, they clearly could have done that from their own center or outside if need be.

Are you sure you're not with management?? Seems as though your attempting to justify a debacle with screwed up flawed logic. Just sayn'

My logic isn’t flawed at all, it’s (un)common sense.

Just curious, how did center A “f B in the poop chute without lube”?? They moved freight/runs from A to B, should drivers from A not been allowed to follow the freight to B even though they still need drivers...then, two weeks later, two months later?? That’s absurd!! My point is regardless of how many drivers center A needs, if enough freight to justify 3 runs is moved, 3 drivers can follow, period.

I’m positive I’m not management...funny how when someone disagrees with someone they’re accused of being management...why...because I’m not going along with the flawed logic that a debacle occurred??

With all due respect, you’re entitled to your opinion just as I, we just disagree...

It's all sounds legit to a person that doesn't care about anyone but their selve.

Sorry brother, but I’m calling bull ::shit:: on this one. If A were cutting runs historically it’s been bottom dudes out first, but conveniently now it’s volunteers only to bump guys out of a job at A. Then to hire 4 at A just a couple weeks later? Sounds personal if you ask me.

Sorry brother, but I’m calling bull :::shit::: on this one. If A were cutting runs historically it’s been bottom dudes out first, but conveniently now it’s volunteers only to bump guys out of a job at A. Then to hire 4 at A just a couple weeks later? Sounds personal if you ask me.
Sorry bro but I’ve been with the company for over 23 years and it’s always been voluntary as for who follows the freight. We’ve experienced situations where if no one went then driver’s got laid off (no one was ever forced) and other times they’ve added drivers shortly thereafter regardless of whether anyone went or not...it all depends on the economy, freight flow, projections, etc. In a couple of situations, we’ve had drivers follow the freight to keep their jobs only to return with their seniority at a later date.

If I’ve learned anything about this company it’s that they don’t do anything on a whim, almost everything is analyzed, over analyzed, and then analyzed again...sometimes it takes years to implement a change...and most decisions are made with 10 year projections in mind...

Thats interesting, I haven't been here that long, but in 2009 while in MO when we had a change of Ops and I was on the bottom, I was told hit the road or transfer. That was my only choice. 2 guys above me were given the choice to follow the freight to SGF and they did with company seniority and not with ridiculous job class seniority.

Sorry brother, but I’m calling bull :::shit::: on this one. If A were cutting runs historically it’s been bottom dudes out first, but conveniently now it’s volunteers only to bump guys out of a job at A. Then to hire 4 at A just a couple weeks later? Sounds personal if you ask me.
If the run was being cut to put freight on the rail then yes the bottom guys would be the fitted to go, but what was described was freight being moved to another center, so drivers can on a voluntary basis "chase" the freight. This is done by senority. Now as far as putting on more drivers after the 3 left, someone decided that there was still enough to keep everyone busyand add 4 more drivers. As far as the 2 years to be able to go back, haven't heard of that one, but I'd get it in writing if that's what they were told otherwise when they decide they want to go back, sorry there aren't any openings at center A, or that is not in our policy is what they would be told

Thats interesting, I haven't been here that long, but in 2009 while in MO when we had a change of Ops and I was on the bottom, I was told hit the road or transfer. That was my only choice. 2 guys above me were given the choice to follow the freight to SGF and the did with company seniority and not with ridiculous job class seniority.
Like I said, we’ve had situations where guys got laid off but no one was forced to go. Some went back to the City if openings were available and some left the company altogether, but no one was forced to transfer.

If the run was being cut to put freight on the rail then yes the bottom guys would be the fitted to go, but what was described was freight being moved to another center, so drivers can on a voluntary basis "chase" the freight. This is done by senority. Now as far as putting on more drivers after the 3 left, someone decided that there was still enough to keep everyone busyand add 4 more drivers. As far as the 2 years to be able to go back, haven't heard of that one, but I'd get it in writing if that's what they were told otherwise when they decide they want to go back, sorry there aren't any openings at center A, or that is not in our policy is what they would be told
Correct...they could come back with their seniority if the freight came back to center A, then they could follow the freight back....but I also seem to recall a policy where they could come back within a certain amount of time with their seniority but I’ll have to double check on that policy...