FedEx Freight | Deplorable and shameful or incompetent? You decide

I don't usually post on the boards, but maybe I can help clarify this policy. Yes, it is policy and has been since the mid to late Nineties as far as I remember

In '97 we were actually allowed to vote on this. The way I remember it, the outcome of the vote stated transfers would go to the bottom of their new board. A few months later we received a letter stating "upon further review" we have determined it only "fair" for transfers to take their seniority with them.

I'm paraphrasing but I believe the policy goes like this...
When freight is shifted from one center to another then the appropriate number of drivers can "follow their freight". Plain and simple. The transfers are offered by company seniority and those who transfer dovetail into their new center with their previous center's job class seniority date. Manpower need at either center is irrelevant in this scenario.

So, long ago AF determined it is only "fair" for a center losing a portion of its freight to allow drivers from that center to follow "their" freight. It may truly suck for some and may greatly benefit others but IT IS POLICY.

Hope this helps

Yo Lube!
Take IR's post into consideration, what is it about the certain service centers hiring more drivers after they follow the freight that chaps your hide??

Is it because even though A lost three runs to B, they gained other runs or work for three or four new drivers that the original three didn't have to transfer for???

Last edited:
Yo Lube!
Take IR's post into consideration, what is it about the certain service centers hiring more drivers after they follow the freight that chaps your hide??

Is it because even though A lost three runs to B, they gained other runs or work for three or four new drivers that the original three didn't have to transfer for???

That would be my guess.

Yo Lube!

Essentially only days later they are putting 4 back on? That’s egregious and rises to the level of incompetence of the highest order. Regardless of where your loyalties lie, policy or not, this stinks and could happen anywhere within the organization. There was clearly no thought of planning, just shuffle employee numbers around on the paperwork in front of them and have at it haphazardly.

Essentially only days later they are putting 4 back on? That’s egregious and rises to the level of incompetence of the highest order. Regardless of where your loyalties lie, policy or not, this stinks and could happen anywhere within the organization. There was clearly no thought of planning, just shuffle employee numbers around on the paperwork in front of them and have at it haphazardly.
With all due respect Lube, and I do respect your opinion, I’m kinda like BD and I just don’t understand the “chapped hide”...were the 3 guys who followed the freight from center A forced from the bottom or were they more senior guys who chose to leave?? I could see, understand, and even agree with your point if they were jr guys on the bottom who were forced but being senior guys who made a choice, I just can’t get there.

With all due respect Lube, and I do respect your opinion, I’m kinda like BD and I just don’t understand the “chapped hide”...were the 3 guys who followed the freight from center A forced from the bottom or were they more senior guys who chose to leave?? I could see, understand, and even agree with your point if they were jr guys on the bottom who were forced but being senior guys who made a choice, I just can’t get there.

You never can that's the problem. You all act like it's no big deal to pack you're family up and move on a whim, guess you never have been put in that position or maybe you might understand.

So say I took a job at center A. I’m the bottom guy and a year and a half later the guy that transferred to center B decided to come back I’d be bumped out of a job?

You don’t know me or what I’ve been through...

Stay on topic plz

You can learn a lot from the way you post on here. If you would have been through what lube is talking about maybe you would have a different perspective on the matter. I am staying on topic, one you have obviously never experienced.

Not sure of ALL of the details on this process, BUT... It's long standing policy to allow drivers to "follow the freight", when runs are moved. This is actually a pretty good (and fair) option for those who would otherwise lose these runs. It is also my understanding that drivers who follow the freight are allowed to keep those runs forever, unless they bid off of them. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Without the above option those effected would be pushed back through the ranks, via the bid process, bumping everyone in their path. This would cause more harm and disruption to center A, than letting the drivers follow. Drivers at center B remain unaffected, initially, if the drivers follow, since they never had those runs before.

The 2 year option to return, with seniority, sounds wrong and excessive, if accurate.

Is there a better option/policy that should be in place when runs are moved? Who exactly is harmed by this current policy? Seems to me, the biggest disruption potential applies to those who "exercise the option".

We had a similar thing happen at our barn in the northeast. The barn was split right after the national/freight merger due to not having enough space. They went right down the seniority list as to who wanted to stay at the freight center or move to the national center about 15 miles away. The drivers that choose to move to the national center had up to one year to transfer back to the freight center with there job class seniority, only if a position was opened up.

Not sure of ALL of the details on this process, BUT... It's long standing policy to allow drivers to "follow the freight", when runs are moved. This is actually a pretty good (and fair) option for those who would otherwise lose these runs. It is also my understanding that drivers who follow the freight are allowed to keep those runs forever, unless they bid off of them. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Without the above option those effected would be pushed back through the ranks, via the bid process, bumping everyone in their path. This would cause more harm and disruption to center A, than letting the drivers follow. Drivers at center B remain unaffected, initially, if the drivers follow, since they never had those runs before.

The 2 year option to return, with seniority, sounds wrong and excessive, if accurate.

Is there a better option/policy that should be in place when runs are moved? Who exactly is harmed by this current policy? Seems to me, the biggest disruption potential applies to those who "exercise the option".
Perhaps I misunderstood your post but I’ll have to correct an incorrect statement I think you made...when a driver “follows the freight” to another center, that run is not theirs forever, they’re simply following the freight to that center. The driver who dovetailed in by seniority can bid on whatever run they choose, they’re not obligated to take the run they followed. Also, any driver(s) senior to the driver who dovetailed in can take the new run if they so choose.

I agree, the option to follow the freight by seniority is the best option IMO.

Again, the option to return used to be six months. I think it may have changed a while back but not sure if it’s two years...it may be...but drivers can’t return just because they want to, a position has to be available first in order for them to return. In smaller centers it’s probably rare but in larger centers it happens more often.

Perhaps I misunderstood your post but I’ll have to correct an incorrect statement I think you made...when a driver “follows the freight” to another center, that run is not theirs forever, they’re simply following the freight to that center. The driver who dovetailed in by seniority can bid on whatever run they choose, they’re not obligated to take the run they followed. Also, any driver(s) senior to the driver who dovetailed in can take the new run if they so choose.

I agree, the option to follow the freight by seniority is the best option IMO.

Again, the option to return used to be six months. I think it may have changed a while back but not sure if it’s two years...it may be...but drivers can’t return just because they want to, a position has to be available first in order for them to return. In smaller centers it’s probably rare but in larger centers it happens more often.
Thanks for the info. I was told that when following the freight, the driver(s) "could" stay on that run, until they bid off of it. Then they fall into the "pool", based on seniority. Again, I don't mind being wrong, but I was told that one of 4 drivers that we had follow the freight to CLT, did stay on the particular run... Forever, as to not lose it. X-43, I think it was called, at the time.

Despite the fact that it makes good sense, I'll scratch that bit of 2nd hand info, based on your 1st hand feedback. Thanks for the correction. :1036316054:

Last edited:
The two year part is correct but the drivers that followed the freight have one opportunity to come back so in this example since terminal A already is hiring 4 drivers to replace the 3 that followed the freight they all will have used their one and only chance to come back... at least that’s the way it was explained to me in my center...other regions and centers may have their own interpretation of the policy

You never can that's the problem. You all act like it's no big deal to pack you're family up and move on a whim, guess you never have been put in that position or maybe you might understand.

Some have no shame on how low they'll sink to protect their own interest.

As far as the top the topic at hand, this type of behavior from FedEx doesn't surprise me one iota. It's why a company of that size needs a contract in place to protect the employees interest.